Is this the North Stand being built?

52 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

You were told wrong.  The cost of the stand was £150,000 and the club issued 150,000 debentures at £1 each to pay for it.   It never put us in financial difficulties.  Catterick wanted £50,000 to buy Joe Baker, the England CF at the time.  But that was an unconnected issue. 

The debentures were not £1, they were £100 in1961 when the average wage was around £9.  Clearly they did not sell 10,000 or the club would have done extremely well. They lasted for 30 years and paid an annual dividend of 6% (£6). Linked to each debenture was a seat for 30 years for which you had to pay but the seat was saved for you for until 2 weeks before a match and that included FA Cup semi- finals.  No-one else could have a season ticket in "your seat". My Dad and I had one each. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owls about that said:

Did Wednesday carry on playing there while all the ground construction was going on, cant recall playing away from Hillsborough at that time.

Yes - my Mum had a complete freak out as she was crushed on the Kop at a match v Spurs with a crowd of over 60k in there with just 3 sides open

Guest Copthorneowl
1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

They did.  We had two 55,000 sellouts that season.  60-61.   Spurs in the league which was not all ticket.  10,000 plus were locked out.  And Man U FAC.  1-1 draw and we won 7-2 in the replay.  

I was lucky enough to see all but one home game.  

I saw both those, in the Spurs game they came with a 100% win record we had dropped one point the rest wins. We beat Spurs 2-1 and went on to be runners up to them. Always sat in the old north stand with my dad.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

The debentures were not £1, they were £100 in1961 when the average wage was around £9.  Clearly they did not sell 10,000 or the club would have done extremely well. They lasted for 30 years and paid an annual dividend of 6% (£6). Linked to each debenture was a seat for 30 years for which you had to pay but the seat was saved for you for until 2 weeks before a match and that included FA Cup semi- finals.  No-one else could have a season ticket in "your seat". My Dad and I had one each. 

that certainly sounds more plausible ....I can remember for the cup final in 66 that debenture holders were guaranteed a ticket and didn't have clue back then what debenture holder was ...if they whacked out a 100 quid then they deserved one 

Guest Copthorneowl
6 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

I saw both those, in the Spurs game they came with a 100% win record we had dropped one point the rest wins. We beat Spurs 2-1 and went on to be runners up to them. Always sat in the old north stand with my dad.

Correction just checked we were not all wins and a draw but we did finish runners up and they were winners of the league and I'm pretty sure they were unbeaten when they came to Hillsborough........it's an age thing.

3 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

don't think thats right ....spurs were on a slump they had drawn the week before  and we'd certainly been hammered at wolves a couple of weeks before plus we'd drawn 2 or 3 games 

16 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The old north stand was a pile of rubble but I stood in the rubble with my dad and a few thousand others for that spurs match. We won 2-1 which was spurs first defeat after 17 or so games. We were second at the time  

Yep my Dad always say whilst only 3 sides were officially open (or should have been) that there was a lot of overspill.

He and Mum never saw the game. She freaked that much they retreated to behind the Kop but weren't allowed to leave until HT.

My Mum has never gone to a football ground again 

45 minutes ago, A12owl said:

The old north stand was a pile of rubble but I stood in the rubble with my dad and a few thousand others for that spurs match. We won 2-1 which was spurs first defeat after 17 or so games. We were second at the time  

I was on the Leppings Lane under the old scoreboard with my dad and uncle both blades 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Thank you

So much says it's definitely 100% Hillsborough but for some reason had a couple of doubts when checking out the photo, particularly the cantilever part which seemed to be a bit 'flat' to the roof

Some work was done on the roof after the Bradford fire. The angle of the roof was changed. So the roof is a "bit flat" on the photo.

2 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

You were told wrong.  The cost of the stand was £150,000 and the club issued 150,000 debentures at £1 each to pay for it.   It never put us in financial difficulties.  Catterick wanted £50,000 to buy Joe Baker, the England CF at the time.  But that was an unconnected issue. 

How can one be unconnected to the other.

1 hour ago, Andrew Robinson said:

So essentially lincs owl is making it up, and claiming what others think/know is false.     Whilst I wish it was not true, building that world first stand at that time did put the club in financial issues, which held the club up on the pitch.

Edited by HubristicClapper