Is this the North Stand being built?

1 minute ago, northderbyshireowl said:

It is. Slight pitch decline to the kop is the giveaway.

Thank you

So much says it's definitely 100% Hillsborough but for some reason had a couple of doubts when checking out the photo, particularly the cantilever part which seemed to be a bit 'flat' to the roof

Owlstalk Shop

14 minutes ago, dunsbyowl said:

Spot on Nev - the man who found Johan Cruyff!

Was only joking on the McClaren gag...

Was Buckingham who made his players run up and down the Kop to train and get them to jump over crush barriers

Bet the treatment room queue was longer than the Jolly Friar on Friday tea time!!!

Just now, parkfieldowl14 said:

1960/61.

Interesting, I was always (maybe wrongly) told it was built for the world cup and it cost more than we could reasonably afford, so put us in a bit of financial issues at the time.    I said 1965 for obvious reasons, but I am sure more forward thinking could have been in place and it happened for the world cup but several years before.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

Interesting, I was always (maybe wrongly) told it was built for the world cup and it cost more than we could reasonably afford, so put us in a bit of financial issues at the time.    I said 1965 for obvious reasons, but I am sure more forward thinking could have been in place and it happened for the world cup but several years before.

Love to think what could have been if Harry Caterick stayed at S6 and not gone to Everton in that period. :columbo:

10 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

You were told wrong.  The cost of the stand was £150,000 and the club issued 150,000 debentures at £1 each to pay for it.   It never put us in financial difficulties.  Catterick wanted £50,000 to buy Joe Baker, the England CF at the time.  But that was an unconnected issue. 

1 minute ago, owls about that said:

Did Wednesday carry on playing there while all the ground construction was going on, cant recall playing away from Hillsborough at that time.

They did.  We had two 55,000 sellouts that season.  60-61.   Spurs in the league which was not all ticket.  10,000 plus were locked out.  And Man U FAC.  1-1 draw and we won 7-2 in the replay.  

I was lucky enough to see all but one home game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just Looked online and that photo is there and states its at Hillsborough it's a Daily Mail photo along with many more including some belting shots of Cruyff 

And when he managed Barcelona, I do recall my dad said he was a bit of a "crackpot" I also remember seeing him smoking a lot of little cigars like Minotti and a daft ponytail 

I think Rodney Marsh once wrote that his training methods were unorthodox and somewhat dangerous (didn't think he would have trained much anyway?)

I've got an old football book of dad's from early 50'S that's got a chapter from Vic Buckingham at West Brom and one from Jackie Sewell

When we have got over Sunday and returned to mother earth I will take some copies off it and upload onto Forum 

Could just do with some advice where to post them on here .?

30 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

They did.  We had two 55,000 sellouts that season.  60-61.   Spurs in the league which was not all ticket.  10,000 plus were locked out.  And Man U FAC.  1-1 draw and we won 7-2 in the replay.  

I was lucky enough to see all but one home game.  

the bible says 58k for man utd ,56k for spurs and we had 55k against burnley in the cup .....obviously no  SAG back then .