Why don't Wedesday support local non league teams any more.

5 hours ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

In terms of sending teams for local first team friendlies.

With Wednesday not playing until Tuesday, I have had to look elsewhere for a local friendly today. Searched through many of our local non league sides and a few of the local league clubs are playing their first pre-season games at our local non league clubs. I already knew Stocksbridge were hosting United today but I didn't fancy sitting with 2000 pigs for the afternoon. I've ended up going off to watch Parkgate host Rotherham as they are my closest non league club to throw my money at that are playing today.

Further investigation show that United are going to Sheffield FC on Tuesday and Donny go to Armthorpe the same day. Each of these fixtures should be worth a good £15-20 grand to the local clubs. Which can make the difference between survival and peril financially.

We used to do this ourselves as we sent first teams to Sheffield, Hallam and Stocksbridge every year. But now they are lucky to get a U21 team.

I know we go to Alfreton each year now and it is a great day out but they aren't actually that local. They aren't even in the Sheffield FA. Sure they are a higher level. But do you really need a comparative game in your first run out?

I'm sure I'm moaning about something that very few care about but surely it would be better to help a local club out a bit.

We play Worksop Monday night but doubt it'll be first team

Guest Grez Bez
3 hours ago, salmonbones said:

Alfreton  aligned themselves with Sheffield United fans

They dind't

Grow up; non league teams need all the money they can get.

1 hour ago, Owl999 said:

All the pre season games are against no mark reams again, we need to be playing better a  standard of side.

our pre season games are very week this season ,the Portuguese ones are purely training games ,Mansfield and dony are fine but should be at least another couple games ,also what happened to planned game Saturday before season starts ? will dom howson do his job and ask carlos or club what happened . players wont have been tested at all before season starts so don't be be surprised if we have a slow start.

6 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Because some of the shitty non league clubs like Rotherham seem to throw kindness back in your face and forget that you helped them survive previously. Wasn't it also Alfreton who beat us 14-0 and attempted to dine on it worldwide forgetting that we had sent out under 16s to play em? Personally I'd like to see us play Sheffield FC every year and that's it local wise. We should be aiming for better friendly matches in order not to sleepwalk into the first quarter of the season like normal. 

3 hours ago, salmonbones said:

Whilst what he said might be a bit of a rant, it's also half true.

Alfreton did just as was described.   I mean didn't we have a 14 year old, a few 15 year old's in the squad, but they went for the jugular, and then aligned themselves with Sheffield United fans to turn it into a PR fest?    It really was as described. 

I remember John Pearson as manager having to calm things down when Wednesday beat his side also I think, was that at Don Valley?   

I went to this game at half time the score was 9-0, I did not see this but apparently the Alfreton chairman came over to some Wednesday Fans at half time and apologised.it was meant to be a fu full friendly and not an academy game.  Alfreton were expecting a second string  team and we sent a bunch of kids. Alfreton eased off in the second half. Which in many ways for them was a mistake as if they had scored 17 it would have been our biggest ever defeat. 

4 hours ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

Been a lot over the years as well use dto catch the bus up for the preseason games as kids. 

Even in the summer you need a woolly hat and a mug of bovril. 

Aye , the weather can be a bit wild up here , even in the summer 

5 minutes ago, steveger said:

I wouldn't send my enemies to Maltby! :biggrin:

Rumour has it Maltby asked if they could be twinned with Syria , but the Syrians told them to foook off. 

lollol

Guest Ferkorf

Wednesday haven't sent a first team to park steels for years.

Infact I can't remember an actual first team there since the late 90's early 00's.

It used to be a decent crowd to be fair.

Even when the first team wasn't there you could still catch the odd first teamer sat in the stands watching. 

I remember talking to chris waddle and nigel jemson in the stands in the very early 90's, waddle signed my shirt which I still have to this day.

I was probably about 10 year old then and I still have the shirt now.

I'll probably sneak away from my friends bbq round the corner from bracken moor to go have a pint or 2 watch the youngsters play