Why don't Wedesday support local non league teams any more.

In terms of sending teams for local first team friendlies.

With Wednesday not playing until Tuesday, I have had to look elsewhere for a local friendly today. Searched through many of our local non league sides and a few of the local league clubs are playing their first pre-season games at our local non league clubs. I already knew Stocksbridge were hosting United today but I didn't fancy sitting with 2000 pigs for the afternoon. I've ended up going off to watch Parkgate host Rotherham as they are my closest non league club to throw my money at that are playing today.

Further investigation show that United are going to Sheffield FC on Tuesday and Donny go to Armthorpe the same day. Each of these fixtures should be worth a good £15-20 grand to the local clubs. Which can make the difference between survival and peril financially.

We used to do this ourselves as we sent first teams to Sheffield, Hallam and Stocksbridge every year. But now they are lucky to get a U21 team.

I know we go to Alfreton each year now and it is a great day out but they aren't actually that local. They aren't even in the Sheffield FA. Sure they are a higher level. But do you really need a comparative game in your first run out?

I'm sure I'm moaning about something that very few care about but surely it would be better to help a local club out a bit.

I wonder why we don't mix 1st team & u23 at Sheffield, Stocksbridge & Hallam before sending u23 to places like Maltby, Parkgate,  Athersley etc 

Good for the club in goodwill, Good for players to knock the cobwebs off & youngsters get to mix with 1st team squad plus good days out for the fans so wins all round.

Because some of the shitty non league clubs like Rotherham seem to throw kindness back in your face and forget that you helped them survive previously. Wasn't it also Alfreton who beat us 14-0 and attempted to dine on it worldwide forgetting that we had sent out under 16s to play em? Personally I'd like to see us play Sheffield FC every year and that's it local wise. We should be aiming for better friendly matches in order not to sleepwalk into the first quarter of the season like normal. 

we do play the likes of Sheffield and Worksop, I watched these games last season. I'm pretty sure we also played stocksbridge too. 

I doubt these clubs clubs will be moaning that we didn't field a full strength side. Both the games I watched we won comfortably. 

The attendances at sheffield and worksop were way above their average, the clubs will have earned a tidy packet from these games. 

Our players have only just returned from pre season and I'd be suprised if we didn't play the local sides this pre season. 

9 minutes ago, David1867 said:

we do play the likes of Sheffield and Worksop, I watched these games last season. I'm pretty sure we also played stocksbridge too. 

I doubt these clubs clubs will be moaning that we didn't field a full strength side. Both the games I watched we won comfortably. 

The attendances at sheffield and worksop were way above their average, the clubs will have earned a tidy packet from these games. 

Our players have only just returned from pre season and I'd be suprised if we didn't play the local sides this pre season. 

They may be above average but first teams will draw at least 5 times more than a youth squad. Even if you just advertised it as first team but only played 4 Or 5 first team players.

16 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

Because some of the shitty non league clubs like Rotherham seem to throw kindness back in your face and forget that you helped them survive previously. Wasn't it also Alfreton who beat us 14-0 and attempted to dine on it worldwide forgetting that we had sent out under 16s to play em? Personally I'd like to see us play Sheffield FC every year and that's it local wise. We should be aiming for better friendly matches in order not to sleepwalk into the first quarter of the season like normal. 

Grow up, you sound like a 5 year old. 

Well weve got no game today because we started pre season on monday, which is about a week after everyone else coz of the playoffs. As for not sending first teams anymore I guess its because we go away on the whole Portugal trip for ten days. 

3 minutes ago, marcx666 said:

Well weve got no game today because we started pre season on monday, which is about a week after everyone else coz of the playoffs. As for not sending first teams anymore I guess its because we go away on the whole Portugal trip for ten days. 

I suppose it is the Portugal trip that makes the difference. We do go for a long time now.

57 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

One of the pigs best results that.

They banged on about that for ages. Bless em lol

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Living just round the corner from Braken Moor , i go and watch the steels quite a few times a season when wednesday arnt playing. 

32 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

R Recently moved to Stocksbridge so pleased to see were playing them on the 29th. 

Always a good little evening out up at Bracken Moor. 

Been a lot over the years as well use dto catch the bus up for the preseason games as kids. 

Even in the summer you need a woolly hat and a mug of bovril. 

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Grow up, you sound like a 5 year old. 

Whilst what he said might be a bit of a rant, it's also half true.

Alfreton did just as was described.   I mean didn't we have a 14 year old, a few 15 year old's in the squad, but they went for the jugular, and then aligned themselves with Sheffield United fans to turn it into a PR fest?    It really was as described. 

I remember John Pearson as manager having to calm things down when Wednesday beat his side also I think, was that at Don Valley?