Lets buy a top CB this summer and play 3 at the back

4 minutes ago, Justbeanz said:

Honestly don't know mate but in my opinion too much of a risk to start off relying on him and then losing him for four or five games. A center back n dominant midfielder have to be top priority signings along with a new lb and winger that can supply our strikers.

I think Sam would find it easier to play through it as well as a better chance of staying injury free. Look at David Luiz, looked crocked most of the 2nd half of the season but barely missed a minute on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

In an ideal world but we're looking at 46 league games. 

lets buy 2 top CBs then, and 1 of them can fight Hutch for the place. He they get it they must be good then, Hutch would be perfect to cover either CB or CM from the bench.

47 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think it mostly depends on Carlos and whether he is comfortable playing that formation. Look at Chelsea, If I would have said to you at the start of the season they were going to win the league playing Bolton reject Alonso and Mr loan, Moses as they wingback you would have laughed at me. It works because the manager makes it work, and the players are fit and disciplined. You have to know how to play the formation inside out to be really be successful at it. which is why Carlos may not change. 

Thats true, but the two players Chelsea are looking to upgrade on are, the full back positions, and they are very definitely looking at full backs and not wingers. They also use two holding midfielders and have one up front

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Thats true, but the two players Chelsea are looking to upgrade on are, the full back positions, and they are very definitely looking at full backs and not wingers. They also use two holding midfielders and have one up front

We play two holding midfielders. Sam Hutchinson and Barry Bannan.

lol

33 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

To play three at the back effectively we also need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs and if Hutchinson reverts back into defence then we need a replacement in midfield too. I would like us to change formation and tactics, and be more dominant and attacking. But it all depends upon getting the player recruitment right. Otherwise bring in some better players to suit the way we play now but play more balanced.

Hunt and Reach are both absolutely suited to playing wing back. Hutchinson would be suited to playing the middle of the back 3. I think we should give it a go but I think Carlos will stick to a back 4. Agree, we would need a new defensive midfielder - someone like Danny Williams would be perfect! 

39 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Hunt and Reach are both absolutely suited to playing wing back. Hutchinson would be suited to playing the middle of the back 3. I think we should give it a go but I think Carlos will stick to a back 4. Agree, we would need a new defensive midfielder - someone like Danny Williams would be perfect! 

And like Chelsea, Tottenham, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd, just play one up front

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

And like Chelsea, Tottenham, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Man Utd, just play one up front

Could 3-4-1-2 work? Juventus play this system.  Just think with the abundance of strikers we have, you've got to think that Carlos wants to play with 2 up top.

39 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Could 3-4-1-2 work? Juventus play this system.  Just think with the abundance of strikers we have, you've got to think that Carlos wants to play with 2 up top.

Its just my personal opinion, but having so many strikers is causing us some of the problems we have, regarding shape

3 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If the CB's are top class, it could work....bring on the cricket scores

I think we have a solid foundation already and when Hutchinson drops deep we play with a back three anyway.

I don't want radical changes in terms of a formal change in formation. I just think we need to sign more physicality/depth in the defensive mid/cb positions and sign wingers that Carlos trusts in order to get the balance right.

Just now, gurujuan said:

Its just my personal opinion, but having so many strikers is causing us some of the problems we have, regarding shape

Well I agree with you that our recruitment on strikers has been poor.  The funny thing is that I don't think any are suited to playing on their own up front.  You need to be strong, mobile, pacy, bring players into the game, score goals etc. Joao was the nearest we have to this but he hasn't developed and he doesn't look mentally tough enough to make it with us.

I just think we will play 2 up front next season but I don't like the look of us playing 4-4-2. Going 3-4-1-2 might be the solution as we would get the best out of Hunt, Reach and Hutchinson.  We also ensure we keep the striking department happy as we play 2 up front and we get an extra man in the middle which will suit our brand of football.

14 minutes ago, swfc.4.ever said:

lets buy 2 top CBs then, and 1 of them can fight Hutch for the place. He they get it they must be good then, Hutch would be perfect to cover either CB or CM from the bench.

No, disagree! SH will be used when fit and played in the position that suits the set up CC uses for that particular game. Either at CB or defensive MF. That's that.

SH is unrivalled IMHO, prone to injury but we have/he has managed his fitness v.well since signing for us. He's a little less card happy too (this is my biggest concern), which I think is great work from him. We just won't get 46 games out of him, and importantly we should appreciate that fact.

1 hour ago, swfc.4.ever said:

Play him along side Lee's with Hutchinson at CM also in the middle off the 2

Have no full backs but play reach on the left and a new right sided winger who can cross and tackle on the right

Lets play like Chelsea and smash the league!

in Sam Hutchinson, we have the player to make this work in my opinion. Lets do it WAWAW

The problem with no full backs is that it is easy for the opposition to counter act us! Quick diagonal passes into the areas where the full backs would have been and we are in trouble!! Chelsea pull it off but they have world class players!

Our problem and it's not being negative is the plan B or C! We have to be prepared to change what we do game by game if necessary so the opposition don't know what's coming!

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Lees on the right, Hutch in the middle and a new top class left sided centre half would be my preference. 

Yes me too, with another new CB who can challenge all 3 for their place in the team and adequately cover injuries. 

40 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Well I agree with you that our recruitment on strikers has been poor.  The funny thing is that I don't think any are suited to playing on their own up front.  You need to be strong, mobile, pacy, bring players into the game, score goals etc. Joao was the nearest we have to this but he hasn't developed and he doesn't look mentally tough enough to make it with us.

I just think we will play 2 up front next season but I don't like the look of us playing 4-4-2. Going 3-4-1-2 might be the solution as we would get the best out of Hunt, Reach and Hutchinson.  We also ensure we keep the striking department happy as we play 2 up front and we get an extra man in the middle which will suit our brand of football.

I just feel its another compromise, due to bad recruitment. However, with this new window, we might have a completely different landscape. Let's not forget though, in terms of progress, we are still moving in the right direction, so even if Carlos continues with the same set up, if he introduces better players, then we will continue to improve