What does it mean psychologically?

3 hours ago, GMOwl72 said:

For me we now have the situation that Play Offs should be. A straight shoot out between 3rd v 6th (with Reading at home) and 4th v 5th (with Wednesday at home).

Play offs should be one game not 2 legs with higher league finisher getting home advantage. Much more exciting.

Or the highest placed teams should have away goals count double. There was no incentive for us to attack today, so we played the 0-0 to take back to Hillsborough. Had away goals counted for us today - an advantage for finishing higher - then I think you'd have seen us attack more and go for a goal.

Sadly, there is absolutely no advantage to finishing higher in the play-off places. I hope that changes at some point, as whilst the game was dull today, it was a guarantee given there was zero benefit to us attacking and risking losing the game.

52 minutes ago, Bukta said:

Funny then how the bookies have almost halved our odds to go up on the back of a nil nil at Huddersfield.

only 1 winner where bookies are concerned so hope they are right this time

Guest Kameron

It means Wednesday night is their cup final, they've got nothing to lose, we on the other hand have everything to lose.

Wagner and Carlos are both smart managers. I can see Wed night being another cagey match. It's game on for both teams and we can't take anything for granted. I know I'm staying the obvious here and I'm sure Carlos and the players won't be taking anything for granted. We really have to be the 12th man more than ever. Having Hoops fit might give us an edge, or having Hutch fit.  Hopefully Nando can recover in time.  

6 hours ago, Big Rons Hairspray said:

Without wanting to sound overly arrogant, from a defensive perspective, that was a walk in the park compared to what Brighton threw at us 12 month ago in the away leg.

Hopefully it will give us the confidence to take it to them a bit on Wednesday.

2 games of football are never the same

14 hours ago, SiJ said:

No gimmes, but the atmosphere is going to be electric and intimidating on Wednesday night. 

We will need an early goal - the longer it goes in the more the pressure will be on us and less on them.

Home crowd isn't often noted for its patience either..

Its a double edge sword imo - we have to turn up for the full 90 as opposed to 45 which we have done on occasion at home.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

13 hours ago, Kameron said:

It means Wednesday night is their cup final, they've got nothing to lose, we on the other hand have everything to lose.

Someone negged you for that but you are probably spot on. They are in a similar position to what we were last season. Nobody would have predicted them finishing as high as what they did and, regardless of what happen on Wednesday, nobody can take that away from them. The mindset might just be give it our best shot and see what happens, if we concede a couple of goals, so be it. I am sure that Carlos has it covered but over confidence is not what is needed right now. Careful professionalism and patience are.

39 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

Someone negged you for that but you are probably spot on. They are in a similar position to what we were last season. Nobody would have predicted them finishing as high as what they did and, regardless of what happen on Wednesday, nobody can take that away from them. The mindset might just be give it our best shot and see what happens, if we concede a couple of goals, so be it. I am sure that Carlos has it covered but over confidence is not what is needed right now. Careful professionalism and patience are.

Totally agree - the pressure is on us and the longer it goes on without a goal, the more it will mount..

We will have to force things - something we sometimes struggle with at home.

Our fans arent always the most patient either ...

An early goal will go a long way to settling us.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl