Mixed feelings.

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The football is, at least, entertaining. We are being royally entertained, with most games being close affairs that could go either way. As someone who's in no particular hurry to get to the Premier League, I can sit back and enjoy. There are people who have a different view though, and desperately want to get to the promised land. Some have even put a timescale on that happening (perhaps a little foolishly) so there will be those who might be getting a little concerned that we might not have what it takes to get there.

i'm pretty much in the same boat as far as the prem is concerned and while for me winning is still more important than how we do it i'm really enjoying what i'm seeing.i really cant understand why so many are against how we play ,its entertaining ,its successful especially at home and whenever we get mentioned on tv the neutrals seem to enjoy watching us .

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

wow! i i didn't know he has clubs watched, i wonder if other clubs will catch on to that...

'he formulates a plan', i wouldn't think it takes much formulating, he's got just the one, druggery for 45 minutes and try and pick it up in the second half...

we need an anchor in m/f for a lot of games, likely all away games, there is no argument about it, otherwise it's an arse wide open policy...

but let me explain something about 'what's not to like'...

DC will have set a certain amount of money aside to get us into the premier...

we don't know how much, but like all money supplies it is exhaustible...

IF, and when it is exhausted, and IF we're not in the premier, what then?

so 'what's not to like' is, and will be the lack of promotion should it happen... 

my point is that watches other clubs and plans accordingly the experts on here dont do that and yet they think they know  a better way to beat them . i dont know what you do for a living but if i came up with a plan to make you better at your job despite never having done what you do  you'd probably think i was  a looney .

moving on to what happens if we dont get up ...i dont know but getting shot of carlos wouldnt be anymore of guarantee than the next bloke coming in getting us up .

Having said I'm enjoying watching the football, and I'm in no real hurry to get to the Premier League, I still want us to win, if not, at all costs. I do think Carlos could tweak things, that may give us a  better chance of taking the points, without necessarily losing our footballing ethos. I think that may well happen eventually, as he already has a conundrum of how to fit Abdi, Lee and Bannan into the same side. If he wants to do that, it might involve a slight change to the way we set up. 

12 minutes ago, torryowl said:

my point is that watches other clubs and plans accordingly the experts on here dont do that and yet they think they know  a better way to beat them . i dont know what you do for a living but if i came up with a plan to make you better at your job despite never having done what you do  you'd probably think i was  a looney .

moving on to what happens if we dont get up ...i dont know but getting shot of carlos wouldnt be anymore of guarantee than the next bloke coming in getting us up .

tbqh, the part i've highlighted i thought was a 'british standard practice'...

i don't want to get shut of carlos, i want a manager in above 'our coach', as was the original plan...

we are shipping too many goals, and having to scrape in (when we do get in), for me we lack the dynamic drive i've seen in other successful sides, we've swapped it for short pass possession football, and it is being shut down...

there are things wrong at s6, and they are not being addressed...

surely you begin to see our shortcomings of last season weren't being correctly addressed when nuhiu and semedo were resigned and multi m/f signings were made?

1 hour ago, BRADFIELDOWLS said:

As usual, our mistake (Reach) led to their great goal and Lansbury was also beating us in the air.

Mancienne contract's up soon and signing him in January will sort that problem.

Plus a  nutter in midfield, a young Cattermole perhaps.

Or a CARLTON MK 2 , like he used to protect Shezza. 

We already have a nutter for MF

3 minutes ago, dnhc said:

tbqh, the part i've highlighted i thought was a 'british standard practice'...

i don't want to get shut of carlos, i want a manager in above 'our coach', as was the original plan...

we are shipping too many goals, and having to scrape in (when we do get in), for me we lack the dynamic drive i've seen in other successful sides, we've swapped it for short pass possession football, and it is being shut down...

there are things wrong at s6, and they are not being addressed...

surely you begin to see our shortcomings of last season weren't being correctly addressed when nuhiu and semedo were resigned and multi m/f signings were made?

i think the mid field signings were always on the cards ,we moan that we dont have strength in depth well we have now with the signings of jones, abdi and reach ......we have 4 centre backs two imo who are outstanding . i dont see to much wrong with how we play but you cant budget for westwood chucking 3 goals away or some glaring misses by FF ,joao and fletcher .thats no criticism of them, all players make mistakes but without those errors we'd have at least 5 more points which would put us in the top 2 .of course if they continue to make mistakes and carlos doesnt act then i'll be giving him some stick as well .

I thought we were ok on Saturday.  Not outstanding but that was more a matter of individuals not hitting peaks rather than systemic.  

We're almost inevitably going to seem stronger in the second half. Games open out and we are a tiring side to play against.  In contrast to the Bristol game the first half performance seemed broadly alright. Quite a few chances and their goal slightly freaky.

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Having said I'm enjoying watching the football, and I'm in no real hurry to get to the Premier League, I still want us to win, if not, at all costs. I do think Carlos could tweak things, that may give us a  better chance of taking the points, without necessarily losing our footballing ethos. I think that may well happen eventually, as he already has a conundrum of how to fit Abdi, Lee and Bannan into the same side. If he wants to do that, it might involve a slight change to the way we set up. 

I'm enjoying being a contender in this league, I'm more wary of the financial need for promotion though.

Whilst we play good football, I think teams are putting a stop to that. I found Saturday's game a frustrating watch to be honest. That will be the challenge for the team and fans now.

43 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I'm enjoying being a contender in this league, I'm more wary of the financial need for promotion though.

Whilst we play good football, I think teams are putting a stop to that. I found Saturday's game a frustrating watch to be honest. That will be the challenge for the team and fans now.

Thats what I meant by a slight tweak, somehow I think getting Abdi, Lee and Bannan all playing centrally, let's them play to their strengths, and gives us more control. We have full backs who are better at going forward, then defending, so let them provide the width. Often, with two wingers, one of them is a bystander, and we are left stretched in the middle of the park. At some point, I think we'll have to make the change.

Edited by gurujuan

34 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i think the mid field signings were always on the cards ,we moan that we dont have strength in depth well we have now with the signings of jones, abdi and reach ......we have 4 centre backs two imo who are outstanding . i dont see to much wrong with how we play but you cant budget for westwood chucking 3 goals away or some glaring misses by FF ,joao and fletcher .thats no criticism of them, all players make mistakes but without those errors we'd have at least 5 more points which would put us in the top 2 .of course if they continue to make mistakes and carlos doesnt act then i'll be giving him some stick as well .

one of the questions with the m/f multi signings is how do you keep them all happy?

and another worry is he brings players into the side in positions they don't look to good in (abdi)...

although having brought him on saturday in central role, he looked as though he was in wim yonk mode...

it's ok stating our 'failings' have lessened our points tally, but brum had a clear cut penalty turned down in the first half, and from memory florest missed a sitter at 1-0...

15 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Thats what I meant by a slight tweak, somehow I think getting Abdi, Lee and Bannan all playing centrally, let's them play to their strengths, and gives us more control. We have full backs who are better at going forward, then defending, so let them provide the width. Often, with two wingers, one of them is a bystander, and we are left stretched in the middle of the park. At some point, I think we'll have to make the change.

the far winger should tuck inside when play is on the opposite wing, it's not the 1930's...

30 minutes ago, dnhc said:

the far winger should tuck inside when play is on the opposite wing, it's not the 1930's...

Agreed, its the only way that system can work. I'm not sure that our wingers are that type of player though, well maybe Matias is. I don't class Forestieri as a winger, even though he often plays wide left

12 minutes ago, dnhc said:

one of the questions with the m/f multi signings is how do you keep them all happy?

and another worry is he brings players into the side in positions they don't look to good in (abdi)...

although having brought him on saturday in central role, he looked as though he was in wim yonk mode...

it's ok stating our 'failings' have lessened our points tally, but brum had a clear cut penalty turned down in the first half, and from memory florest missed a sitter at 1-0...

if you want strength in depth then you cant really worry about keeping them happy .......they are getting well paid for being part of the squad ,they'll get there chance sooner or later then its down to them to keep the shirt ......what do people want ,they moan when he makes changes saying he changes it to much then moan when he doesnt .

Just now, gurujuan said:

Agreed, its the only way that system can work. I'm not sure that our wingers are that type of player though, well maybe Matias is. I don't class Forestieri as a winger, even though he often plays wide left

correct he's not, and i don't think he looks happy doing it...

torryowl pointed out earlier about fans wanting this, that, and the other formation and/or team, in general i'm not for that...

however on this occasion i'll play devil's advocate and say is he better playing attacking m/f behind a front 2 (i realise it's very extravagant away from home) it's virtually 3 up, but i've seen people on here calling for that...

i'm assuming reach will eventually play on the left wing, and i keep hearing abdi is the dogsballs in c/m, for me lee HAS to play, so??? 

with a m/f 3 that includes reach out wide, and that has ff in front of them, i figure we need a hell of a good m/f anchor or holding player but then i've 12 men on the field...

if i'd come on here in early august and said 'ff might struggle to get into the side next term, or he might not fit in' you'd think i was fishing...

if you had one spot, would you pick lee or bannan?

if you had one spot would you pick ff or abdi?

ff or hooper?

reach or buckley, or both?

it's a minefield, and i'm pretty sure carlos is still looking for the answer, but then he bought the m/f's not me, if i'd had to pay for them he'd have had to explain each and every one of them,,,

and right now he'd be explaining who the best were, and how they fitted together in the side when available...

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

if you want strength in depth then you cant really worry about keeping them happy .......they are getting well paid for being part of the squad ,they'll get there chance sooner or later then its down to them to keep the shirt ......what do people want ,they moan when he makes changes saying he changes it to much then moan when he doesnt .

correct you'd have to go with the first 2 parts of your post...

as for the third, it's very likely everybody want's something different to everyone else, it's only being a football fan in this internet and 'i'm the manager' game time, with sky and the likes chipping in with it's experts, everybody is the 'new' mourinho...

33 minutes ago, dnhc said:

correct he's not, and i don't think he looks happy doing it...

torryowl pointed out earlier about fans wanting this, that, and the other formation and/or team, in general i'm not for that...

however on this occasion i'll play devil's advocate and say is he better playing attacking m/f behind a front 2 (i realise it's very extravagant away from home) it's virtually 3 up, but i've seen people on here calling for that...

i'm assuming reach will eventually play on the left wing, and i keep hearing abdi is the dogsballs in c/m, for me lee HAS to play, so??? 

with a m/f 3 that includes reach out wide, and that has ff in front of them, i figure we need a hell of a good m/f anchor or holding player but then i've 12 men on the field...

if i'd come on here in early august and said 'ff might struggle to get into the side next term, or he might not fit in' you'd think i was fishing...

if you had one spot, would you pick lee or bannan?

if you had one spot would you pick ff or abdi?

ff or hooper?

reach or buckley, or both?

it's a minefield, and i'm pretty sure carlos is still looking for the answer, but then he bought the m/f's not me, if i'd had to pay for them he'd have had to explain each and every one of them,,,

and right now he'd be explaining who the best were, and how they fitted together in the side when available...

Its gonna take some working out, and we haven't yet done that. As others have said though, we're still picking up points, and we're still entertaining. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but that's no surprise really, if Carlos himself doesn't know. The balance isn't right yet, that's for sure. Let's forget about it being a squad game, for the moment, that's a given anyway. 

We have made, for us anyway, two significant purchases this summer, significant in that they cost a lot of money. Abdi was surely bought to play a central midfield role, while I assume Reach was to play wide left. In Carlos's favoured 4-4-2 system, that leaves one central midfield place, and one wide right. Carlos generally goes with Wallace wide right, but maybe Buckley, a more orthodox right winger, may eventually get the nod. So, Lee or Bannan for the one remaining place? I would hate to choose between them, and anyway, 4-4-2 is not my ideal system. However, it's the one Carlos likes to play, so he will have to choose who he leaves out. Similarly up front, it looks to be a choice between Hooper or Forestieri, to partner Fletcher. Again, a tough choice, but one Carlos will have to make, if we are to have a settled side. It's no surprise really that we haven't got the balance quite right, because often it's been a compromise trying to include players by playing them in positions that won't necessarily get the best out of them. 

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Its gonna take some working out, and we haven't yet done that. As others have said though, we're still picking up points, and we're still entertaining. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but that's no surprise really, if Carlos himself doesn't know. The balance isn't right yet, that's for sure. Let's forget about it being a squad game, for the moment, that's a given anyway. 

We have made, for us anyway, two significant purchases this summer, significant in that they cost a lot of money. Abdi was surely bought to play a central midfield role, while I assume Reach was to play wide left. In Carlos's favoured 4-4-2 system, that leaves one central midfield place, and one wide right. Carlos generally goes with Wallace wide right, but maybe Buckley, a more orthodox right winger, may eventually get the nod. So, Lee or Bannan for the one remaining place? I would hate to choose between them, and anyway, 4-4-2 is not my ideal system. However, it's the one Carlos likes to play, so he will have to choose who he leaves out. Similarly up front, it looks to be a choice between Hooper or Forestieri, to partner Fletcher. Again, a tough choice, but one Carlos will have to make, if we are to have a settled side. It's no surprise really that we haven't got the balance quite right, because often it's been a compromise trying to include players by playing them in positions that won't necessarily get the best out of them. 

the latter part of your post that i have highlighted is for me one reason we will struggle to go up this term...

for me wallace is woeful, i'm staggered that there's one left back in the division that doesn't know he'll show to the outside and then come inside onto his left every time, it's like watching sedgewick again, but on the opposite flank...

the minefield of a non settled side will cost us, how much over a season we don't know...

2 hours ago, dnhc said:

the latter part of your post that i have highlighted is for me one reason we will struggle to go up this term...

for me wallace is woeful, i'm staggered that there's one left back in the division that doesn't know he'll show to the outside and then come inside onto his left every time, it's like watching sedgewick again, but on the opposite flank...

the minefield of a non settled side will cost us, how much over a season we don't know...

they will know but they cant seem to stop him doing it ...... i rate wallace and would always have him in my side ,he links well with hunt(who i dont rate) and does his share of tracking back.he scores goals and weighed in with most assists last season .