My new favourite Wednesday video - vs. Manchester United, 1961

I was there top right of the Kop

some fantastic nostalgisa Kivo Thankyou very much

few lol moments   especially that crossfield ball from bobby charlton that hit the ref  who stumbled and wobbled a bit  ( if you got hit with a wet casey it flippinghurt)  If that'd been alcock we'd still be finding bits of him in the pitch now

tbh how any football could be played on that pitch was amazing  

don't miss them blasted rattles  ( for the kids on here who never seen them they were wooden clacker things you whirled around)

I recognise - Tony Kay (captain), Ron Springett, Keith Ellis, Don Megson, John Fantham, Peter Swan (with the shorts pulled up high), Tom McAnearney - help me out with the rest.

Peter Johnson?

Wilkinson?

Alan Finney?

O'somebody perhaps?

I would have thought you've got all 10 right. Bobby Craig, could possibly be the missing player.

The only O' I can think of is Ralph O' Donnell but he usually stood in for Swanny.

Billy Griffin was another member of that squad but he usually stood out cos of his really blond hair.

Can't believe someone's not got a programme. It's a few months before I started going or I would have

Really interesting stuff that. The team in the early 60s were obviously something to be reckoned with.

I have seen pictures of the ground like that but when I started going in the early/mid 70s the West & North Stand were long established.

The pitch, can you imagine the present team trying to play on that.

As for any video of the 7-2, I would imagine the manure fans will have seen to that being destroyed long ago!

Indeed

I've just looked at it again and I can't see Peter Swan coming out or in the footage so it would have been O'Donnell.

Can't spot Bobby Craig either so I reckon you're spot on Bramhall

swan was out with the injuries he picked up in the coach crash that did for mcmillan .....

swan was out with the injuries he picked up in the coach crash that did for mcmillan .....

Thanks. I'd forgotten that the coach crash was only a few weeks before. Apart from poor Dougie, Swan was the most seriously injured as I remember.

Ridiculous and far fetched, but it does make you wonder what happened to the coverage of the replay.

I remember when Layne, Swan and Kay were exposed by the People in the betting scandal that the paper promised even bigger names to be exposed the following week. Rumour was that there were Man U players involved.

In the event the following weeks paper had none of the big names they'd promised and I believe they were ' encouraged' to play down the story.