My new favourite Wednesday video - vs. Manchester United, 1961

Absolutely fantastic! What a find, and 19 minutes of it too. Is there any grass on the pitch ? The ball often just gently rolls to a halt. With heavy pitches like that and the leather ball and no substitutes the players must have been exhausted. To see the gap for the cantilever is really interesting historically, probably the only moving images of it at that stage.

Rattles, hats, old knitted bar scarves (I have one still), marvellous, it's made my night.

Thanks for posting.

There were about 22 minutes altogether but 3 minutes of that was the cameraman weeing about and forgetting to turn it off at half-time.

The clips were all over the place - had to separate them into first and second halves first, then add action replays (the bits slowed down) that were filmed from different angles and added to the end of the reel.

Got a few more to add too

There were about 22 minutes altogether but 3 minutes of that was the cameraman weeing about and forgetting to turn it off at half-time.

The clips were all over the place - had to separate them into first and second halves first, then add action replays (the bits slowed down) that were filmed from different angles and added to the end of the reel.

Sterling effort Kivo!

Little did I know it at the time, as a couple of Mancs took the P out of me as they had their replay, but I was just days away from my first away game a visit to Old Trafford. Not the Theatre of Dreams then, more like a nightmare as the Owls triumphed 7-2, it was just another ground.

More than 65 thousand in Old Trafford that night as the order was given to lock the turn styles with it still rammed over the wall at the back of the Stretford end.  

My dad always used to tell me that Bobby Craig in midfield was the real heartbeat of that side; bought from some obscure Scottish club half way through the previous season. He didn't play in this match but was back for the replay.

But he had real attitude problems....another one that didn't make the most of his talents.

That's awesome Kivo. Brilliant work.

I really enjoyed watching that. I laughed quite a bit at the shocking camera work, and the pitch, and the tackles. Boy has football come on a lot in 54 years.

I didn't realise which ground it was at, at first, seeing all the cars parked down the south stand (is that correct?). I have never seen any footage of the North stand being built either and didn't realise construction had started that long before the World Cup, as it this way before I was born.

VEry interesting though so thanks for putting it all together.

Great stuff , thanks for that . I was at the game but didn't make the replay 'cos too young and had homework to do . It was reported on Sportsview and I dont think Peter Dimmock could believe what he was reading as the scoreline kept building up .They had a young keeper in the nets , Briggs , who had a mare and I'm not sure he was ever seen or heard of again after that game .

Great memories , thanks again .