Is our biggest signing yet to come ?

Guest Gazzaswfc

Guest Gazzaswfc

Think the marquee signing we been looking for is imminent then we need to ship few out then let things settle down. the second Half yesterday showed we have to play 442 at home & the one up top away & counter attack teams

This is another of those modern terms I don't understand. A bit like when somebody described a player as a "real unit". Why couldn't they just say he's a big lad? What's a "marquee" signing?

I know what a marquee is, (I used to buy sheets for wagons from G H Mudford, the marquee manufacturers), but don't get why a player would be a marquee signing. Why not say, "Important" or, "major"?

Marquee, in terms of football, like, " a real unit", is one of those words or phrases, which for no apparent reason is suddenly very trendy, but which actually is ridiculous because it means nowt.

This is another of those modern terms I don't understand. A bit like when somebody described a player as a "real unit". Why couldn't they just say he's a big lad? What's a "marquee" signing?

I know what a marquee is, (I used to buy sheets for wagons from G H Mudford, the marquee manufacturers), but don't get why a player would be a marquee signing. Why not say, "Important" or, "major"?

Marquee, in terms of football, like, " a real unit", is one of those words or phrases, which for no apparent reason is suddenly very trendy, but which actually is ridiculous because it means nowt.

Why say "important" or "major" when you can marquee?

Guest Deleted member

From the OeD

[AS MODIFIER] Leading; pre-eminent:

a marquee player

[With allusion to the practice of billing the name of an entertainer on the canopy over the entrance to a theatre]