Our most effective XI (according to science)

Individual stats almost never tell the full story.

In this case, I think Lee's been pulled down dramatically by him being involved in a particularly bad spell when he first came back from injury. He struggled to find form, which was probably while he gained fitness.

I personally think they're a point of interest and can serve to stimulate discussion, but that's about it really.

I certainly don't intend to "prove" anything, as others have suggested.  

Can't disagree with that.

lol

Sorry Fedor, I accidentally negged you when I went to look who'd negged you. Not that I could've guessed. I think I removed it, but can't tell?!?! I is no good on these computermibobs?!

Are you and Ian the same person?

Yes we are a double headed Troll aparrently.

Surely all this is only valid when we have played every team twice through a season, also you have not (as far as i can see) taking into account the form of the opposition. The fact that you have rated each game on your opinion of how we should have done agains them undermines all the good work put into this.

Also you have a points based sytem only based on Goals for and Against, but lets say for example Semedo, He is never going to score loads, and maybe cannot have affected the majority of the goals conceded, thus this stat for him is useless. A fair more realavent stat for Semedo (again this is just and example) is tackles won and lost, interceptions and forward passes that let to chances.

Thats my thought anyway, Other than that i think this is a decent peice of work and definately worth revisiting at the end of the season.

A midfielder, like Semedo, can and should affect the result, including both goals scored and conceded. He might not score or even assist directly, but he might win the ball in the first place. He might not clear the ball off the line or save the penalty, but intercepting a pass that could've ended up with a clear cut chance might be just as significant.

Every player has a part to play, which is the whole point really. They're all responsible for our results, whether negative or positive.

Is the spreadsheet is based on league positions now and not at the of playing, or form of the teams at the time?

Pretty much. Although I have tried to take some of that into account wherever I can remember how the team were doing at the time.

I probably needed to be doing it from the start of the season really.

I love a good spreadsheet George and stats over time don't lie. There are people employed at football clubs whose primary job is to evaluate stats and report those to the coaching staff.

Reyt job! Edited by George Whitebread

When he scores, we win. Fact.

Why do you think this might be? Is it...

(a) he's got magical powers and can cast a spell to stop the opposition from equalising after he's scored.

(b) most of his goals have come against the bottom 3, so we should be beating them anyway.

© pure coincidence

(d) you tell me

Why do you think this might be? Is it...

(a) he's got magical powers and can cast a spell to stop the opposition from equalising after he's scored.

(b) most of his goals have come against the bottom 3, so we should be beating them anyway.

© pure coincidence

(d) you tell me

It's c George. Like when we win a game and Nuhiu happens to be in the team.

George, you've managed to leave out of our "most effective XI", our top league goal scorer. A player who by your own (flawed) system, has started in our 5 best results of the season. Scoring in 3 of them and assisting in the other 2.

Why is this?

It appears to me we'd be a hell of a lot worse off without this man.

Fair enough, but it's balanced up by the fact that he also featured in our heaviest defeats.

I opted for Keane because we have scored over a third more goals per game while Keane has been starting.

That has coincided with McGugan's return though. So perhaps I should've discounted that.

Keane has scored 1 in 3.5 while May has scored 1 in 4 though.

Again, with one of Keane's goals being a penalty that May would probably have scored, maybe I should've discounted that too.

Maybe I didn't look any further into tjat because I think (entirely subjectively) that Keane's looked more effective that May in the games I've seen him.

I take your point anyway. Happy to include him.

I don't think that selecting Keane for the reasons that I've just outlined makes me "pathetic" though. I genuinely wasn't aimimg to have a dig at May at all.

Not necessarily when it comes to individual players.

Football is a very a complex game. That's why statistical analysis should be seen as just that.

All players have an effect. Even if it's just in keeping another player outnof the team.

I'm not trying to prove anything particularly. Just show what it looks like out of interest.

All players have an effect. Even if it's just in keeping another player outnof the team.

I'm not trying to prove anything particularly. Just show what it looks like out of interest.

Fair enough.

The inclusion of a player with 7 starts to his name, only one of which we won, in a 30 plus game season so far, is baffling to say the least. Just seems like another attempt to discredit a player that, as you've proven in the past, you have a real problem with.

Deep down you know as well as me we've looked at our best as a team, with may and Nuhiu up front.