Sacrificing Wednesday for Uni

Next season will probably be my last year as a season ticket holder before heading off to uni for 3 years. Did anyone else do this? Oh well, it's 3 years of my life, I have the rest of my life after that to spend weeing money away watching Wednesday...

Did the same but I'm back now with a season ticket. Luckily most games are available on (il)legal streaming now so you might not miss much ;)

If you're at one of the Sheffield campuses they do a few deals throughout the year for matches as well.

Guest TheWednesdayite

I left for uni this year and still manage to get to most of the games. Depends which uni you're going to of course but can normally get there and back in a day and still make it out on the Saturday night :)

Guest James-The-Owl

I went to Huddersfield Uni for the 11/12 promotion season and gave up my ST as I didn't know how often I'd get. Barely missed a game and went to 15 aways too. Got my ST back for the next two seasons while I was still at uni.

It's now I've got a bleedin' full time job I struggle...!

After I moved away for university, I never had a season ticket again.

But over the next 15 years, I still averaged a decent amount of games though (15-20 a season, home and away).

Then I emigrated, and the average dipped a bit.  Not set foot in Hillsborough since 2008.  That IS sacrificing Wednesday for something.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I'm facing this dilemma for next season. I could be at York or Bristol or elsewhere and won't know until August. I suppose you've just got to wait and se. It's Mstill possible though as others have said.

Maybe look at which universities you want to go to, look at travel costs, look at bursaries and how much you'll receive from the government and of course consider how much seeing Wednesday is worth to you.

If it ends up being a £90 round train journey from your university to sheffield then you'll probably have to live without but it could be much cheaper than that.

My plan is to get a membership and get to Hillsborough when I can.

I'm facing this dilemma for next season. I could be at York or Bristol or elsewhere and won't know until August. I suppose you've just got to wait and se. It's Mstill possible though as others have said.

Maybe look at which universities you want to go to, look at travel costs, look at bursaries and how much you'll receive from the government and of course consider how much seeing Wednesday is worth to you.

If it ends up being a £90 round train journey from your university to sheffield then you'll probably have to live without but it could be much cheaper than that.

I want to go to Teesside to study paramedic practice so I'm going to get a membership so I could go when I'm home for the holidays. Probably get to around 10 games a season if you count north east away days. I'm saving now for a football fund cos I won't receive much from the government cos my household income is £57000, which is stupid cos just cos they have it doesn't mean they'll give it me! So all that money will go on accommodation, food and typical student stuff. I'd go if I went to a sheffield uni but hallam only teach a diploma for my course and I want to do the degree to set meself up better for the future

Guest Frickley Owl

Put your education and career first and just get to games when you can. If you go to a uni where there's a decent little non league club nearby I'm sure they would welcome the extra few people a week if you round some uni mates up to go along.

I want to go to Teesside to study paramedic practice so I'm going to get a membership so I could go when I'm home for the holidays. Probably get to around 10 games a season if you count north east away days. I'm saving now for a football fund cos I won't receive much from the government cos my household income is £57000, which is stupid cos just cos they have it doesn't mean they'll give it me! So all that money will go on accommodation, food and typical student stuff. I'd go if I went to a sheffield uni but hallam only teach a diploma for my course and I want to do the degree to set meself up better for the future

I live just outside middlesbrough and it's still pretty easy to get to games. I mostly drive to matches so a bit pricey on the petrol. If I fancy a few beers I jump on the megabus to home games. Can get a return for £8 if you book at right time.

You've also got the train option but it's a rip off. Looking at £40 return.

as you get older life becomes more of a priortity than football for most people.

Enjoy uni, try and come back when there is a match but dont commit.

I had a season ticket 96-00 whilst at uni in Manchester and Nottingham and it became a bit of a bind tbh having to come back every weekend. Least we were decent for some of that time. Who knows might be playing other NE teams in a few years time

Life is way more important than football

Don't even factor it into the equation

I made that mistake - although i don't regret it i definitely wouldn't advise prioritising football over anything like education, work or life experience

Go to the best uni you can - get to games when you can - and see where life takes you

In two years time we'll be in the Premiership anyway, so you'll probably be able to see many of our games on the telly then - and furthermore, because we're going to be in the Prem you'll need to all the money you can lay your hands on just to buy a matchday ticket in the future so getting the best education you can in order to improve your career opportunities and perhaps, therefore, wage, would also make a lot of sense.

I live just outside middlesbrough and it's still pretty easy to get to games. I mostly drive to matches so a bit pricey on the petrol. If I fancy a few beers I jump on the megabus to home games. Can get a return for £8 if you book at right time.

You've also got the train option but it's a rip off. Looking at £40 return.

Changed me mind again want to go to St George's in London now! So I'll get to plenty of games with all the teams in and around London. Be a pain if we go up though trying to get tickets to Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs away, but I'll try and find a way

In two years time we'll be in the Premiership anyway, so you'll probably be able to see many of our games on the telly then - and furthermore, because we're going to be in the Prem you'll need to all the money you can lay your hands on just to buy a matchday ticket in the future so getting the best education you can in order to improve your career opportunities and perhaps, therefore, wage, would also make a lot of sense.

Don't jinx it pal!