Which Person At The Club Decides?

From my experience, it's a combination of input from the club and the kit manufacturer. Ultimately though, the club can call the shots on what colour they want!

When we had a small marketing team at Wednesday we were pretty heavily involved in the process. The 10-11 away shirt [black & Yellow] was the closest we've come to a 'bespoke kit' for a long time as we fed back suggestions and changes from the base template that Genesis provided.

There was input from a number of people - commercial and retail but also from the 'football side' of the club. Heavily white kits were always frowned upon by the kit man and sometimes personal preference of an important person would come into play. I remember us having a nice green and white hooped design [like the 88-90 number] but Alan Irvine absolutely wouldn't agree as he's a big Rangers fan!

Guest Steve French

I'm saying they had a perceived choice, not a real one, and certainly not one that affected something as fundamental as the colourway.

But Warrior listened to them and adapted part of the design.

Collaboration.

Ok mate. You obvs are bestest and know it all. Bored of you now.

From my experience, it's a combination of input from the club and the kit manufacturer. Ultimately though, the club can call the shots on what colour they want!

When we had a small marketing team at Wednesday we were pretty heavily involved in the process. The 10-11 away shirt [black & Yellow] was the closest we've come to a 'bespoke kit' for a long time as we fed back suggestions and changes from the base template that Genesis provided.

There was input from a number of people - commercial and retail but also from the 'football side' of the club. Heavily white kits were always frowned upon by the kit man and sometimes personal preference of an important person would come into play. I remember us having a nice green and white hooped design [like the 88-90 number] but Alan Irvine absolutely wouldn't agree as he's a big Rangers fan!

Thanks mate. Just like I said all along.

See that McWrongside?

When Liverpool signed that deal wi Warrior there was a fuss when a committee chose a design for the 96 that some of the families said wa disrespectful. There ya go. A 'flagship' club picked a committee to chose the design of the kit. Nar who was on that committee I dunno.

"A spokesman said: "The club consulted with the HFSG committee and shared a number of alternative designs which were considered.

"The committee selected a design, which includes the number 96 to recognise those who lost their lives. Nobody has more respect for the 96 and their families than this football club."

HFSG Committee isn't a shirt choosing committee, it's the lead of the Hilslborough Families Support Group.

We don't have anyone or anything like that to consider, thankfully.

Who at Liverpool/Warrior chose which alternative designs went to the Hillsborough families?...

So the manufacturer don't just choose a design an tell the club that's wat they're having then? So it happens exactly like I said it did with a board meeting of owners/directors or committee. Like at FCUM?

Tha flip flops more than a bloody Tory.

Well, no. As mentioned it's about collaboration I've talked about collaboration

Interesting answer, thanks.

Would it be right to say that a lot of this is also dependent upon to contract between club and manufacturer?

After all, money talks..

Sondico will have little or no input, we are the customer. When Don Revie was the manager at Leeds he decided they should play in all white. The club, through a Director would give a brief to Sondico on colours, stripes or not, including the colour of the shorts. Sondico would be responsible for the design. The mad man at Cardiff made the decision to change the kit colour, not the supplier.

Guest Steve French

HFSG Committee isn't a shirt choosing committee, it's the lead of the Hilslborough Families Support Group.

We don't have anyone or anything like that to consider, thankfully.

Who at Liverpool/Warrior chose which alternative designs went to the Hillsborough families?...

Yeah I pasted it badly, a committee (I'm guessing board members or directors) at Liverpool chose the designs. Should have made that clearer.

See that McWrongside?

Now now Mr Wylde, no need to be like that.

The club might specify the colour for the shirt...but how about if the manufacturer strongly recommends black shorts instead of blue?

As Chris C kindly pointed out above, its a collaboration.

Edited by McRightSide

Guest Steve French

FFS lets re-visit Mrflippyflops posts shall we?

Rodger:

But who, and there must be someone, an actual person (!), who says what colour shorts (and socks), we will have.

Who decides and how is it decided?

You:

For the design: Sondico

Rodger:

So Sondico decide whether we have blue or black shorts?

You:

Yep - they decide how they want their product to be presented.

At which point I pointed out about committees and boards and directors choosing designs and he started to flip flop. Am I right? Those pedals are furiously goin backkads.

Well, no. As mentioned it's about collaboration I've talked about collaboration

Interesting answer, thanks.

Would it be right to say that a lot of this is also dependent upon to contract between club and manufacturer?

After all, money talks..

I doubt that any contract would ever stipulate that the club had to choose certain colours. We often had new designs mocked up in different options [blue/black shorts, different socks etc] and ultimately we could always make the call as which way we wanted to go.

It makes no odds to the manufacturer really - if there is any price difference in producing different designs/colours then they'll pass this on to the club so they won't be out of pocket.

Contract agreements will cover things like cost per unit/minimum order quantities/upfront payments and so on but I think a manufacturer would be pretty foolish to try and dictate what colour a club had to go for.

Now now Mr Wylde, no need to be like that.

The club might specify the colour for the shirt...but how about if the manufacturer strongly recommends black shorts instead of blue?

If I were a representative of the club I wouldn't take any notice of a kit supplier on colour or design. The club has been in existence 147 years so taking any advice from a tinpot kit supplier after a two minute working relationship just wouldn't happen.

Guest Steve French

I doubt that any contract would ever stipulate that the club had to choose certain colours. We often had new designs mocked up in different options [blue/black shorts, different socks etc] and ultimately we could always make the call as which way we wanted to go.

It makes no odds to the manufacturer really - if there is any price difference in producing different designs/colours then they'll pass this on to the club so they won't be out of pocket.

Contract agreements will cover things like cost per unit/minimum order quantities/upfront payments and so on but I think a manufacturer would be pretty foolish to try and dictate what colour a club had to go for.

An the club must provide assurances ova projected unit sales in that contract and so on too.another good post there mate.

Guest Steve French

If I were a representative of the club I wouldn't take any notice of a kit supplier on colour or design. The club has been in existence 147 years so taking any advice from a tinpot kit supplier after a two minute working relationship just wouldn't happen.

Exactly. Spot on mate.

Ok fair enough. So Wednesday had the final call on short colour - can't argue with that.

Short answer: They both collaborate, both have interests in trying to sell as many shirts as possible and protecting their brands so SWFC will want blue and white stripes whilst Sondico want something presentable. SWFC will have the final say most likely though (like when Cardiff changed to the colour red).

They won't be changing the shorts to pink or whatever as that may jeopardise both SWFC and Sondico's brand image. Black and blue both work (regardless of what fans say) so we could be in either.

Perhaps if you're dealing with Sondico, and I think we established that's how it works at Wednesday

But if youre working at Chelsea and talking about a bespoke adidas design, then it's a very different conversation.

Edited by McRightSide

Guest Steve French

You're bein serious arnt you? I 100% kno for a fact that major shareholders at FCUM decided on options for kit based on what their chosen manufacturer put to em. Why would they be different to any other club? Club signs a deal wi a manufacturer, gives am a brief, manufacturer choses from designs portfolio or bespoke design (based on contract) an puts concepts to club, club picks best option.

So I wa 100% spot on in first place then? Thanks.