@Owlsonline linking Niall Canavan on twitter

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

Unable to understand the meaning of a counterexample wow! just wow  lol

Lallana was a stand out player for the future even at 23 and was being touted as a future england player in the making so yeah making the comparision with that great stand out player from scunthorpe does deserve a wow

Just think at 23 if he had the potential to play alot higher someone would of snapped him up by now, im happy were are being linked to players of that age but for me quality beats quantity and at best he would only be a back up

CageFightingOwl puts it well: this lad is probably one for back-up.

We currently have one central defender, and not many here rate him. So we need two "regular starters" and two "back-up". I reckon, if we get Canavan, he will be back-up and I think it would be a good signing on that basis. This writing him off as too old, not proven, rubbish when I saw him, etc is way OTT.  

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

CageFightingOwl puts it well: this lad is probably one for back-up.

We currently have one central defender, and not many here rate him. So we need two "regular starters" and two "back-up". I reckon, if we get Canavan, he will be back-up and I think it would be a good signing on that basis. This writing him off as too old, not proven, rubbish when I saw him, etc is way OTT.  

Nobody is going ott or slating the kid but do we have to think every player who plays or who is linked to wednesday is the bees knees? we have too many blinkered fans who are ott about how good we actually are. i agree he will only be a back up and its a gamble with very little cost so ive no problem with that

I think the comparison was based on their age, 23, not on their footballing abilities. Fair comparison if you ask me.

Could of brought up the fact ian wright didnt hit the big time until around 25 or 26 then

Nobody is going ott or slating the kid but do we have to think every player who plays or who is linked to wednesday is the bees knees? we have too many blinkered fans who are ott about how good we actually are. i agree he will only be a back up and its a gamble with very little cost so ive no problem with that

Could of brought up the fact ian wright didnt hit the big time until around 25 or 26 then

Which posters are you referring to? Name them.

Can't be arsed to find the posts, but just spent last few minutes reading the entire thread and the impression I got was of one or two posters being heavily critical. Don't recall any thinking he will be the bees knees - just that he's probably not rubbish.

If you are aware of Ian Wright coming good late, why do you think it impossible that we could actually find a lost talent? (Not that I'm saying he is, just might be. But certainly worth a try).

Edited by Tamworthowl

Just think at 23 if he had the potential to play alot higher someone would of snapped him up by now, im happy were are being linked to players of that age but for me quality beats quantity and at best he would only be a back up

Some players develop later than others.

Ian Wright was in his mid twenties before he made a living from football

Edit.

Just read rest of thread

lol

Edited by markowl

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

Which posters are you referring to? Name them.

Nobody inparticular but seen loads of threads and quotes bigging up the like of corry, and mccabe. why cant we accept we dont have a strong group of players? it doesnt make you a lesser fan if you are truthfull

Some players develop later than others.

Ian Wright was in his mid twenties before he made a living from football

Edit.

Just read rest of thread

lol

ha yeah wrighty was prob the greatest example

Guest _Ibbo_

Nobody inparticular but seen loads of threads and quotes bigging up the like of corry, and mccabe. why cant we accept we dont have a strong group of players? it doesnt make you a lesser fan if you are truthfull

ha yeah wrighty was prob the greatest example

I can't take you seriously as a poster after claiming we played Barkley on the right wing. 

This NEVER HAPPENED. 

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

I can't take you seriously as a poster after claiming we played Barkley on the right wing. 

This NEVER HAPPENED. 

We played barkley out of position 100%, my best friend is a toffee and he still rips me about it

we played him out of position cos my everton fan mate was going mad at us, obviously hes a class act and you could see that but dont think we saw the best of him like everton have got this season

Hsve to disagree. In fact I'm pretty sure we changed our formation to accommodate him. Sadly we didn't get the absolute best out of him cos our players weren't on the same wavelength. But he still showed some class.

Wasn't it Slothroyd that we played out of position on the wing

We played barkley out of position 100%, my best friend is a toffee and he still rips me about it

So you take the opinion of your best friend over people who actually saw him play, of which I presume you were one of them?

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

Hsve to disagree. In fact I'm pretty sure we changed our formation to accommodate him. Sadly we didn't get the absolute best out of him cos our players weren't on the same wavelength. But he still showed some class.

Wasn't it Slothroyd that we played out of position on the wing

You could see the quality without a doubt but we never played him in his preferred position and your right we didnt see the same barkley as everton have seen this season

Guest JonTheOwl66

So they were sniffing at a player in a league two divisions below their own, just as we are with this Canavan.

Is Canavan an outstanding League 2 talent?

You could see the quality without a doubt but we never played him in his preferred position and your right we didnt see the same barkley as everton have seen this season

So where di d we play Barkley? And what is his preferred position?

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

So you take the opinion of your best friend over people who actually saw him play, of which I presume you were one of them?

Seeing as ive missed 3 games in 3 years yeah i was there fella, also im pretty sure my mate whos been a season ticket holder for everton for 18 yrs knows barkleys preferred position to some on here. you could see the class but it was the wrong time and wrong place for him at hillsborough

Guest IN MILAN WE RUST

So where di d we play Barkley? And what is his preferred position?

Alot see him as an attacking midfielder so high up supporting the striker but i remember him on the right side of midfield and that didnt play to his strengths