Leroy and the Wednesdayites

Leroy is a striker that will keep you in the championship, but not a striker that is going to get you promoted. It depends what your aiming for. Personally, although he has done his best in a system that really does not suit him, i would be disappointed if he is the striker we go for because as i said, i don't think he suits our style and he isn't going to get us promoted. Depends if you want to finish in the bottom half, or want to try for the playoffs. 

I will say more when I have time. But the author of this article is my 15 year old son who loves the Wednesday and he's just started writing stuff. He's written a fantastic article about the Boxing Day Massacre but he won't be sharing it on Owlstalk. Some of you should have a good look at yourselves. Many of you come out with WAWAW but it means nothing to you. If you don't like what you read, live with it and shut the **** up. And before you say this tvat's a first time poster I've been watching the Wednesday since 1968. So you can come back at me, not him, if you've got a problem.

Why does anyone think they have a right to call my 15 year old son a boring stinky flaps for writing an article about Lita? There are times - too many to mention - when I have wondered why I support the Wednesday and this is right up there with them. My son is trying to do something creative and constructive. Why do some of you have to be so obnoxious? If you don't like it just leave it.

Proper flounce!

I preferred these posts to the opening post!

lol

Leroy and the Wednesdayites

I have to admit, when Leroy Lita joined Sheffield Wednesday on loan for the rest of the season when it was nearing the end of the January transfer window, I was a bit skeptical. I'd never really rated Lita very highly (partly due to a failed Football Manager save with Swansea City back in 2012, where I was forced to make Jonathan Walters my marquee signing just not to get the sack), but partly because he only scored 2 goals throughout the entire 2011-12 season. Wednesday were a team fighting relegation battles all season, so we needed a goalscorer, especially after the failure of Jay Bothroyd who joined on loan in August.

Coincidentally, Lita joined us on loan around a month after we picked up that remarkable run of form from the shock 1-0 win at Bolton on Boxing Day, in which Mamady Sidibe, Stoke's forgotten man, scored his first goal for over three years, to the 2-0 win at home to Middlesborough on the final day of the season which sealed survival in the Championship. Statistically speaking, if the first half of the season was erased from the history books, then Wednesday, despite finishing 18th overall, would be sitting pretty in the play-off places, only behind league champions Cardiff on goal difference. This shows the difference in quality between the signings made in the summer, and the loan signings made throughout the season.

I suppose the inability to buy a goalscoring striker proven at Championship level led to the series of loan signings throughout the season made by the Wednesday hierarchy, which started off with former Sevilla and current Barcelona striker Rodri, who joined on loan way back in August. He is well regarded as a flop by the Wednesday faithful, who saw just one goal in 11 appearances from the Spaniard, before he was shipped off back to the Catalan club after 5 months in Yorkshire. On deadline day in August, Wednesday signed a striker who many expected to be a very good capture for the Owls, QPR's Jay Bothroyd, a former England international. Much like Rodri, Bothroyd was also a flop, netting just one goal (in a 1-1 draw with Leeds) in fourteen appearances for the club, before rejoining QPR at the end of his loan spell in January.

This is where the emergency loan signings started to come in. First up was Stoke City's Malian striker Mamady Sidibe, who joined the Owls for a couple of months from November 2012 to January 2013. Sidibe's only goal for the club came in the afore-mentioned win at Bolton Wanderers, although after nine appearances, Sidibe returned to Stoke-on-Trent, without too much of a fanfare from the Wednesdayites. In February 2013 (after Lita had been captured from Swansea), Wednesday announced the signing of Sunderland and England under-21 striker Connor Wickham on a one-month loan. Much like the other loan signings, Wickham only scored one goal (in a surprising 1-0 win away at play-off hopefuls Leicester City in March) in six appearances before rejoining his parent club up in the north-east.

So what makes Lita stand out from all these flops? I believe it's his goals, which is the boring, obvious answer. I didn't think he'd get many when he came in from south Wales, but boy was I wrong. His first game for the Owls came away to Charlton Athletic at Valley Parade in one of the day's late kick-offs. I'd been to watch Manchester City's win away at the Britannia the same day, so was already in a good mood after that, and then this game just completed the game. I knew we were 1-0 down to Charlton whilst we were driving back from Stoke, and we were still trailing going past the 80 minute mark. Suddenly, two quick-fire goals from Reda Johnson and Lita (on as a substitute) gave us a hard-fought 2-1 win, and my opinion on Lita was beginning to change.

His next game for the Owls was at home to Brighton, who had beaten us 3-0 at the Amex back in September. It was my first Wednesday game for a while, and I was understandably nervous, as Brighton were flying high in the table. Thankfully, a goal after just five minutes from Lita settled the nerves, and then further goals from loanee Danny Pugh and Michail Antonio sealed a 3-1 win for the Owls. After the game, I even managed to meet Leroy himself, as well as Wayne Bridge, who was on loan to Brighton at the time.

After a couple of games without scoring, Lita was starting to look less of a good signing, especially as we had won neither of these games. Next up was a tough home encounter with play-off chasing Crystal Palace, who had relegated us on this ground three years earlier. The only pre-match consolation was that star winger Wilfried Zaha was to miss the game injured, and it showed, as Palace showed little threat going forward. Wednesday capitalized on this with ten minutes of the match remaining, as a fantastic cross from Michail Antonio found the head of Lita, who bulleted a header past the Palace keeper to give Wednesday the shock win.

Next was to come a dry spell for Lita, in which he failed to score for the next six league games for Wednesday. This coincided with a loss of form at a vital time for the Owls, with just two wins out of those six games. Next up was a home game against struggling Blackburn Rovers, and it was a must-win fixture for both teams. Blackburn took the lead early on, before Jermaine Johnson equalised soon after. Ten minutes before half-time, the game took a real twist when Wednesday won a penalty, which Lita bravely stepped up to take, and stroke past Sandomierski in the Blackburn goal. Despite a Blackburn equaliser in the second half, a second goal for Johnson would seal a 3-2 win for Wednesday.

After this Blackburn game, there came five fixtures for the blue half of Sheffield which would decide their fate. Lita failed to score in the first two of these, but finally made the breakthrough in the third out of five, against Ipswich at Hillsborough. The Tractormen took the lead early on thanks to a goal from Jay Tabb, and this led to one of Wednesday's worst performances of the season. We couldn't get out of our half our string many decent passes together, and we were lucky to be only one down at the break. In the second half, we came out and started to play better, and somehow managed to find a goal with just under half an hour left, once again, from that man Leroy Lita. Somehow we were drawing, and had a chance to go on and win! However, the linesman took away this chance, when he disallowed Lita's second goal of the match for offside, which did appear to be onside. However, we somehow managed to hold on for the point.

Then came the decider. The game that would decide our fate, the league we'd play in for the 2013-14 season, against Middlesborough at home. We could have sealed survival the previous weekend away at relegation rivals Peterborough, but conspired to lose 1-0 and take it to the final day. When you're involved in final day drama like this, you're always tense, you're always nervous, and this conveys to the players. I was hoping for an early goal, to settle the nerves, and thankfully we got this thanks to veteran striker Steve Howard. The ground erupted with noise. Cue pandemonium. Then the focus changed to not throwing this away. Lita, however, had other ideas. When right-back Lewis Buxton whipped in a corner from the far side towards the front post, there was Lita to glance home a header in front of the Kop end, and send the Wednesday fans into sheer ecstasy once again. "We are staying up!" was the cheer reverberating around the ground, and Lita had helped make it happen. Wednesday were comfortable 2-0 in the lead at the break, although didn't score again in the second half, and finished as 2-0 victors to ensure survival and a second season of football in England's second tier.

I'll happily hold my hands up high and say that I didn't believe Lita was the right signing when he came in. I wasn't impressed by his goal tally at Swansea, and thought that he wouldn't be able to help us in our quest for survival. I can't believe how wrong I was! Without Lita's goals, we wouldn't have survived, and I would happily see him back in the blue and white of Wednesday. Wherever he ends up, I wish him the best of luck. Long Live Leroy.

As if anyone is going to read all that lol

The flounce saved the thread.  Well done OP's dad. A good flounce, strop and a rant is always appreciated on Owlstalk.

To get a perfect 10/10 on the flouncemeter you have to say you are never coming on here again, and then post again 10 mins later.

:ghoulguy:

Why does anyone think they have a right to call my 15 year old son a boring stinky flaps for writing an article about Lita? There are times - too many to mention - when I have wondered why I support the Wednesday and this is right up there with them. My son is trying to do something creative and constructive. Why do some of you have to be so obnoxious? If you don't like it just leave it.

Never mind s80 there is a few tools on here ready to knock posters like your son down,tell him to take no notice of them mate.

Edited by Firthparkowl

As if any father who is a Wednesday fan, is going to re-consider his love and loyalty to his football team, followed allegedly since 1968, because another load of 15 year olds (some mental, some actual) offered, mainly, constructive criticism on an over long and factually inaccurate post, that his own 15 year old has posted! 

I'm so glad my daddy doesn't post on here!

The over long sentence was my very own post in the style of ...

If your son can handle the nonesense on OT with his posts then he will be going places.

Rob Staton once said he can deal with anything now in journalism that is thrown at him because of his time spent on Owlstalk.

Paul Walker once said he had loads of bad stuff wtitten about him on OT but it was all part and parcel and the funny stuff made it all worth while.

Seth bennet once said Nom nom nom nom nom...He was eating at the time.