Old pic of the kop

Guest ben29

the kop was made bigger when the roof was errected and had the largest capacity overtaking pigpools kop

Yep I'm aware of that I think it took the capacity up to 22.5k from 18k. Not sure what the Holte End was though? Dortmund is the largest in Europe now and its still standing 25,000.

It only held around 18k before the roof was put on. The Holte end was far bigger and has always been fully covered.

It was cause it had no roof which made it look big in reality it only held around 18k and all the noise went up in the air and out of the ground. Singing in unison on the Kop in those days was a bit of a joke as there No amplification and everything was just a distorted mess. In reality it was crying out for a roof.

Holte end wasn't single tier though, double tier, Wednesday's kop was all one tier.

Holte end wasn't single tier though, double tier, Wednesday's kop was all one tier.

It is now but I don't think it was when it was standing Mark. I remember being stood on there with about 10,000 Wednesday when we played and beat Palace in a Cup replay. I thought at the time what a fantastic home end this is if we only had it at Hillsboro.

It is now but I don't think it was when it was standing Mark. I remember being stood on there with about 10,000 Wednesday when we played and beat Palace in a Cup replay. I thought at the time what a fantastic home end this is if we only had it at Hillsboro.

I'm sure it's always been like that mate, could be wrong but I'm sure Villas kops always been double tierd.

Guest everydays_wednesday

anybody there in 1980 ish when millwall fans came on the cop lead by a big black guy with a huge afro?

there were only about 50 of them surrounded by coppers all the game !!

scary !!

thanks cactus and soulpower,mr joicey,and Dunsby, wasn't sure  but remember'd the queen coming year after i was born in 52 so 53 sounds about right

My Mum & Dad were both at school in 1954 and were in the ground that day.  All the boys were given a penknife which turned out to be  shoddy bit of workmanship and fell to bits - I think it was a bit of a scandal at the time ;-(

I'm sure it's always been like that mate, could be wrong but I'm sure Villas kops always been double tierd.

sure it was single tiered when we stood on it for the FA Cup semi (seperated down the middle by netting - everton fans on the other side of the net!)   

Thats now Mark. When it was standing only it was about the same size but just one tier any body find a photo?

I can remember going years ago in the 80s and was on the other end below all of their fans and it looked big then but I was sure it was kind of double then, the old stand to the left was like a lego stand so small compared to the rest of the stadium, it's been replaced now though, can you remember it?