Why are Huddersfield doing well?

Guest Wilf Marshall

Guest Triplej2

Call it sour grapes or wotever but I honestly didn't rate them at Hillsborough, the result flattered them. Long ball merchants, the only time I saw them pass it was when Norwood and Clayton made about 5/6 passes between them in the second half, without a Wednesday player closing them down. Then again how many teams have been allowed to do that this season.

They were a lot tidier than us all over the pitch. I thought they looked a decent side.

Guest tha_knows

They were a lot tidier than us all over the pitch. I thought they looked a decent side.

I don't agree mate, but thats my opinion, no right or wrong.

Call it sour grapes or wotever but I honestly didn't rate them at Hillsborough, the result flattered them. Long ball merchants, the only time I saw them pass it was when Norwood and Clayton made about 5/6 passes between them in the second half, without a Wednesday player closing them down. Then again how many teams have been allowed to do that this season.

For the firt 20 minutes they tore us apart playing quality football. They played their left winger in on numerous occasions exposing Mattock at right back.He then put quality balls into the box. They then did what they had to do , kept posession and had us chasing shadows.

I said at the time, as much as we laughed at the piggies that day in may, it would have been better if they had come up and not Hudds as their chairman was going to splash the cash, yes they got £8.5m for Rhodes but the investment had already started, it shows how much is needed to get us up to the top of this league.

Good luck to em, I honestly can see them reaching the premier league in the next 2 seasons, but when the money runs out, and it will eventually, their chairman is not a billionaire and Huddersfield is not going to attact the players they will need to keep them up, what will happen then?

Consistent, quality delivery into the box, always been a feature for Huddersfield in the last couple of seasons.

Strikers who like to attack said ball into box.

A little bit of pace but more importantly, players in key areas whose first touch sticks instead of bouncing up over their own head COG style, or rolling through their legs Buxton style, this enables them to knock the ball about quickly.

Players who when their team mates have the ball, move into space and ask for the ball to be played there, instead of standing, watching and then reacting.

A big fat wallet making all of the above possible.

Edited by Lee A

Guest tha_knows

For the firt 20 minutes they tore us apart playing quality football. They played their left winger in on numerous occasions exposing Mattock at right back.He then put quality balls into the box. They then did what they had to do , kept posession and had us chasing shadows.

Hmm but they didn't tho did they?

Now then lads, Town fan here,

Just thought I should dispel this myth that Dean Hoyle (our chairman) has splashed the cash from the Rhodes sale

Jordan was sold on the last day of the transfer window, and it was a proper shock to everyone at the club. No one seriously believed that Blackburn would put up £8m for an unproven striker (as could be observed from the outside).

As a consequence we tried our best to get Beckford in on a season long loan on the last day, but Leicester pulled out at the last minute - fortunately we managed to get him on a 3month loan at a later date, so we will have to evaluate this in January. This means that we have the vast majority of the money made from the Rhodes sale to spend in January.

The interesting thing about the Beckford loan though is that he is taking (at least) a 20% wage cut to come and play for us.

This is a bit of a feature for Town, yes wages have goes up as we've stepped up a division (they have to), but we still have a very strict wage structure that Hoyle refuses to break. The target for this season is survival, anything on top of that is a bonus.

The guys above saying that our form has come from signing the right players in the right positions are absolutely spot on. Our centre of midfield was out weakness last year, and so, the first thing that Grayson set out to fix as soon as we'd limped over the line at Wembley. We went and bought Adam Clayton, Oli Norwood and Keeeeeef Southern - 2 young, very gifted players and one old head to tie everything together.

On top of that we've strengthened in almost every position - CB, LB, wings - as well as had "old dependables" (e.g. Novak, Peter Clarke) really step up a level.

The main thing is that pretty much every player that we have signed has talent, but for whatever reason wasn't getting game time at their former clubs. A lot of them are youngsters that have been unlucky with injury/had others in the squad that they couldn't get past and just wanted a chance to prove themselves and have a chance to start every game. This means that we've gotten a hell of a lot of quality into the side at a low cost. James Vaughan is the perfect example - he is absolutely Premier League class on his day.

Edited by Fnd

Guest Sunflower

Maybe not setting your sights so high at start of season too, all I read on here was talk of play offs minimum. Huddersfield have been realistic and so far doing even better than hoped for, everyone's a winner!

Fans weren't given any false promises or daft hopes of tearing the league apart. Doing things quietly and effectively so far and no knee jerk reactions to the defeats like the hammering we got at Millwall.

The difference is we bought up and coming players they bought players for NOW. Who's to say if we stop up next year are young lads won't have adjusted to the championship on the top of that bringing in more quality. In preseason. Wouldn't we rather cement our status as a championship club then have a good ride for a year then end up doing crap like donny did

The difference is we bought up and coming players they bought players for NOW. Who's to say if we stop up next year are young lads won't have adjusted to the championship on the top of that bringing in more quality. In preseason. Wouldn't we rather cement our status as a championship club then have a good ride for a year then end up doing crap like donny did

The average age of players that Town bought this summer (Kieth Southern aside) is something like 22/23.

Edited by Fnd

The average age of players that Town bought this summer (Kieth Southern aside) is something like 22/23.

Southern was the most important signing you made in my opinion,

The young lads Huddersfield signed are top quality, whereas for one reason or another, ours are barely getting a game, we spent a lot of time signing lads with the intention of playing them only in the reserves, which is all well and good, but we forgot to sign any quality for the first team, Anthony Gardener and a very raw Michail Antonio aside.

Quality beats quantity every time, but unfortunately, we've gone for the latter, and it hasnt even come close to paying off.

Edited by Lee A

I'd argue that Jame Vaughan was the most important singing we'd made, up until about 3 weeks ago.

He's been instrumental in every single point that we'd won up 'til then, but unfortunately his habit of picking up injuries has haunted him again.

Fortunately Southern has really stepped up his game and become the midfield general that we need, bossing the centre of the park and helping us take 7 from a possible 9

Quite simply kept majority of a well organised defence and signed quality attacking players like Adam hammil,beckford, Vaughn and Chris wood all from the £8 million they recieved from the Rhodes fee.

Dimples

WRONG.... NEW centre back partnership in Gerrard and Lynch and a new left back in Dixon, all signed July/August this year. :picnic: