Caught between two stools

Good post, can see where you are coming from

But you have said yourself, Jones has brought in players who aren't big and powerful, but are good on the ball

You have to play to your strenghts, we do still have some big units in there, but if we are going to play 'more direct', it usually means we are bypassing the midfield, and you will see the youngsters like McCabe and Cory struggling in that. Plus DJ seems to want to get the ball down on the floor, although not as convincing as last year, JUST YET

I think all we need is that one win, get some confidence running through the squad again and you will see what we can do, and I for one am very confident it will come on Saturday against Ipswich

Good post, can see where you are coming from

But you have said yourself, Jones has brought in players who aren't big and powerful, but are good on the ball

You have to play to your strenghts, we do still have some big units in there, but if we are going to play 'more direct', it usually means we are bypassing the midfield, and you will see the youngsters like McCabe and Cory struggling in that. Plus DJ seems to want to get the ball down on the floor, although not as convincing as last year, JUST YET

I think all we need is that one win, get some confidence running through the squad again and you will see what we can do, and I for one am very confident it will come on Saturday against Ipswich

I think Jones is trying to stop us being as direct and going through the midfield more. But with the system he is using we need to learn to get one or more midfielders in turn getting beyond the striker as we currently only have Antonio doing this, if we can do this its so hard to defend against, Brian Robson, Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard have made successful careers doing this.

I think Jones is trying to stop us being as direct and going through the midfield more. But with the system he is using we need to learn to get one or more midfielders in turn getting beyond the striker as we currently only have Antonio doing this, if we can do this its so hard to defend against, Brian Robson, Paul Scholes and Frank Lampard have made successful careers doing this.

It hurts me to say this but for a breif moment I thought we had this in Pecnik, but he has proved to be neither a good striker or competent enough advanced midfielder.

It hurts me to say this but for a breif moment I thought we had this in Pecnik, but he has proved to be neither a good striker or competent enough advanced midfielder.

Pecnik has been dissapointing so far, though i wont write him off yet as a new player in a new country/culture.

Without wanting to put too much pressure on a young player i think that Barkley or Corry are capable of doing this role. Time will tell.

I feel the current problem with the team is that we are caught between two stools at the moment in that we are neither the big, strong side that steam rollered teams last season, neither are we the slick ball playing side that Dave Jones seems to want to "build".

When we went up under Howard Wilkinson we stuck to what we were good at and steamrollered teams rather than worry sbout how they were going to play.

When we went up under Ron Atkinson we stuck to what we were good at and passed teams off the park.

To change what you are good at takes time.

Last season we were a very big, strong, very fit (all that running in Greno woods and if i remember rightly the best injury/recovery record in any league) that were well drilled at set pieces and long throwings with any number of big goalscoring threats from such with 6 footers Llera,Reda, Jones, Batth,Beavers,O Grady, Madine, Ranger ect. with a bit of craft from the wings in JJ, Antonio, Treacy and Marshall.

This season Dave Jones has tried to change things a bit and bring in his own type of players who are generally smaller in stature but who should or have been at their previous clubs more comfortable on the ball in Lee, Mattock, Gardner, McCabe, Corry, Barkley, Mayor, Rodri,Bothroyd ect. But a lot of these players havent really hit the ground running and have been taking time to come good or in the case of some havent looked like coming good yet.

It takes time to change the culture of a club as it did when Megson first came in as many of the players didnt exactly take to what he was trying to do straight away and even with a pre season under our belts it still took time to get everyone playing as they should.

Jones is finding the exact same problems in my opinion and he probably will get it right in time, but time is a precious and not an often forthcoming thing in football. Will Milan grant him this time? I dont know, but hopefully if he does we can start and win a few and turn things around and hopefully all this will be ancient history.

My only problem is that i think Dave Jones has tried to change too much too quick and not always held his hands up when he has been wrong ie Taylor and Bothroyd should have been made to earn the shirt and get fit in training rather than just given it. I would also like to see an experienced cosch brought in who has the multi testicles to sometimes say "well no Dave i think your wrong there" as we all make mistakes and need help from time to time.

I hope Dave Jones can "build" this football club, and some of the young players he has bought in to the development squad and first team should make our future a bright one.

But he needs to do it fast because he's running out of time.

PS Milan, if we do make it to the January transfer window in a reasonable shape, please move heavon and earth to find a pacey goalscoring striker.

Gardener smaller stature?

Last season we were a very big, strong, very fit (all that running in Greno woods and if i remember rightly the best injury/recovery record in any league) that were well drilled at set pieces and long throwings with any number of big goalscoring threats from such with 6 footers Llera,Reda, Jones, Batth,Beavers,O Grady, Madine, Ranger ect. with a bit of craft from the wings in JJ, Antonio, Treacy and Marshall.

Was this on FIFA 12?

Edited by Beast of Boulogne

I like the OP, but I think the reason Jones' change in style hasn't hit the ground running is partly because of the problems at the back. If we were solid defensively, it wouldn't have mattered so much that the style of play going forward was still a work in progress. As it is, wobbles at the back are piling the pressure on the forwards.

Others have put this down to his lack of a good assistant in this area. Maybe getting a new defensive coach in could turn around our fortunes.

I like the OP, but I think the reason Jones' change in style hasn't hit the ground running is partly because of the problems at the back. If we were solid defensively, it wouldn't have mattered so much that the style of play going forward was still a work in progress. As it is, wobbles at the back are piling the pressure on the forwards.

Others have put this down to his lack of a good assistant in this area. Maybe getting a new defensive coach in could turn around our fortunes.

We have had problems defensively but to be fair we have really struggled at full back due to injuries resulting in having to play JJ ar right back when he had been playing well on the wing, just another instance of us not having that bit of luck at the moment.