Varied opinions on current team and tactics

We have been in tricky situations before

We have been in worse situations before

But we have never ever had so many different opinions on team selection, formation and tactics

Usually its a case of 'a' happening and a concencus that the fans would like 'b' to happen instead

At the moment theres a huge massive giant volume of totally different opinion

Thats never happened before

Owlstalk Shop

I think realistically Jones can do what he wants and have no complaints from me as we wouldn't be in this league if it wasn't for him.

Besides who'd want this job if you can go 19 unbeaten and the second something goes wrong your out?

There's a bad mentality at this club if they think sacking manager after manager will solve anything. We've got a proven championship manager and fans should buy into what he does He's proven he can do it at this level. 1 bad run doesn't suddenly make him a bad manager.

But we have never ever had so many different opinions on team selection, formation and tactics

Usually its a case of 'a' happening and a concencus that the fans would like 'b' to happen instead

Why do you think that is? Its probably a positive step if fans are becoming more aware of different tactics/stratergies/formations and might be down to the fact that newspapers have finally started printing how teams line up and mentioned formations rather than listing every team as 4-4-2 even when they're not and the likes of Neville and Souness have started to give some more fundamental anaylsis on the TV. I think the more then fans know about the game the better ...

... and personally would advocate a 4-2-3-1 with Barkley in the hole and two out-and-out wingers supporting one of our target men up front. Don't think either JJ or MA are sutied to a 4-4-2 as they receive the ball too far back in this system, in a 4-2-3-1 they'd only have one man to beat before shooting/crossing

Because for the first time in 10-15 years we actually have a squad with options in it. Just up front we have maybe a dozen options wheras before Milan turned up we may have only had one forward not playing. Yesterday we had 4 forwards not starting (JJ, Maguire, Madine, Rodri).

I didn't go yesterday (have a season ticket, but couldn't make it) and generally support Jones but 1 point out of 24 is terrible and he needs a win soon. He did brilliantly last season but had Megson's defence/set pieces to build on. This season he has changed everything and nothing has gelled yet. If we don't win in October he will be out. With people like Bily Davies and McCarthy out of work Milan won't let a whole season go like this.

I think most fans were pretty happy with start of the season, with the majority of last years team starting and added strength in certain areas. Even the defeat at Palarse was not worrying, as we had to lose sometime. A little tightening up at the back a tweak here and there, we could see where we were going. The problem was Jones used the Palarse defeat to make swingeing changes to the starting line up, bring in "His" players culminating in the 10 Changes to the promotion team for the the Bolton game. It all went boobies up from there, and now no one knows what is happening least of all Jones and going back to the early formations is now shot as confidence and moral have evaporated.

I think that is where we are now.

Guest Nejc_Pe�nik

When you're losing you home games like we are, it's saying something about this team and fans have every right to be aggrieved.

Playing 4-5-1 at home is negative, even if it's with two inside forwards.

I don't think we have problems going forward, but defensively we're terrible. Set pieces we're even worse. It's only a matter of time before we get destroyed by someone.

As much as Jones has p!$$ed me off over the last few weeks i've come to a decision that I want him to stay

IMO there are no better candidates out there so lets get on with the job of Championship survival because I'll tell you all now I won't be able to survive yet another relegation to the toilet that is league1

Jones will get it right so stick with him.

Guest theowls 93

We play the 433 or 4231 with Barkley in the hole all wrong. We can't keep this formation if we aren't playing with out and out wingers off a centre forward. JB isn't a right winger, as COG isn't a left winger. If these two are on the same pitch it's got to be 442, if he sticks with what he's doing one of these cant be played

Why do you think that is? Its probably a positive step if fans are becoming more aware of different tactics/stratergies/formations and might be down to the fact that newspapers have finally started printing how teams line up and mentioned formations rather than listing every team as 4-4-2 even when they're not and the likes of Neville and Souness have started to give some more fundamental anaylsis on the TV. I think the more then fans know about the game the better ...

... and personally would advocate a 4-2-3-1 with Barkley in the hole and two out-and-out wingers supporting one of our target men up front. Don't think either JJ or MA are sutied to a 4-4-2 as they receive the ball too far back in this system, in a 4-2-3-1 they'd only have one man to beat before shooting/crossing

Second paragraph is bang on. JJ, Antonio and possibly Barkley as the 3