The case for & against Jones

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Yesterday, was a game where two teams who have, previously, struggled with leaky defences tightened up. It was a very tentative affair with not many real clear cut chances. Granted I thought Hull looked better going forward but there were some positives from yesterday- Bothroyd and Barkley for one.

I think it would be stupid to sack Jones- a man who has shown his competence in this league for several years- at this stage, because despite our run of form I truly believe we are not far off. The fact that we are not getting tonked each week despite our run of form, says a lot!

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Guest Bedders

Yesterday, was a game where two teams who have, previously, struggled with leaky defences tightened up. It was a very tentative affair with not many real clear cut chances. Granted I thought Hull looked better going forward but there were some positives from yesterday- Bothroyd and Barkley for one.

I think it would be stupid to sack Jones- a man who has shown his competence in this league for several years- at this stage, because despite our run of form I truly believe we are not far off. The fact that we are not getting tonked each week despite our run of form, says a lot!

I hear what you are saying BUT the goal we conceded yesterday.....watch it back.........

Lllera is licked with a header.....(granted you can't win everyone not even Gardner @ 6' 7"), but as they run with the ball Gardner & Mattock both get skinned to allow them to shoot on the goal & score.

Two chances to clear the ball not taken.....both by players signed by DJ.

When you are up against it & trying to keep a clean sheet.....sometimes................ what is wrong with row z?????

DJ did reasonable at Cardiff. He had alot of money though. How he didnt get Cardiff promoted with a team that included Bellamy, Burke, Whittingham is abit worrying, he was there 6 years and failed to get them promoted.

His record is decent at Championship level, but thats in the past, his comments yesterday reminded me of Laws post Leicester. We started the season outscoring teams, now weve gone full circle and turned defensive, without much flair, and weve still conceded 5 in the last 3.

Weve had 3 captains already this season, weve got players (Madine, Reda, Bothroyd) releasing statements on twitter. Mattock/JJ fighting, a signing he made (Taylor) being made captain, and after some howlers being dropped.

His insistence on pickin his 'faves'-Bothroyd apparently carrying a knock/not fully fit against Bolton-yet he still stayed on, and then yesterday he had an asthma attack and we were reduced to 10 for a few mins, why not take him off?

Reluctant to change it, and put more men forward yesterday, he fetched COG off (our best recent performer) and bought Madine on.

Its not just the forms-its everything:

The style, the dressing room, the tactics, the substitutions, the unrest, the uninspiring interviews, poor signings.

7 defeats in the last 8, with 1 draw. Could any

other manager survive that-really?

Talk of NA being sacked at Soton who has had

much more success recently (back to back

promotions), at a team where the expectation

levels are less than ours, and who's run is not

as bad as ours, in a league above.

We will need 15 more wins from 36 matches just to be safe this year. You optomistic, we leave it another 4/5 matches and were in same predicament, whatever manager comes in will need 50% win record just to keep our head above water.

Which is unacceptable for a team with our stature.

So people dismissing the idea of DJ being sacked needs to be realistic.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I'm against...GET HIM OUT!!

Meggo got the sack after winning a SHEFFIELD DERBY for pete's sake while thius clown gets us 1 point in 24. Has to go!

People are referrin to his record last season- in league one. Thats great-but we are no longer in League one, we are in the Championship-and hes not cutting the mustard.

Theres no room for sentiment, we got rid of Meggo who had raised us 14 places in the division, on the back of a derby win. We changed thd manager then and we gained promotion, so the shot in the arm worked and we achieved our objective.

We thank Gary and moved on, no I think its time for us to do the same with DJ.

And everyone who sits near me in the north feels the same.

Maybe Gary Madine is right, perhaps only 5% of OT go to matches and watch the clueless football were currently playing.

your right I know nothing about football whatsoever I can never get them bloody men on sticks to spin round quick enough and when they do they knock it in my goal.I do take exception that a personal attack on myself or should I say my self esteem shows you up for being a wee wee tail as every reponse tonight to your posts have been quite obvious in their tongue in cheek nature but if you want to get personal we can

A lesson in delusion as per usual. I think if you look back it was you who started the personal insults with your 'bell end' comment. Now I'm a 'wee wee tail'. Brilliant. Have you thought about writing for a living? I'm sure Quentin Letts would be quaking in his boots with the wit and repartee you have shown on here. And such a hard keyboard you've got there....

Edited by Almat

A lesson in delusion as per usual. I think if you look back it was you who started the personal insults with your 'bell end' comment. Now I'm a 'wee wee tail'. Brilliant. Have you thought about writing for a living? I'm sure Quentin Letts would be quaking in his boots with the wit and repartee you have shown on here. And such a hard keyboard you've got there....

fight fight fight fight :biggrin:

DJ did reasonable at Cardiff. He had alot of money though. How he didnt get Cardiff promoted with a team that included Bellamy, Burke, Whittingham is abit worrying, he was there 6 years and failed to get them promoted.

His record is decent at Championship level, but thats in the past, his comments yesterday reminded me of Laws post Leicester. We started the season outscoring teams, now weve gone full circle and turned defensive, without much flair, and weve still conceded 5 in the last 3.

Weve had 3 captains already this season, weve got players (Madine, Reda, Bothroyd) releasing statements on twitter. Mattock/JJ fighting, a signing he made (Taylor) being made captain, and after some howlers being dropped.

His insistence on pickin his 'faves'-Bothroyd apparently carrying a knock/not fully fit against Bolton-yet he still stayed on, and then yesterday he had an asthma attack and we were reduced to 10 for a few mins, why not take him off?

Reluctant to change it, and put more men forward yesterday, he fetched COG off (our best recent performer) and bought Madine on.

Its not just the forms-its everything:

The style, the dressing room, the tactics, the substitutions, the unrest, the uninspiring interviews, poor signings.

7 defeats in the last 8, with 1 draw. Could any

other manager survive that-really?

Talk of NA being sacked at Soton who has had

much more success recently (back to back

promotions), at a team where the expectation

levels are less than ours, and who's run is not

as bad as ours, in a league above.

We will need 15 more wins from 36 matches just to be safe this year. You optomistic, we leave it another 4/5 matches and were in same predicament, whatever manager comes in will need 50% win record just to keep our head above water.

Which is unacceptable for a team with our stature.

So people dismissing the idea of DJ being sacked needs to be realistic.

this, i am really worried! I would love to keep DJ but i think we will go down if we do, but will bringing in a different manager help??? Im not so sure, maybe we should stick with jones, oh feck i dont know what i think.

So we sack DJ and let's say McCarthy comes in. He fancies none of the DJ players what do we do then? Try and sell them all and probably get relegated in the process

The biggest example of holding your nerve is Fergie at Man Utd and without expecting the success levels he has had It proves that you have to stick by your man.

We will get through this its just gonna take longer than we hoped

I'd have got negged for saying that

Why? Because he played for Barnsley? A disaster is picking up 1 point from a possible 21 with a team/squad you have assembled at not inconsiderable expense. Agreed? Compare his Championship record with DJ's and come back to me suitably chastened.

Why not Mick McCarthy? Well you might tell me the following is irrelevant and doesn't matter at all in the Championship BUT I really think people want a manager they can have faith in, can believe in and who they can feel has a plan and knows football inside out and back to front 10x more than any of us. I just would never feel this with Mick.

Despite a managerial career which has taken in a World Cup and three full seasons in the Premier League, my most abiding memory of him is from his time working as a commentator.

McCarthy was acting as the BBC's expert summariser in a match between Argentina and Nigeria at the 2010 World Cup. As the teams stepped out onto the pitch Mick almost choked on his pre-match cuppa in astonishment that Juan Sebastian Veron was in the Argentina line-up. "I had to check it was the same lad who played for Man United" he exclaimed.

This statement might seem innocuous, but it has stuck with me. In the year before that World Cup Veron had not only picked up his second consecutive South American Footballer of the Year award, but had captained his boyhood club, Estudiantes, to victory in the Copa Libertadores. I might be an obsessive follower of Wednesday and English football in general, but only follow the international game through the odd newspaper report and podcast. But even I was aware of late career Veron's renaissance in Argentina.

It was an astonishing revelation that I knew more about the game than a full time, highly paid Premier League Manager. It was also no suprise when Wolves inevitably went down the season after. Whilst their rivals had proper scouting networks & picked up the likes of Odenwingie and Chris Samba for less than a million Wolves were still a team of holders paying over the odds for British players like Johnson & Doyle.

So whilst Mick "could do a job" in the Champs I could never "feel it" with him and know he shares my football philosophy & ideals. It's a personal thing I admit but I simply do not want the man.

It'd nowt to do with the fact he played for Barnsley.

Guest Nejc_Pe�nik

A point a game = relegation form.

We've one point from eight is it?

bottom of the table form? League one form?