Finger Pointing

One thing thing that Dave Jones seems to be doing more and more on the back of our losing run is publicly singling people out for blame. Certain players in particular. Not sure this is a good thing - by all means dish it out in the dressing room because performances lately have been poor but my view is that it should be left there. Players need their manager to deflect the pressure not add to it.

Thoughts?

Totally agree! Don't like this 'airing of dirty washing' in singling certain players out! If I'm honest that has lead to big increase in me 'getting my gander up' lately!

What's more it creates tension when certain ones are singled out, but not others. It shows favouritism & divides the fans when we being told about 'togetherness' IMPO.

Keep it all in house, deal with it in house & talk about 'team' or 'collective'.

I'm back to my management handbook......BUT lets not blame the individual.....but blame the system or process.....improve it as a collective & try to make sure it doesn't happen again / learn from the lesson.

Edited by Bedders

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

When as he singled people out!

Not doubting what you are saying, but I'm unaware of DJ doing this?

You need to back up what you are saying with quotes at least then we can debate or agree with your point.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Guest Hatchethazza

Dropped Liera because he was costing too many goals

You need to back up what you are saying with quotes at least then we can debate or agree with your point.

Alan Biggs ‏@AlanBiggs1

Pick the bones out of that - Dave Jones certainly did. Said dropped Llera because "costing me too many goals" & threatened more changes.

Well we have conceded 2 goals in every game bar Fulham and the only constants are Beevers and Kirkland...wonder if he will change these?

I'm not sure it's fair just to pick out Llera tho like that.

• rep_up.png
  • rep_down.png

The link was up on here the other day, may have been an interview with Rob Sataton?

He said Llera had been dropped because he had been costing us too many goals.

And that O'Grady wasn't starting because he is not good enough - and is more of an impact player.

It's ok for fans to booooo individual players but Dave Jones can't criticise them in the press and tell them to pull their socks up ?

Thats exactly right.

It's ok for fans to booooo individual players but Dave Jones can't criticise them in the press and tell them to pull their socks up ?

As long as he's consistent about it yes! Single out everyones mistakes or none at all.....not just the ones that suit......that causes DIVISION!!!!

Edited by Bedders

Jones pointed the finger at centre backs Miguel Llera and Mark Beevers over Southampton’s first goal, from a through ball down the middle: “The first goal is a poor one to concede: you can’t have your centre halves being beaten easily by one ball.”

But he also admitted: “At the moment, no defender in the club gets away with it, because they’re all conceding,”

Jones faulted sub Joe Mattock, who took over from the injured Lee, for the penalty from which made Saints made it 2-0, feeling that the full-back should have snuffed out the danger earlier: “The problem is the ball’s gone down the line and Joe has to do better.

“What we have to do is to stick together, stay strong and keep working at it,” he said.

“You don’t just lose it. There’s something as to why they’re not doing it. What they can’t do is blame other people.

Did he criticise Taylor when he hooked it over his shoulder straight for one of their players to run onto to score?

I've seen no quote of poor first touch or singling him out or anything?

In my book Taylor had 3 option if you watch that goal back again v Bolton.........

1. good first touch.....take a step........side foot back to Kirkland

2. good first touch ........take a quick look.....take a step ....... and square to Beevers

3. Stick it into the stand / row Z

Lack of confidence on first touch seemed to create the goal.....

Hooking it over his shoulder was madness which left him out of position & lunging at nothing!

Edited by Bedders

“The first goal is a poor one to concede: you can’t have your centre halves being beaten easily by one ball.”

“At the moment, no defender in the club gets away with it, because they’re all conceding,”

“What we have to do is to stick together, stay strong and keep working at it,” he said.

What's wrong with that ?

Owlstalk Shop

What about singling out Llera a few weeks earlier?

Dave Jones has earned the right to do what he wants in my eyes

I ain't gonna turn on him just because we've lost a few tough games with a brand new squad

I'm happy to let him do what he needs to do and if he wants to criticise his players to the press then that's up to him

Owlstalk Shop