The team that finished the match against Wycombe last season

Guest Stereophonics

Enough of the rose tinted glasses about last season.

We didn't win many games by more than one goal, didn't keep many clean sheets and often needed winners in the last 5-10 minutes to get a result - usually scored by defenders. OK we had a decent run towards the end of the season - against some very poor sides - but this season we're up against well-organised and well-funded clubs.

We were the new boys in the league for the first few games of this season, teams hadn't figured out how to play against us and hadn't worked out our strengths and weaknesses. Well, now they have.

I have no doubt heads have gone down due to recent results, seeing the name of their club in the media for all the wrong reasons, and being booed. It'll come good, it's only September FFS.

We beat Huddersfield away in April. 2-0. They subsequently sold Jordan Rhodes, a striker who scored 40 goals for them last season.

Edited by Almat

Enough of the rose tinted glasses about last season.

We didn't win many games by more than one goal, didn't keep many clean sheets and often needed winners in the last 5-10 minutes to get a result - usually scored by defenders. OK we had a decent run towards the end of the season - against some very poor sides - but this season we're up against well-organised and well-funded clubs.

We were the new boys in the league for the first few games of this season, teams hadn't figured out how to play against us and hadn't worked out our strengths and weaknesses. Well, now they have.

I have no doubt heads have gone down due to recent results, seeing the name of their club in the media for all the wrong reasons, and being booed. It'll come good, it's only September FFS.

I really hope your right

It's amazing the far reaching conclusions people will arrive at based on their own short term prejudices, hysteria and sweeping assumptions.

Just three weeks ago, no one would have given such an idea a nanosecond's thought.

MM is a very surprising individual as I think you discovered in (late) February.

Guest totemowl

Some people seem to be putting their own interpretation on the OP to match their agenda. It's a simple claim and the answer is I agree, they would beat the current team. That's not saying they would if/when we get some confidence back etc but at the moment of course they would beat the current team.

Sownone's putting their own interpretation on the OP to match their agenda?? I can't see that. Would you like to explain how and where?

Mandaric doesn't do relegation, we'll still be here next season. Whether it comes good before or after he loses patience with DJ is another matter.

He was in charge at Leicester wasn't he when they went down? What annoys me so much is that, unlike last promotion, we really are in a position to push on, but, although early days, seem to be set for a long, hard season

Indeed he is. But I made no reference whatsoever as to what he was thinking, only the more reactionary posters on this site.

But you were saying the same thing then as you are now - 3 days later he got the sack, we went on a superb unbeaten run under DJ, we ended up getting promoted and relegating our neighbours to the play offs. That sacking turned out OK (until now which I hope is a blip). With MMs record it's hardly surprising people are discussing the possibility (as opposed to probability) of him wielding the axe. I would imagine he's got much more money tied up in the club now than he had then.

He was in charge at Leicester wasn't he when they went down? What annoys me so much is that, unlike last promotion, we really are in a position to push on, but, although early days, seem to be set for a long, hard season

He was, you're right, after getting through 4 managers in a year and a bit. Hopefully he's learned something from that experience.

To be honest the thought of this squad, even with some additions, somehow squeezing its way via the playoffs into the Prem next season and turning out week-in week-out against the likes of the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal turns my bowels to water.

Guest totemowl

Some people seem to be putting their own interpretation on the OP to match their agenda. It's a simple claim and the answer is I agree, they would beat the current team. That's not saying they would if/when we get some confidence back etc but at the moment of course they would beat the current team.

Stop making wild unsubstantiated allegations against unnamed posters or posts. Allow the debate to develop if people so wish, even if they don't agree with your point of view. Otherwise we might as well just have a site where we can only vote.

Stop making wild unsubstantiated allegations against unnamed posters or posts. Allow the debate to develop if people so wish, even if they don't agree with your point of view. Otherwise we might as well just have a site where we can only vote.

And here's me thinking you agreed with my 'no recriminations' offer the other day. You got shown up, the embarrassment was entirely of your making, get over it.

But you were saying the same thing then as you are now - 3 days later he got the sack, we went on a superb unbeaten run under DJ, we ended up getting promoted and relegating our neighbours to the play offs. That sacking turned out OK (until now which I hope is a blip). With MMs record it's hardly surprising people are discussing the possibility (as opposed to probability) of him wielding the axe. I would imagine he's got much more money tied up in the club now than he had then.

:huh:

Where are you going with this? I merely replied that people's judgements of our team were influenced by all kinds of short-term, reactionary assumptions and somehow you've taken that to be some sort of comment about how likely the chairman is to sack the manager.

:huh:

Where are you going with this? I merely replied that people's judgements of our team were influenced by all kinds of short-term, reactionary assumptions and somehow you've taken that to be some sort of comment about how likely the chairman is to sack the manager.

In that respect you must also have the same view on MM and his sacking of Megson. My point was that the sacking you didn't want turned out brilliantly (last season).

Edited by Almat

Guest totemowl

And here's me thinking you agreed with my 'no recriminations' offer the other day. You got shown up, the embarrassment was entirely of your making, get over it.

Separate point. All you did is prove me wrong on a post I made about Megson several months ago. I wasn't shown up. This followed similar bad oosting habits from yourself.

This is different. You are making unsubstantiated allegations against another post or poster, but when challenged you refuse to elaborate, as though you got it wrong.

C'mon enlighten us, who was the target of your 'setting their own agenda' remark and why?

In that respect you must also have the same view on MM and his sacking of Megson. My point was that the sacking you didn't want turned out brilliantly (last season).

Anyone with any sense knows that the decision regarding Megson was largely influenced by his personal relationship with the chairman and is thus rather different from this (as far as I know anyway).

But for every new manager that works out great, there's probably several that don't. Our own recent history should demonstrate that clearly enough. Was Jewell a success after Wilson, did Turner improve on Yorath, did Irvine rescue us from Laws? So what's your point?