new id

Ex-Penang Owl here - now living in Bahrain which hopefully means I can get back for a couple of games sometime this season. I've got my lad coming over in a few weeks to add to the numbers here. Shirts have been ordered and on the way (hopefully).

UTO

Wondered where you have been, left the rain and the Jelly fish behind then !

Wednesdayites really do get everywhere dont they.

How's it going living in Bahrain, Civil unrest died down a bit I hope?

Yes, it's ok. A lot of media spin really. There's a few riots each night and where I live we have only had 3 tear gas attacks late night but nothing serious. My eyes used to water walking home from the pub in Darnall anyway - so brought back memories.

Many years ago, BC in fact (Before Computers), I had a pen friend from Penang. His English was brilliant, and he always signed off with "from Penang, Pearl of the East and Flower of the Orient".

Is it still the same?

originally name the Prince of Wales Island and renamed Penang, it has always been known as Pearl of the Orient. As for the flowers, the kind of flowers you get there - some of them will put you in a wee wee stinking jail for a very long time

...and how far off Prince of Wales Road do you live?

Good call.born at The top of Prince of Wales road. Near Fairleigh. Prince Edward school. Sorry to say I sold my soul and moved East of the M1......but you can take the boy out of the Manor.........

Hmmm - sounds very Rasa Sayang...

Copthorne Orchid actually.

Previous visit walking round Chowrasta market with Wednesday kit on. A Lxxds fan came up to tell me we had just lost to pigs about 2007. I had the very dark blue/black kit. Used to wear it at a gym and someone nicked it and put iton eBay.

Thereby proving gyms are no good for you.

See you were in Darnall. I was in Darnall libs the night we drew At Arsenal in the 1979 cup replay. On a plane that weekend so missed the replays.

Previous visit walking round Chowrasta market with Wednesday kit on. A Lxxds fan came up to tell me we had just lost to pigs about 2007. I had the very dark blue/black kit. Used to wear it at a gym and someone nicked it and put iton eBay.

See you were in Darnall. I was in Darnall libs the night we drew At Arsenal in the 1979 cup replay. On a plane that weekend so missed the replays.

Were you there when Torch bar was open up on Hillside, just down from the makan stalls? Nice girl was the owner there, Annie. Then Ananda Bhavan, the indian restaurant opened up in the garden right opposite Copthorne. Good food but had to wait some.....nice ice cold bottles of Tiger though.

I grew up on the Littledale mate, used to go in the Half Moon pub. Knew Charlie Williamson and Mel Sterland quite well. Spent a lot of boozy nights on "the village" but that's a different topic on a different forum.

Were you there when Torch bar was open up on Hillside, just down from the makan stalls? Nice girl was the owner there, Annie. Then Ananda Bhavan, the indian restaurant opened up in the garden right opposite Copthorne. Good food but had to wait some.....nice ice cold bottles of Tiger though.

Went to Anand Bhavan on our last night. More rain than I have ever seen before. We ate under a tarpaulin and hotel umbrellas.

Also use the restaurant on Market Street next to the saree shops. Over this last time for a family wedding, the only excuse for missing the Derby. My son was at Hillsborough on my behalf.

Edited by Manor Owl