I said something similar in one of the other Norris threads before it became apparent that he was signing for L**ds. I can't understand the dissapointment. OwlsTalk has bi-polar disorder.

When one door closes another opens. Trevor Francis missed a fantastic opportunity (to say the least) to sign Eric Cantona; a few weeks later he signed Chris Waddle - arguably, the greatest ever player to wear the famous blue and white stripes. I would hazaed a guess that if we would have signed Cantona then we wouldn't have signed Waddle.

Not quite true about Cantona/Waddle mate. We could have signed Cantona in Jan '92 and did not sign Waddle until July (after the end of the 91/92 season). I don't think Waddle was a like for like signing either with him being a winger and Cantona a centre forward. I think it is more a case of if we had signed Cantona we would not have signed Mark Bright in Sep 92....if only:)

Not quite true about Cantona/Waddle mate. We could have signed Cantona in Jan '92 and did not sign Waddle until July (after the end of the 91/92 season). I don't think Waddle was a like for like signing either with him being a winger and Cantona a centre forward. I think it is more a case of if we had signed Cantona we would not have signed Mark Bright in Sep 92....if only:)

Ok - I'm a little out with the amount of time and it is obvious that Waddle and Cantona weren't 'like for like' but what I made a terrible point of saying was that based upon team shape and the need to have 'workers' in the side, I would hazard a guess that if we would have signed Cantona then we wouldn't have signed Waddle. Could we have had a side with Waddle, Cantona and Sheridan in it? I know the Waddle and Shez used to put in shifts but the were never physical 'foot in' players. I think that if we would have signed Cantona then the outside right would have been a player such as Danny Wilson rather than Chris Waddle. Look at Man Utd when they had Cantona; they had Sharp, Giggs or Beckham down the flanks and they had to put shifts in to allow Cantona to do his thing.

Anyway, back to Norris. He ain't no world-beater. We don't know for sure if DJ actually approached him but if Jones did then Norris would have just been a piece of the jigsaw. We will find another jigsaw piece. We move on - no sweat.

Edited by shandypants

Senwar, its because I'm a Wednesday fan and I'm biased, I thought he shouldve come here and why not? Lighten up lol

In all seriousness though, I think Leeds and Weds are carbon copies of each other these days but the imminent sale of Snodgrass will probably give them a bit to spend.

Not the end of the world, but dissapointed to lose out to a local team on him.

Senwar, its because I'm a Wednesday fan and I'm biased, I thought he shouldve come here and why not? Lighten up lol

In all seriousness though, I think Leeds and Weds are carbon copies of each other these days but the imminent sale of Snodgrass will probably give them a bit to spend.

Not the end of the world, but dissapointed to lose out to a local team on him.

But would you really want us to spend 5k a week more to get him? is he worth that? .....is he fooook.!!!!

Nah, to be fair I wasn't overly enamoured when I first linked early in the summer and I was getting carried away about how much we might invest this summer. !ut having thought about it and having a reality check on our budget, the deal looked like a bargain really.

But as you say I wouldn't overspend on a player the wrong side of 30. I think that were clearly waiting on those 25man squads now and we'll probably see some good loans come in again.

Senwar- I know what you mean mate!

Ok - I'm a little out with the amount of time and it is obvious that Waddle and Cantona weren't 'like for like' but what I made a terrible point of saying was that based upon team shape and the need to have 'workers' in the side, I would hazard a guess that if we would have signed Cantona then we wouldn't have signed Waddle. Could we have had a side with Waddle, Cantona and Sheridan in it? I know the Waddle and Shez used to put in shifts but the were never physical 'foot in' players. I think that if we would have signed Cantona then the outside right would have been a player such as Danny Wilson rather than Chris Waddle. Look at Man Utd when they had Cantona; they had Sharp, Giggs or Beckham down the flanks and they had to put shifts in to allow Cantona to do his thing.

Anyway, back to Norris. He ain't no world-beater. We don't know for sure if DJ actually approached him but if Jones did then Norris would have just been a piece of the jigsaw. We will find another jigsaw piece. We move on - no sweat.

i think you make a good point...i'd argue that you would have a great side with shez, waddle and cantona not just because they are all class players but we had carlton palmer to do all the graft in midfield and allow sheridan and waddle to do their stuff. I think Cantona playing off Hirst (in the hole between midfield and attack) would also have been a great combination. The Man U reference is a good one. Giggs/Sharpe on the left are more the out and out winger type (like Waddle) and Beckham more of a wide midfielder (like Harkes/Wilson (not that I'm saying they're as good as Beckham!))). This gave Man U a great balance out wide (which big ron used to like). Unfortunately, for us all three preferred to play down the right which always left us a bit unbalanced as it usually meant Harkes having to play down the left. I always felt that team was crying out for a quality left winger/midfielder.

I like the way a thread about Norris (he's poo pooe anyway) has gone off on a tangent and we're talking about the good old days:)