Current squad

Guest King Mong

We lack two key ingredients to be a successful Championship side. Pace and guile. We also lack players in the top third with Championship experience. The likes of Semedo, Madine and Lines were very good League One players, but there is no certainty that they will make the step up and be good championship players. The thought of starting at Derby with Mike Jones and Jermaine Johnson out wide, two players who were left out of our League One team in favour of two loanee's suggests what the coaching staff think of them. It also suggests we have an awful lot of work to do to have us ready for Derby.

I'd agree with the thoughts of most on here. As a minimum we need to go into the Derby game with a central midfield player and a winger with pace, I also think we are in desperate need of a pacy striker. After that, we can probably look in the loan market for a right sided centre-half and another wide man. What would be disappointing is if we start the season still needing the players we think we need. That would suggest a lack of a back-up plan, which nearly cost us last season in August and January.

For the record, this lad McCabe I would suggest would be for the first team squad.

And if we are going to be loaning players. Season long loans only. The farce that was the Ben Marshall saga should be a lesson learned. A three month loan still leaves a hole to fill at the end of it.

Guest King Mong

It seems to me that the vast majority of us would have little idea how good most of our signings so far will be and it's much too early to make any such assumptions. Nor should it be forgotten that we took 36 of the final 42 points available to us last season, which proves we are not bums, even if it was at a lower level.

I'd suggest that three loan players were key to our season. Ben Marshall, Danny Batth and Michail Antonio, in addition to Gary Madine and Jose Semedo. We haven't replaced Marshall/Antonio yet, so in our midfield, we are weaker then we were last season. You only have to look at the time we spent without both of them, it was our worst spell of the season.

I want prutton and r.jones to stay this season.

I don't think they will get much playing time but I get the impression that both are good in the dressing room in terms of leadership and team spirit.

What gives you that impression?

Guest Sniper1

It seems to me that the vast majority of us would have little idea how good most of our signings so far will be and it's much too early to make any such assumptions. Nor should it be forgotten that we took 36 of the final 42 points available to us last season, which proves we are not bums, even if it was at a lower level.

and included Danny Batth, Keith Treacy, Michail Antonio and Nile Ranger.

We are weaker in the final third, yet we are in a division higher.

I suppose there is still time but its not looking good if im honest.

The start of the season is around the corner and we are losing out on targets.

Panic buying will kick in soon, im starting to worry slightly.

Guest Fedor

I take the point about loanees, but I'm not convinced Treacy and Ranger played a part that could be described as irreplaceable.

There's clearly more work needed in attacking areas but there's plenty of time yet.

post-19248-0-63233700-1343332802_thumb.j

and included Danny Batth, Keith Treacy, Michail Antonio and Nile Ranger.

We are weaker in the final third, yet we are in a division higher.

I suppose there is still time but its not looking good if im honest.

The start of the season is around the corner and we are losing out on targets.

Panic buying will kick in soon, im starting to worry slightly.

Don't panic, it's 3 weeks until the start of the season and 5 weeks until the end of the transfer window. Which targets are we losing out on? If you're talking about Norris there hasn't been any indication that we were actually interested in the first place apart from what you read on Twitter or in the papers.

Guest alwaysaowl

we need a few good players in to compete in the championship there are far better clubs that are spending.sooner the better before season starts otherewise it could be along season i trust dj and mm to sort this out very soon.

Edited by alwaysaowl

GK

1. Kirkland

2. Bywater

3. Weaver

4. Jameson

RB----------CB----------CB----------LB

1. Buxton-----Gardner-----Llera-----Mattock

2. Lee-----R.Jones-----Beevers-----R.Johnson

3. Reynolds-----Bennett-----D.Jones

RM----------CM----------CM----------LM

1. J.Johnson-----Semedo-----Lines-----Pecnik

2. Nyoni-----Amado-----Prutton-----M.Jones

CF----------CF

1. Maguire-----Madine

2. O’Grady-----Lowe

3. Kyle

Loaned out

Palmer

What needs to happen (imo)

Keeper - Weaver out. Jameson out on loan/development squad

Defence - 1 CB (Batth) in. R.Jones, Reynolds, Bennett, D.Jones out.

Midfield - 1 RM (Antonio), 1 LM (Treacy), 1 CM (Norris) in. Prutton, M. Jones out. Nyoni out on loan/development squad

Attack - 1 CF (Earnshaw) in. O'Grady out. Kyle out on loan/development squad

Football management is easy.

It's easy except Norris has signed for Leeds, Baath won't be signing and Earnshaw is rogering terrible.

I am taking a bit of solace in the fact that we took a while last season to get our arses in gear with regards to transfers.

It is strange, because we have been relatively busy, but the squad is still clearly short in important areas.

Guest Big Guns

I know you are fishing. . .but we have been relatively busy in comparison with most sides.

Let's hope the players we've signed are up to the job cos only madine ,semedo and possibly Buxton are the only players I hoped would be first team regulars this season.......

Guest Sniper1

Don't panic, it's 3 weeks until the start of the season and 5 weeks until the end of the transfer window. Which targets are we losing out on? If you're talking about Norris there hasn't been any indication that we were actually interested in the first place apart from what you read on Twitter or in the papers.

15 business days until the start of the season.

We started really well with the out of contract players then we spent a bit of cash for Maguire and thats it.

Amado and Pecnik might be great, they might not be, unknowns are risky and don't show a great deal of ambition.

I hope im wrong but i can see us scrambling around in August and September trying to pick up decent loanees.

Not really what i expected or wanted.

Just my thoughts.

We started really well with the out of contract players then we spent a bit of cash for Maguire and thats it.

Amado and Pecnik might be great, they might not be, unknowns are risky and don't show a great deal of ambition.

I hope im wrong but i can see us scrambling around in August and September trying to pick up decent loanees.

Just my thoughts.

Well the longer it drags, then the more likely your prediction is accurate.

Guest Sniper1

why cant we get rid er no cnut,ij tell u why, they are all crap players on good money,love to know who sanctioned this madness

Id like to know who thought Mark Reynolds was a good player.

Bennett did well for Forest but it looks like the injury he had as done for him.

Coke, Dan Jones and a few others will be on top end League One wages especially with a promotion.

Which clubs in League One who could afford those wages will want those players? None.

Im starting to realise that the Championship is going to be much tougher than i originally thought, not necessarily on the pitch.

Just my thoughts.

I hear ya mate, just think of the alternative had MM not taken over our club? I'm just happy to be competitive again and am sure that MM will bring one or two players in for fees between now and the start of the season. If not then his investment (which I think he's looking to make money on) will dwindle somewhat.

We've brought in a few players and think that most clubs are a way off finalising their squads for next season.

Guest Sniper1

My thoughts exactly what we have at present should be good enough to survive and we know there are more to follow but some real quality is needed.

Sorry Rob, what we have at the moment will be adrift by Christmas.

A strongest midfield 4 of JJ, Semedo, Lines and Mike Jones will create zero in the championship.

I love JJ but what happens when he picks up his little niggles and misses games?

We cannot expect him to play week in, week out.

We are solid enough but lack quality in key areas.

Dave Jones knows this, he wants what we want, the question is will he get what he wants?

Im not sure now, things are going painfully slow.

Do i need more patience or do we have reason to have concerns?

You've absolutely no idea how much Dave Jones has seen of these two players. Just because they're unknown to you doesn't mean they are to those who matter and it has absolutely nothing to do with ambition or lack of, either.

Edited by Sonny