Squad last night

Obviously it's now been made clear that Bennett and Reynolds have been made surplus to requirements.....

However looking through our 'unused' subs last night are we to presume that Coke and Prutton are also being moved on or were they suffering knocks?? Surely if they are out in Portugal they'd be in the matchday squad?

FWIW I don't think any of the above 4 would be missed. It does however appear that we are giving young Danny Jones another crack!

Obviously it's now been made clear that Bennett and Reynolds have been made surplus to requirements.....

However looking through our 'unused' subs last night are we to presume that Coke and Prutton are also being moved on or were they suffering knocks?? Surely if they are out in Portugal they'd be in the matchday squad?

FWIW I don't think any of the above 4 would be missed. It does however appear that we are giving young Danny Jones another crack!

FWIW?!

I would expect both to play at some point. They'll be even harder to transfer out if they havent had a pre-season and need to play catch up. Alternatively, if they dont get a move away, you're then stuck with players who are unfit to even help the first XI. Same reason i assume Antonio is still getting a run out at Reading

Guest wilyfox

Rob Jones, O'Grady & Prutton will probably start against Reading - possibly Coke too. Lee was subbed on 50mins - probably with Reading in mind since he's our only available RB at present. doubt any of those that played 90mins will feature (Beevers, Reda & Semedo; JJ and Lines played most of the game too)

my prediction:

anyone bar Henriques

Lee Llera Jones Mattock

Jones Prutton Coke Jones

Harewood O'Grady

Subs: the rest

Can we tell anything from these games, with triallist being given run outs, players playing out of position and a borrowed goalkeeper

Well, yes. I can already tell we need to get the new players in ASAP, that we need some flair and creativity in the team, and a goalscorer.

I've already formed the opinion the young keeper isn't good enough, and I'm still to be convinced about Harewood, and suspect he might not be offered a contract (dependant upon what we do in the transfer window).

I was impressed with our approach to the game, staying patient, wanting to pass the ball about, but less impressed with the number of passes that went astray to give the ball back to the opposition. It was like watching England in the Euros.

Seen enough to know we're heading in the right direction, that relegation is not going to be a concern, but that key to any success, will be how we complete our squad, and whether or not it will contain the creativity and clinical finishing in front of goal, we desparately need on a weekly basis.

Our finishing can be a bit hit and miss at times. That's ok when you're creating 20 odd chances in League 1, but is unlikely to be repeated in the Championship. We will need to take a larger percentage of the fewer chances we create, requiring more clinical finishing in front of goal.

Rob Jones, O'Grady & Prutton will probably start against Reading - possibly Coke too. Lee was subbed on 50mins - probably with Reading in mind since he's our only available RB at present. doubt any of those that played 90mins will feature (Beevers, Reda & Semedo; JJ and Lines played most of the game too)

my prediction:

anyone bar Henriques

Lee Llera Jones Mattock

Jones Prutton Coke Jones

Harewood O'Grady

Subs: the rest

I'd probably start with Harewood and Madine seeing as they haven't been tried together yet. Would also like to see Amado start to see what he's like against proper English opposition.

Edited by Babushka1867

Guest wilyfox

I'd probably start with Harewood and Madine seeing as they haven't been tried together yet. Would also like to see Amado start to see what he's like against proper English opposition.

Madine started against Sporting, O'Grady is fresh. i'd be surprised to see DJ start players twice in 48hrs this early in pre-season. might not have a choice with Lee if Buxton remains unavailable - with Bennett and Reynolds not making the journey. could always play Dan Jones as a full-back, bringing Amado into the side.