League Cup Renamed - It will always be the Rumbelows to me

"The Football League has agreed a new four year title sponsorship for its showpiece cup competition, the League Cup, with leading UK credit card company Capital One.

From the start of the 2012/13 season, the 52-year-old knockout competition - one of the domestic game's three major honours - will be titled the Capital One Cup.

Capital One opened its UK HQ in Nottingham in 1997 and today is a top 10 credit card issuer in the UK with three million customers."

Capital One - aren't they someone to do with our stinky neighbours! - should we be upset or demand an apology or sue the Football League ?

The

rumbleing

capital

one

cup

sh*t the bed. Someone in Marketing needs to get a grip.

That they can get anyone to sponsor it at all is a minor miracle, considering how devalued its become over the last few years.

I remember walking through meadowhall the week before the cup final in '91 and the electronic goods store of the same name had it in the window as the RumbeOwls Cup. That's what it will always be to me. UTO.

Even in it's original form, "The League Cup", it meant next to nothing. I seem to remember that back in the dim and distant past many teams didn't enter until it was revived by being made an entry route into Europe. Then of course it went down the sponsor route and in my eyes at least, it became even more devalued because of all the stupid names. I thought it a joke that in '91 we were given the cup by a Rumbleows employee!

It was never even in the same league as the F.A.Cup (unfortunate mtaphore, I know!), but even that is rapidly declining in importance.

Now! The LDV vans trophy and the Johnsons paint trophy....quality!

If asda had it the pigs would be so petty they'd have a shoes off protest not to enter it . Its funny 'cos its true :-) personally i don't think you can go wrong with a cocup now and again

Edited by cross owl