Canada/USA Owls - watch PNE game in vancouver

Whistler is not Vancouver, I live in Vancouver and you 119Klm's away!!!! :ph34r:

Anyone thinking of coming here should, best thing I ever did! but be ready to really put the work in as no body gives you anything here with out you earning it in terms of jobs and career's.

And there is a person somewhere with SWFC on their number plate with stickers and kits in the window!

Loads of owls here too!!

What? I've just said Canadians are very friendly. If me and the Doris were a bit younger we'd consider moving there

I'm offended :sad:

Joking darra, luv ya! XoXo

Whistler is not Vancouver, I live in Vancouver and you 119Klm's away!!!! :ph34r:

Anyone thinking of coming here should, best thing I ever did! but be ready to really put the work in as no body gives you anything here with out you earning it in terms of jobs and career's.

And there is a person somewhere with SWFC on their number plate with stickers and kits in the window!

Loads of owls here too!!

Agreed. During the world cup I ran into a few owls in the sports bars watching the games, mostly ex-pats. Didnt have any of my wednesday gear with me out there so a few of them looked at me all wee wee tail-eyed due to my thick East Coast accent.

Was planning to grab a beer with Mickjj one of those weekends, but I was working 48-50hrs a week to make ends meet, Hard to find the time.

Next time I'm out there we should get a crew together for a live game. BANTER.

Edited by canadianowl

Banff is quiet in the summer and Kelowna doesnt work like that, lived there 7 years and the service jobs go to old town families kids.

Stick to Vancouver if yoiu want a working holiday, wages in Kelowna are below par.

Dunno about that (regarding Banff). My daughter works for Canadian Mountain Holidays, the heli-skiiing outfit, and she got in by going to see them. Deffo more opportunities in Vancouver and that might be a good place to start to make a few friends thenhhead to the mountains.

Actually there's tons of work in Calgary and Edmonton, too

Jasper's also very nice, if a bit quieter

I've lived in Calgary for 18 months now, and I love it. I also lived in Ottawa for 2 months. Both cities have different things to offer in terms of culture and job opportunities, but I'll tell you why I prefer Calgary over the other places I have visited/lived in:

1. Alberta has one of the lowest provinicial tax rates (10% on taxable income)

2. Its two hours by from the mountains by the bone-rattler bus (Greyhound) - quicker by car

3. Its two hours drive from Dinosaur central - the Tyrell dinosaur museum. EPIC.

4. Its four hours to Montana and the glacier national park

5. The stampede is every year - two weeks of boozing and not much work getting done -for the lads the city is awash with cowgirls in hotpants

6. Thomas Cook operate a budget flight via www.canadianaffair.com from Calgary to Glasgow, Manchester or Gatwick - good if you need to get home in an emergency

7. Plenty of Brit pubs incase you get homesick. One in Calgary is known to open very early for UK football matches

8. Transport network isnt bad at all

9. Calgary is an expanding city - plenty of jobs to be had.

I echo the comment above about friendly Canadians - In all the time I've lived here I've only met one arsehole and they were an Brit ex-pat.

Ottawa is also nice - but it has a more European flavour with the language/culture/architecture. Calgary is bascailly a shiny new city. If I were you I wouldnt take a seasonal job in Banff - it's expensive to live there since the shops and accomodation are geared towards toursits and you'll probbaly get basic wage. Plus, I wouldnt say it's authentic Canadian since its full of 'Gap-year' beads, flip flops, dreadlocks and didgerdoos. Thats not my scene.... Halifax - bit too much like Britain - Small, wet and miserable but again, cant fault the people

If you decide to come over - make sure you have an open work permit + plenty cash sorted before you travel. My Belgian friend came with a one-way ticket and a verbal say-so that she would have her permit and it would be fine. She didn't - they took her passport and threatened to deport her in two weeks if it wasnt sorted. Also, hunt for jobs that dont require the employer to seek an 'LMO' - Labour Market Opinion, basically its proof that you arent pinching jobs from Canadians. You're more likely to get hired since an LMO is a lot of paperwork for them to do.

Thats my two-penneth. I'm sure people will put me right if I have any info wrong. Good luck :rolleyes:

I've lived in Calgary for 18 months now, and I love it. I also lived in Ottawa for 2 months. Both cities have different things to offer in terms of culture and job opportunities, but I'll tell you why I prefer Calgary over the other places I have visited/lived in:

1. Alberta has one of the lowest provinicial tax rates (10% on taxable income)

2. Its two hours by from the mountains by the bone-rattler bus (Greyhound) - quicker by car

3. Its two hours drive from Dinosaur central - the Tyrell dinosaur museum. EPIC.

4. Its four hours to Montana and the glacier national park

5. The stampede is every year - two weeks of boozing and not much work getting done -for the lads the city is awash with cowgirls in hotpants

6. Thomas Cook operate a budget flight via www.canadianaffair.com from Calgary to Glasgow, Manchester or Gatwick - good if you need to get home in an emergency

7. Plenty of Brit pubs incase you get homesick. One in Calgary is known to open very early for UK football matches

8. Transport network isnt bad at all

9. Calgary is an expanding city - plenty of jobs to be had.

I echo the comment above about friendly Canadians - In all the time I've lived here I've only met one arsehole and they were an Brit ex-pat.

Ottawa is also nice - but it has a more European flavour with the language/culture/architecture. Calgary is bascailly a shiny new city. If I were you I wouldnt take a seasonal job in Banff - it's expensive to live there since the shops and accomodation are geared towards toursits and you'll probbaly get basic wage. Plus, I wouldnt say it's authentic Canadian since its full of 'Gap-year' beads, flip flops, dreadlocks and didgerdoos. Thats not my scene.... Halifax - bit too much like Britain - Small, wet and miserable but again, cant fault the people

If you decide to come over - make sure you have an open work permit + plenty cash sorted before you travel. My Belgian friend came with a one-way ticket and a verbal say-so that she would have her permit and it would be fine. She didn't - they took her passport and threatened to deport her in two weeks if it wasnt sorted. Also, hunt for jobs that dont require the employer to seek an 'LMO' - Labour Market Opinion, basically its proof that you arent pinching jobs from Canadians. You're more likely to get hired since an LMO is a lot of paperwork for them to do.

Thats my two-penneth. I'm sure people will put me right if I have any info wrong. Good luck :rolleyes:

Just realised that most of the list of positives about Calgary are places to go that are two hours from it. Fail.

Joking darra, luv ya! XoXo

Agreed. During the world cup I ran into a few owls in the sports bars watching the games, mostly ex-pats. Didnt have any of my wednesday gear with me out there so a few of them looked at me all wee wee tail-eyed due to my thick East Coast accent.

Was planning to grab a beer with Mickjj one of those weekends, but I was working 48-50hrs a week to make ends meet, Hard to find the time.

Next time I'm out there we should get a crew together for a live game. BANTER.

Know you were apology accepted :laugh:

Any excuse :biggrin: Next time mate I will host an "Owlstalk" BBQ with lots of food and drink and will have Owls DVD's playing non stop.