J P McGovern - Owlstalk Legend

A bit like Lee Peacock. A very average (at best) third division player, but fantastic attitude and work rate, and totally committed to the cause. There are some players you know who are destined for better things, like Whelan and Brunt, and others who are going to be plying their trade in the bottom two divisions. Unfortunately JP falls into the latter category.

At the time we had him he was a bit better than that to be fair mate but I know where you are coming from and as he is past his best now it's not an option I think would work plus would his influence and charisma around the dressing room be the same if he wasn't a key member of the 1st team?

Also agree about Peacock, me and some of my mates spoke to him on a few occasions and I would think his influence on the feel good factor at the club at that time was massive.

He was shat on by Dave Allen.

Unless I'm mistaken, JP played every game in our promotion season and was instrumenal for us on the field and seemingly a great character off it. Then had a really unlucky time with injuries the folowing season making only a handful of appearances, the first big layoff of his career.

Then Allen came out with the comment that we were no longer going to keep or sign injury prone players...well that's a fair enough thing to say even though I wouldn't call JP injury prone. But then what do we do? Replace him with Wade flippingSmall.

Nice one there Dave, but at least we didn't go on to sign any other injury prone big time Charlies on big wages. Oh wait....

So... What was he doing the the inflateable ball?

Being well practiced in the art of handling inflatables can come in handy for.........................................................................................................well all sorts of things!

Gets coat and heads for taxi

Guest foreverSWFC

Come on people, he is a 30 year old winger who cannot even get a game for Swindon in their most crucial match of the season.

A great character and a good signing 5 years ago, but people calling him a legend is just plain stupid. Are you saying he is in the same breath as Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle ETC.

Lets leave the sentiments behind.

I'd have him back.

Those against it, are you saying he wouldn't be worth having in a pool of 4 wingers for next season?

After watching Teale and Sedgwick this season I'd carry JPM to Hillsborough while walking on my knees.

Get Him Back Wednesday Legend One of My Favorite players BRING JP BACK

That's it you two! Join the 'BRING JPM BACK' Campaign!! :biggrin:

He was shat on by Dave Allen.

Unless I'm mistaken, JP played every game in our promotion season and was instrumenal for us on the field and seemingly a great character off it. Then had a really unlucky time with injuries the folowing season making only a handful of appearances, the first big layoff of his career.

Then Allen came out with the comment that we were no longer going to keep or sign injury prone players...well that's a fair enough thing to say even though I wouldn't call JP injury prone. But then what do we do? Replace him with Wade flippingSmall.

Nice one there Dave, but at least we didn't go on to sign any other injury prone big time Charlies on big wages. Oh wait....

Wolfmanjack fully agreed with Dave Allen over this and would be interested if he still believes JPM is injury prone.

Come on people, he is a 30 year old winger who cannot even get a game for Swindon in their most crucial match of the season.

A great character and a good signing 5 years ago, but people calling him a legend is just plain stupid. Are you saying he is in the same breath as Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle ETC.

Lets leave the sentiments behind.

What if you never saw Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle play?

They're legends to me but I never saw them play. Whereas I saw JPM play and it was the most successful season we've had in the last 10 years.

Guest foreverSWFC

What if you never saw Hirst, Sheridan, Waddle play?

They're legends to me but I never saw them play. Whereas I saw JPM play and it was the most successful season we've had in the last 10 years.

[/quote

Unfortunately thats how bad Wednesday hbave been in recent years, nobody since then really has got the label of legend.

To call him a legend is a bit eccentric, he had one year with the club which was successful, the other he was injured.

I never saw Hirst, Waddle and Sheridan play but i know what to class as a legend. Trust me JPM is NOT a legend. One day we will get our glory days and then younger people like me and you can call those players legends.