Next season's average gate

Sometimes I come across as a self riotious tail, and this may well turn out to be one of those occasions.

However, for the first time in a long time, we have the blunts in our sights, and we can all taste the possibility we'll outdo them on the pitch next season.

Add to that thought, the fact that a very short time ago we were in the clutches of a group of people we believed had taken us down a path that would lead us to extinction, indeed we thought it was "time to go" for them. They went. We got Milan Mandaric. We got rid of a huge millstone from our shoulders - the debt, and finally really do have "a bit of money to throw at it"

That's two out of three things we need for success next season, the third is me, you, every bugger who's in a half mind to go next season getting out of the habit of "going shopping with our lass", "going t'pub", "anything other then watching that shower of sh!te". etc. Just go and be a supporter again. Hopefully enjoying doing so!

It's not my job to say "go get a season ticket" but I honestly believe if we get behind the club next season in numbers which far outweigh those across the city, the rivalry that exists between our two clubs will spurr on Wednesday, as it put's United to the sword, with their sub 15k average gate, the question is, can we attain a plus 20k gate if we are doing well? I'd like to think so.

Anyone who says attendences don't matter, well - it does to me, and I don't think i'm on my own. It's about getting a feel good factor going again, and we can't do that with the crowd's we've been getting of late.

Will this post change anyone's mind? Not a chance, i'm just saying i'd like next season to be different.

Disagree not with the thinking and what you believe but I think there are extra factors to consider 5 years ago when we were down in this league there was no recession and up till dec we were 2nd in the league I think a lot of people are struggling to afford to go add to that recent goings on before the takeover, all in all numbers should go up but don't get to carried away, when job are easier to get vat reduces and we start looking like beating most teams then the numbers will be up there, but I'd say 2 years from now 20k +

Disagree not with the thinking and what you believe but I think there are extra factors to consider 5 years ago when we were down in this league there was no recession and up till dec we were 2nd in the league I think a lot of people are struggling to afford to go add to that recent goings on before the takeover, all in all numbers should go up but don't get to carried away, when job are easier to get vat reduces and we start looking like beating most teams then the numbers will be up there, but I'd say 2 years from now 20k +

The difference in VAT now and back then on a £100 shop is not a great deal of money. That doesn't come into the equation.

Those who I know who were out of a job back then, well, they mainly are the same ones who are out of a job now, i.e layabouts - obviously this is not the whole story, but generally speaking I think those who could afford it 5 years ago, still can today.

Maybe just seen numbers drop over the last 3 years and I thought up till Xmas numbers would be good and they never did and we were up to second

I'd go for 19000 if a decent pre season

But if 2 things happen I'd go for 21000 if we get a quality player or two in and by Xmas were right up there I think the second half of the season the average will get boosted

Guest Saturday Owl

Over 21'000 if were doing well, especially with a few more local clubs in and around us bringing more fans.

This season we've had far too many small clubs from down south on a Tuesday night bringing a taxi load.... :rolleyes:

I agree with those saying we won't achieve much crowd wise unless we are winning, however - their is a problem. What if a correlation exists between us winning and having good support, which has to give first? Do we have to be successful for the fans to come back, or do the fans have to come back for us to be successful?

Edited by salmonbones

I agree with those saying we won't achieve much crowd wise unless we are winning, however - their is a problem. What if a correlation exists between us winning and having good support, which has to give first? Do we have to be successful for the fans to come back, or do the fans have to come back for us to be successful?

In an ideal world the fans would come anyway, Wednesday fans have shown that loyalty in the past (i.e. last time we were here) but it seems to have worn totally thin after a second relegation.

Realistically now, rightly or wrongly its up to the club to get them back in. I think that this summer will generate optimism again with a really ambitious chairman in charge and we will see a surge of interest in ST's over the summer as the signings come in.

As Saturday Owl says, with a more local interest this season it will bring in bigger crowds and importantly bigger gate reciepts. I reckon the potential Steel City Derby could generate up to £400-500k, if Donny came down that would be another good crowd as will Chesterfield. If only Rotherham could pull their socks up.

Edited by Bluesteel