Darren Purse

Thing is, Purse is saying there isn't a good atmosphere at Hillsborough but in the same breathe he's saying we got relegated because some players didn't want it enough, some of whom are still at the club and have contributed to our woeful league position this season. Does Darren expect us to blindly back these players who are actually stealing money from the fans who pay them?!

Sheffield Wednesday fans ARE the best in the country when given a team worthy of their support, if only in terms of desire. Unfortunately we never had this in DP's time at the club so he never saw it, but ask Lee Bullen, JP McGovern, Steve Maclean about our support and see what they say Darren!

Great interview.

Sad to hear about the support but it's so true.

I've not enjoyed Hillsborough at all this season, on the pitch is bad and there is no excuse for it but the negativity in the stands is so depressing.

We are great at turning up in numbers but actually supporting is a different thing.

Top bloke very honest credit to his profession did a lot of things off the field aswell with childrens hospital and he lived just across the road from me got involved with local school gala talked to everyone you dont see many footballers doing it! Good luck to him and his family!!

Thing is, Purse is saying there isn't a good atmosphere at Hillsborough but in the same breathe he's saying we got relegated because some players didn't want it enough, some of whom are still at the club and have contributed to our woeful league position this season. Does Darren expect us to blindly back these players who are actually stealing money from the fans who pay them?!

Sheffield Wednesday fans ARE the best in the country when given a team worthy of their support, if only in terms of desire. Unfortunately we never had this in DP's time at the club so he never saw it, but ask Lee Bullen, JP McGovern, Steve Maclean about our support and see what they say Darren!

And that post perfectly highlights another point in the interview (not getting at you TheWednesadyFC ), Wednesday fans in general will always look to the past no matter how poo poo or good we were.

Some of our fans are like old codgers constantly telling us "...how much better it was back in their days..."

Guest aphextwins

Good honest interview. Wish more players would come out and tell us what really is going off behind the scenes at Hillsborough.

They are two different things though mate.

The point is - it's extremely hard to direct your anger at specific individuals. When we play at home, sometimes the atmosphere can be utterly poisonous. I don't think it's a coincidence that some of our best performances and results have been away from Hillsborough...

Guest bbutterfield

Agree with everything that's been said on this page really. Also really great interview with Darren, always gave 100%, sadly not true of many other members of our squad. Attitude seems to be a problem for some, no wonder the fans clashed with JJ.

I feel it is something that develops through a season like this. I wonder if anyone can tell me if the fans were different for Megson's first home game?

Really interesting You can learn a lot from interviews with ex-players. As long as they are not bitter and clearly Darren is not.

I think as fans we need to take a long hard look at ourselves. I know the ultras thing is all very jokey etc but if it inadvertently creates a better atmosphere then that's fine. I think the instant response to lambast it by quite a few is very indicative. Looks like you genuinely only get the club you deserve.

Another point from that interview -

We were relegated really because of issues with attitude. I think there was no winning mentality and a number didn't want it enough.'

Doesn't surprise anybody. Now we've heard it virtually from the horses mouth. GM needs to sign a couple of strong characters this summer. I think the model of signing young players for the future is generally right, but it needs to be balanced with a bit of mental toughness and experience.

And that post perfectly highlights another point in the interview (not getting at you TheWednesadyFC ), Wednesday fans in general will always look to the past no matter how poo poo or good we were.

Some of our fans are like old codgers constantly telling us "...how much better it was back in their days..."

Won't let me edit my post, but I really wanted to add that we need to concentrate on the future.

MM has given us the opportunity to do this.

I sit about 15 rows in front of these knobs on the North.

I cringe every time I hear the pathetic boos and "you're not fit" chants.

flipping ridiculous. No wonder our players look like they don't want to be there. I bet they're so happy when the final whistle goes.

its just as bad in the kop mate ...

Guest Big Guns

good honest interview and he even admited thats hes poo , well darren im not gunna argue with that top man 4 admiting it

Guest Big Guns

He said his form when he first joined was poo poo, nothing more

well he dint get much better than poo did he ,just cos he gave a good interview dunt mean he was suddenly a good player ,he weas crap for us and he kows it

well he dint get much better than poo did he ,just cos he gave a good interview dunt mean he was suddenly a good player ,he weas crap for us and he kows it

He had a bad first few months, then from October on he was outstanding for the rest of last season.

"The fans turn up in big numbers and there were only two games I felt the atmosphere was good, the Sheffield United and the Crystal Palace games. Sheffield Wednesday fans won't like me saying it but I've played for some great supporters in Birmingham City, Cardiff City and now Millwall where the fans back you no matter what you do, I don't think you get that at Wednesday. I played at Hillsborough when things were good for the club and it was a great place to play football. Maybe I have been spoilt playing for the fans I have".

There you have it.

Back the players no matter what they do and they will respond in a positive way.

He should try being a Wednesday supporter and see if he still thinks the same.

Guest bbutterfield

Nobody has said that though. People have said he is an honest good person, which he has always come across as. He knows he didn't exactly set the division alight with his performances, as do we. As I mentioned earlier, his attitude and effort is one thing we are missing right now. Our form has got worse since he left. One less person who gives a damn, unfortunately

Edited by bbutterfield

It shows how players can never say anything truthful (unless positive) when they are at the club. Now that we've heard it from the horses mouth that Hillsborough has a negative vibe we really need to try and improve this.

My favourite line.

'Listen, the majority of fans never forgave me for the bad start I had when I joined the club when I was poo poo. Saying that, I have received loads of letters from fans being superb with me, asking me to come back etc It's a shame that a small amount let the real fans down.

Very honest!