The post red card collapse

So Irvine is claiming that the red card was the turning point in the game, which it clearly was, but.....why should it have led to such a capitulation?

We lost a midfielder who couldn't tackle if his life depended on it, and replaced him in the centre with O'Connor who plenty would say should have started the game instead of Potter anyway. OK so we lost Mellor up top, yet we still had an intact back four and due to O'Connor coming on arguably a stronger midfield. Yet we went on to concede 3 goals in 20 odd minutes, with Peterborough suddenly able to seemingly create chances at will.

Compare this to the mighty Yeovil Town who went down to 9 men, having lost 2 of their defenders, yet only conceded once in nearly 30 minutes. Something is clearly seriously wrong, and I put it down to the lack of experienced leaders on the field...

Potter is a very integral player.

He holds the team together with his passing and other players look to give the ball to him because he is calm on the ball.

He is scapegoat number one on here but he is probably the worst player we could've lost last night.

Guest intercity0wl

Potter is a very integral player.

He holds the team together with his passing and other players look to give the ball to him because he is calm on the ball.

He is scapegoat number one on here but he is probably the worst player we could've lost last night.

Spot on.

Actually - Potter had a good game last night. Coke ran the midfield for us but Potter was ever present. It wasn't a bad game from him by any means.

The red card itself was just poo poo luck. We got caught short and Potter was millimetres from making what would have been an incredible challenge. It was poo poo or bust - go for the challenge and risk a red or pretty much guarantee that we concede an equaliser.

Also - at the time - we were hounding them for a 4th goal. We looked genuinely dangerous going forward and the impetus was entirely with us - BUT - they looked extremely dangerous on the counter.

As soon as potter went off, it broke the spell of pressure. Straight away we had one less man in there and that was compounded by the fact that most of their attempts on goal came from a lack of pressure in the middle of the pitch. They turned the tide on us and, considering we were in the lead, the most sensible thing would have been to secure the midfield and bring off a striker. I don't think there's anything wrong in that decision.

Unfortunately, they could smell blood, and the game switched from us searching for a 4th to them searching for an equaliser.

I genuinely don't see what Irvine could have done differently.

Edit - also your last comment, I sort of agree, there is a lack of experience on there, but more crucially I put it down to our mentality as a team. We had already been exposed by refusing to press the ball and had gotten away with it a few times.

When they turned up the heat and we continued to refuse to press the ball, it meant they could absolutely batter our final third. Coupled with the lack of experience, that served to pretty much kill us.

Edited by Brownlad

So Irvine is claiming that the red card was the turning point in the game, which it clearly was, but.....why should it have led to such a capitulation?

We lost a midfielder who couldn't tackle if his life depended on it, and replaced him in the centre with O'Connor who plenty would say should have started the game instead of Potter anyway. OK so we lost Mellor up top, yet we still had an intact back four and due to O'Connor coming on arguably a stronger midfield. Yet we went on to concede 3 goals in 20 odd minutes, with Peterborough suddenly able to seemingly create chances at will.

Compare this to the mighty Yeovil Town who went down to 9 men, having lost 2 of their defenders, yet only conceded once in nearly 30 minutes. Something is clearly seriously wrong, and I put it down to the lack of experienced leaders on the field...

abser-fookin-lutely !!!

except i put it down to lack of tactical nouse and leadership OFF the pitch

That was pretty much the point of the post. I wasn't having a go at either Irvine or Potter (although I've been highly critical of both of them before), it was the fact that the lack of experience and/or leadership probably cost us dearly.

Compare our mental attitude at going down to 10 men seemingly accepting that we were going to lose and basically collapsing, with the attitude of Yeovil who went down to 9 men yet they just seemed to roll their sleeves up and work their b0llocks off to get a result.

That was pretty much the point of the post. I wasn't having a go at either Irvine or Potter (although I've been highly critical of both of them before), it was the fact that the lack of experience and/or leadership probably cost us dearly.

Compare our mental attitude at going down to 10 men seemingly accepting that we were going to lose and basically collapsing, with the attitude of Yeovil who went down to 9 men yet they just seemed to roll their sleeves up and work their b0llocks off to get a result.

Agreed.

Will also add that a lot of it depends on how the attacking team approaches the game after being given a man advantage.

Peterborough did all the right things to take control, they kept the ball down, and used the extra man in the right area, the middle of the field.

When Yeovil went down to 10, then 9, we just pinged the ball long towards their goal for 20 minutes in hope, without any real thought.

We had no out ball last night either, we were camped in our half the whole time, with no way of getting up the other end, when we got the ball, we leathered it at Madine, who was left on his own with no chance,

I appreciate its hard but we never got out of our half, we piled everybody on the edge of our box and invited P'boro to come at us time and again, we arent good enough to keep teams out with 11 men playing that way, so it was never going to work with 10, so it was only a matter of time before they got through.

Attack was the best form of defence last night.