Guest BoomTownOwls

To Continue on the hard man theme, who have been the hardest over the last 50 years.............who are our hard men from days gone by ?

In order of my recollection Norman Curtis, Tony Kay, David Layne, Don Megson, Gerry Young, Wilf Smith, Vic Mobley, Grahem Pugh, Ian Branfoot, Colin Proffit, Dave Clements, Ken Knighton, Ray Coyle, Rodger Wylde, David Grant, Mick Pickering, Mel Sterland, Mick Lyons, Lawrie Madden, Carlton Palmer, Nigel Pearson, David Hirst, Paul Warhurst, Des Walker, Madjid Boughera, Lee Bullen and at a push Glen Whelan

Have I missed anyone or is there anyone I've included you thing to be a wus ?

UTO WTID

Don't think I would class Lawrie Madden, Paul Warhurst, Des Walker or Madjid Bougherra as hard men.

Danny Wilson was definitely a hard man, there was no way he would ever shirk a tackle. Not our greatest player but Andy Pearce liked a tackle. Would definitely put Coughlin in there, again not a great player but boy did he lead by example. Would definitely put Lee Chapman in there as well.

What is fair to say is that they would all walk into our current team.

Graham Pugh was always my childhood favourite.

At the time (1966) wasn't he the youngest ever to play in a Cup Final.

I think so from memory.

No Howard Kendall was younger when he played in the 1964 final for Preston.

To Continue on the hard man theme, who have been the hardest over the last 50 years.............who are our hard men from days gone by ?

In order of my recollection Norman Curtis, Tony Kay, David Layne, Don Megson, Gerry Young, Wilf Smith, Vic Mobley, Grahem Pugh, Ian Branfoot, Colin Proffit, Dave Clements, Ken Knighton, Ray Coyle, Rodger Wylde, David Grant, Mick Pickering, Mel Sterland, Mick Lyons, Lawrie Madden, Carlton Palmer, Nigel Pearson, David Hirst, Paul Warhurst, Des Walker, Madjid Boughera, Lee Bullen and at a push Glen Whelan

UTO WTID

I would add Mark Smith and John Hickton to the list

What about Tony Coleman, he used to chin a few, and I once saw Willie Henderson chase a right big bugger out of the Park Hotel.

forgot about TC Story has it he missed the team bus to Derby in 69/70 season, so nicked/borrowed Sam Ellis car!!

Think it was the same match he was pissed off with a decision so booted the ball out of the ground @ave it

UTO WTID

Oh to have any of the above back now !

Guest Romish Owl

Remember Ryan Jones going into a 50 - 50 with Vinnie Jones and leving him laid out, not bad for a 19 yr old at the time.

Also Tony Cunningham flattening Mark Lillis's nose with a bute of a elbow at Huddersfield Blood and snot all over his face :laugh:

Dave Cusack

Hugh Dowd

One point to note - "hard man" does not equal "dirty." The word "hard man" refers to someone who will not flinch when faced with a situation where they might get hurt, such as a 50/50 challenge against a psycho-type opponent or flinging their head at a ball in a crowded penalty area risking a boot in the face. These attributes tend to come alongside others including physical and mental toughness that inspire fear and respect in peers. Honesty is also often part of their make up - it is essentially an embodiment of a work ethic. A dirty player on the other hand tends to be a chancer, someone looking to shoot an edge and probably looking to gain an advantage they don't deserve - quite the opposite personality trait in fact.