To Continue on the hard man theme, who have been the hardest over the last 50 years.............who are our hard men from days gone by ?

In order of my recollection Norman Curtis, Tony Kay, David Layne, Don Megson, Gerry Young, Wilf Smith, Vic Mobley, Grahem Pugh, Ian Branfoot, Colin Proffit, Dave Clements, Ken Knighton, Ray Coyle, Rodger Wylde, David Grant, Mick Pickering, Mel Sterland, Mick Lyons, Lawrie Madden, Carlton Palmer, Nigel Pearson, David Hirst, Paul Warhurst, Des Walker, Madjid Boughera, Lee Bullen and at a push Glen Whelan

Have I missed anyone or is there anyone I've included you thing to be a wus ?

UTO WTID

Guest captain_purse

To Continue on the hard man theme, who have been the hardest over the last 50 years.............who are our hard men from days gone by ?

That's easy, Chris Waddle.....

chris_waddle2_470x365.jpg

Graham Pugh was always my childhood favourite.

At the time (1966) wasn't he the youngest ever to play in a Cup Final.

I think so from memory.

Yeah that;s right, he lost the record in the Preston WHU final to Howard Kendall. Tell you a little painfull story about G Pugh when he had the Waggon and Horses. He tore his ring finger off; he had locked himself out and went back in through a sash chord window, all went well forcing the window down until he climbed through. He jumped down but his finger had caught on the frame latch sliding up between finger and ring....

Obviously the finger v 14 st of man had no chance. They stitched it back on though.

In order of my recollection Norman Curtis, Tony Kay, David Layne, Don Megson, Gerry Young, Wilf Smith, Vic Mobley, Grahem Pugh, Ian Branfoot, Colin Proffit, Dave Clements, Ken Knighton, Ray Coyle, Rodger Wylde, David Grant, Mick Pickering, Mel Sterland, Mick Lyons, Lawrie Madden, Carlton Palmer, Nigel Pearson, David Hirst, Paul Warhurst, Des Walker, Madjid Boughera, Lee Bullen and at a push Glen Whelan

Them in bold I wouldn't class as hard men..

Theose before Roger Wylde I don't know about..

I would include :

gary megson, Andy Maculloch, Ronnie Wallwork, Garry Thompson, Andy Pearce, Grahame Hyde

For younger end the first on my list, Norman Curtis, I did n't see play many games; But I did have the pleasure of seeing one of his penalties. I recall my dad saying watch you don't want to miss this..Are you watching Are you watching Are you watching , he would repeat feared that I may miss the sight. It was at the Leppings lane end, he walked towards the kop and kept walking until finally just short of the half way line he turned.

Anyone who has ever seen old film of Fred Trueman comeing in to bowl have the right Idea, a slow turn first of all a walk, then a bigger stride followed by a trot all the time gathering pace until he was full pelt until he reached the penalty area and crash into the roof of the net. Anyone think Kevin Pressman hit his penalties hard should have witnessed those of Norm Curtiss. The goal frame at cross bar level would move a good six inches.

UTO WTID