What's Irvine looking for and what's he seen ?

There's been many rants at the current squad/players on here and with Alan looking to bring in 6 new players to the club before the next home game you have to ask the following questions:

1) What has Alan Irvine seen within his squad to dictate that he needs SIX new players ?

2) Does it show that Irvine's been working with a squad much weaker than he should be and therefore some of the criticism aimed his way shouldn't be ?

3) If fans are being critical of the current players ability does it therefore mean that those particular fans shouldn't really be criticising the manager who has them in his squad ?

4) What positions/players do you think he's looking at strengthening/ replacing ?

Owlstalk Shop

There's been many rants at the current squad/players on here and with Alan looking to bring in 6 new players to the club before the next home game you have to ask the following questions:

1) What has Alan Irvine seen within his squad to dictate that he needs SIX new players ?

2) Does it show that Irvine's been working with a squad much weaker than he should be and therefore some of the criticism aimed his way shouldn't be ?

3) If fans are being critical of the current players ability does it therefore mean that those particular fans shouldn't really be criticising the manager who has them in his squad ?

4) What positions/players do you think he's looking at strengthening/ replacing ?

I think he has decided the players that are out of contract this season aren't good enough. Weaver's contract will be extended and probably Buxton's. Everyone else will be realsed. Potter, JOC, Purse, Miller, Hinds and JJ. This would free up some substantial space in the wage budget.

He signed 8-9 new players in the summer, yet despite it being perfectly obvious that the defence was a major problem he still didn't sign a defender who was good enough to be a first choice selection. Even though the right wing position was the best covered in the team (Johnson, Tudgay, Miller, Teale all capable of playing there) he still signed Sedgewick who isn't good enough for, well, anything really. Why wasn't the defence strengthened until now?

Some may look at the defensive record and say it's pretty good, but this isn't down to the defensive performances, it's the fact that our best player of the season has been the keeper.

Guest Sheff Owl

IMO i think you HAVE to look at Irvine to some extent, i mean in the summer he had the perfect chance to clear some players out well try but all we heard was he wanted to keep all the players that was here after the out of contract players had left, he did not want to lose anyone - which suggests to me he did not even try and get rid of some of them.

He must have known the strengths and weaknesses of our squad and to be honest he must have thought we were very strong because he said he would have been very happy with this squad in the Championship, so now with him needing 6 new players does that mean he has realised that maybe that is not the case?

Don't get me wrong it's not all Irvine - the players have to take a huge look at themselves and think have they actually done all they can in matches? could they have gave more?

I would be very interested to know if he now realises that some of the players from last season maybe should have been moved on?

IMO i think you HAVE to look at Irvine to some extent, i mean in the summer he had the perfect chance to clear some players out well try but all we heard was he wanted to keep all the players that was here after the out of contract players had left, he did not want to lose anyone - which suggests to me he did not even try and get rid of some of them.

You know I'm anti-Irvine mate but I think you're being harsh on him there.

He had to say that he didn't want to lose anyone because he knew he was stuck with them. I mean, who was going to take Potter and JOC off our hands? He had to say he wanted to keep everyone else to keep them happy, was no good saying "I'd like to get rid of some of the ones still in contract but nobody is stupid enough to buy them".

Actually I was discussing this at work yesterday. Somebody said it proved that because he brought nine new players in, in the summer, he obviously doesn't know what he's doing, otherwise he wouldn't be sigining a minimum of six more players in the window.

My response was, all it proves is that in the summer we were subject to a transfer emabargo, which was lifted, very briefly (for about a week I believe), and during that brief period of time Irvine who was under immense pressure because of the time constraints, brought in the best players he could, for no fee, in the few days he had before the embargo was put back in place.

Had he had a few weeks to talk to people and line up his preferred signings, we may have seen different players coming to the club, but he had no time and no money, so probably went for the best he could get given the circumstances.

I've been a major critic of Irvine this season, because I love Wednesday, and want us to do better than we have in the past few years, but when I sit back and look at the situation Irvine and the club were in until Milan took us over, maybe Irvine had actually been doing quite well under difficult circumstances.

This has to be his major chance of getting us up though, and if, come the middle/end of March things haven't improved, I'd think his position would have to be reviewed by Mandaric.

As for players to be replaced, for me, I'd say Spurr, Beevers, Otsemobor, Sedgewick, JJ, Clinton Morrison, and if he's going to refuse to play Heffernan, him as well although I'd like to see him given a chance.

Guest Sheff Owl

He had to say that he didn't want to lose anyone because he knew he was stuck with them. I mean, who was going to take Potter and JOC off our hands? He had to say he wanted to keep everyone else to keep them happy, was no good saying "I'd like to get rid of some of the ones still in contract but nobody is stupid enough to buy them".

I know what you are saying and yes maybe to some extent i agree with you BUT i just think that if he really wanted to get rid they would have been someone surely wanting to take him/them, weather the player would have gone is another matter.

It's like the situation with Marlon King after all he has done/been through etc there is always someone willing to take him.

The thing is i'm not blaming everything on Irvine (like you not a fan of Irvine) the players have to look at themselves, they are not immune.

He signed 8-9 new players in the summer, yet despite it being perfectly obvious that the defence was a major problem he still didn't sign a defender who was good enough to be a first choice selection. Even though the right wing position was the best covered in the team (Johnson, Tudgay, Miller, Teale all capable of playing there) he still signed Sedgewick who isn't good enough for, well, anything really. Why wasn't the defence strengthened until now?

WE HAD NO flipping MONEY HE COULD ONLY SIGN PEOPLE AVAILABLE ON A FREE IF THERE'S NO DEFENDERS AVAILABLE HE CAN'T flipping SIGN THEM FOR FUUUUCK'S SAKE WHY DOES NO-ONE ACKNOWLEDGE THIS

I know what you are saying and yes maybe to some extent i agree with you BUT i just think that if he really wanted to get rid they would have been someone surely wanting to take him/them, weather the player would have gone is another matter.

It's like the situation with Marlon King after all he has done/been through etc there is always someone willing to take him.

The thing is i'm not blaming everything on Irvine (like you not a fan of Irvine) the players have to look at themselves, they are not immune.

Potter and JOC were described as the worst centre midfield pairing of all time live on Sky Sports News, I seriously doubt anyone would have taken them, same goes for our dodgy defence.

Even though his tactics are awful and he shouldn't be constantly pooing himself about the other teams in this division I do think some of our players are poor. For over a year some of them have been making a negative contribution to SWFC in the sense that they bring nothing to the table that helps our cause but do regularly aid the opposition by making mistakes and/or simply not being good enough.

Let's be right, we all like him because he obviously cares, puts 100% in (how depressing is it that at SWFC that isn't a given), gets up and down the wing until his lungs drop out of his arse in order to support our attacks. But fact of the matter is he's been getting consistently skinned by wingers for a long time now and needs to be replaced.

maybe one or two of 'em may put the afterburners on now they're staring down the barrel with their careers...even leon had afterburners when he was near the end of his contract...

Guest Sheff Owl

Potter and JOC were described as the worst centre midfield pairing of all time live on Sky Sports News, I seriously doubt anyone would have taken them, same goes for our dodgy defence.

Even though his tactics are awful and he shouldn't be constantly pooing himself about the other teams in this division I do think some of our players are poor. For over a year some of them have been making a negative contribution to SWFC in the sense that they bring nothing to the table that helps our cause but do regularly aid the opposition by making mistakes and/or simply not being good enough.

Yep Irvine does himself no favours at all - Potter and Joc after last season and he still was picking them while player our best CM's were put out wide.

This is what i have been saying for a while now when people talk about who we need to move on - we can have no sentiment we need to seriously move some of the players on - some have been here a while now and to be honest not really pulled up any trees.

We can't keep carrying players, having players here who can only do it 1 in 7 games, we need players who can give more, we need players who have more of an end product.

Out of the current squad i would personally only keep maybe only 6 or 7 of them (not including new players) the rest can sod off.

We are now at a stage where we can buy players and not have to accept second best, we have accepted it for far too long now is the time to start kicking on and really make a go of getting this club back to the Premiership (Championship first :biggrin: ).

Guest Sheff Owl

We need a new left back, Spurr for me is constantly caught out of position, he stands of the opposition far, far too much and actually allows the crosses to come in - anyone with pace and Spurr is buggered.

Last season i dread to think how many goals we conceded down his side, come to think of it i wonder how many it would be this season.

I'm not even sure saying try him at CB because we are improving that area so i doubt he will get a chance there.

As for Daniel Jones i like him - very attacking and yes he does get caught out of position which let's him down, maybe if he can sort that out he would be ideal..but you can't take away any of that attacking threat - he has a great left foot. (he would be perfect for left wing/midfield.

Not sure if this would have been too attacking but Simek(right) and Jones(left) how good would that have been? not sure Irvine would have fancied it.

1) What has Alan Irvine seen within his squad to dictate that he needs SIX new players ? < I think that Milan has taken the lead on recruitment.

2) Does it show that Irvine's been working with a squad much weaker than he should be and therefore some of the criticism aimed his way shouldn't be ? < We have a good enough squad to be doing better than we have been. Our form has been more akin to that of a mid-table side than one challenging for promotion. Most if not all of our defeats have been fully merited and the standard of performance has been awful bar a couple of games.

3) If fans are being critical of the current players ability does it therefore mean that those particular fans shouldn't really be criticising the manager who has them in his squad ? < No. I don't think that these things are mutually exclusive. Some of the players haven't performed and deservedly get some stick; however, this in part comes down to the manager: A) Why does he keep playing below par players, B) Is he getting the best out of certain players, C) You live and die by your signings, so any that under perform are on your head.

4) What positions/players do you think he's looking at strengthening/ replacing ? < flipping everywhere by the looks of it.

Edited by SiJ

He brought 9 new players in during the summer and got rid of any he could.

He brought Coke in to strenghen midfield but was still stuck with the people on contracts.

He , like most on here I suspect, thought our defence would be good enough for League 1 .

He has a wage budget, he could not just say I know we have to pay people like Potter and JOC but I am going out to get replacements to play instead of them..

He is now , which is the first opportunity he has had, replacing the people who are not good enough.

He will not renew any contracts that are up at the end of the season and will get rid of anybody who was here when he arrived as soon as he can.