Irvine Out

The chairmans hardly going to come out and say:

" This squad is average, we'll probably finish midtable, might be looking over our shoulders, come and get your season tickets, we need to sell 16,500 season tickets to get Wednesday moving forward "

Wednesday's main source of finance is through Season Tickets. Lee Strafford job at the beginning of the season was to try and sell these Season Tickets.

Not his fault result have panned out like they have.

Are you saying that Lee Strafford was not being honest with the supporters?

Isnt the squad pretty much the same as last year where we finished mid table?

AI has done nothing to make me think he will be a success here. Nothing at all. The style of play is shocking, there is no attempt to change anything and the fact he thought a draw yesterday would be a good result says everything. His squad or not i dont see him being here at christmas unless something drastically changes.

Guest Distraught!

I'm not blaming him exclusively. I'd say it's more about people looking to absolve him completely as if he is utterly powerless. Clearly the bulk of culpability lies with the players themselves. But what has Irvine done with them? Underperforming, uncommitted players are being selected regardless of what they do even as players with more talent or more effort (sadly not both together) sit on the bench and watch us sleepwalk to insipid low scoring draws and defeats. He has committed to a style of play that might cut down on goals conceded, but it ensures that the opponent will enjoy the territorial and possession advantage, thus increasing the chances that the pivotal moments in a game will occur at our end of the field. We are not Arsenal circa 1992, we don't have a Paul Merson or Ian Wright at the other end to create or score that vital goal we need to make these tactics work.

And STILL no one has managed to explain away the likes of Shreeves and Yorath taking an arguably worse situation and doing rather better with it.

Aye, absolutely!

I dare say it worked perfectly well in this division at Preston with an in form Nugent waiting for the long clearance but a can't be arsed because I should of gone to Burnley Tudgay, Derby don't want me even when they have five strikers injured Varney or Chuck us another Balti pie Clarke up front, the effect is somewhat different.

Dear me.

I can't catch my breath this morning.

I've read some poo on here in the past, but this morning takes the biscuit.

BTW, I'm not advocating the dismissal of A He should be given one season.

The team is his responsibility and to say he has no accountability because he inherited this team 23 matches ago is a little nonsensical.

Are you saying that Lee Strafford was not being honest with the supporters?

Maybe i am.

But he set a target of Season Tickets to sell in order for us to give Laws a budget to compete with in this league and for us to move forward.

He HAD to bull our chances up to stand any chance of selling season tickets.

Not his fault on the pitch it's been disastrous. He gave Laws an increased budget. Laws spunked it on giving people like Spurr, Tudgay Gray new contracts and signing Purse, Potter and Miller.

Lee Strafford can't control who a managers signs really. All he can do his provide the dough for the manager.

Guest becauseofboxingday

So the best defence for Irvine's performance is that Laws would have done even worse? This is a man who had clearly lost a squad who were sitting back and happily getting rammed on a weekly basis? Hardly an outstanding achievement to do better than that really is it? And even if Laws had stayed, is it even possible to do a great deal worse than 1 win in 11 with your division status on the line?

And the "best" criticism you can come up with is that a different manager in a different season against different teams with a different squad did............. Differently.

bizarrely Jon no we aren't.

Can you believe that mathematically we would have a 40% chance of staying up should Palace fail to beat West Brom?

It's incredible Lee. We've been worse than mediocre for a huge portion of the season, and in numerous recent games, but still we have a chance. I hope if we get the chance we take it.

Guest becauseofboxingday

BTW, I'm not advocating the dismissal of A He should be given one season.

The team is his responsibility and to say he has no accountability because he inherited this team 23 matches ago is a little nonsensical.

I agree. After 23 matches AI will have taken this squad to either 27, 28 or 30 points. How many does he need to get in order that you think he has done a decent job?

I agree. After 23 matches AI will have taken this squad to either 27, 28 or 30 points. How many does he need to get in order that you think he has done a decent job?

So are you saying AI is not accountable?

I deal in numbers when AI was appointed we were 5/2 (29%) to be relegated. We are now 2/5 (71%) to get relegated. He picks the team

flip me - how do you get to sleep at night?

Who should I blame more Strafford or Irvine?

Anti-Wednesday - sad eh?

Guest becauseofboxingday

I deal in numbers when AI was appointed we were 5/2 (29%) to be relegated. We are now 2/5 (71%) to get relegated. He picks the team

I know you deal in numbers OAT.

Here is another one for you. Since he took over Wenesdays quoted spread has increased by 1 point. Basically it is believed he will get 1 point more than believed than when he took over. In recent weeks, the quote for Coventry and Sflaphorpe has dramatically increased and hence why the odds you have quoted have occured. There are certain variables affecting those odds that were beyond AI control.

Guest becauseofboxingday

So are you saying AI is not accountable?

I am saying that if he gets 30 points from 23 ges he has done about as well as we could have realistically hoped for

I am saying that if he gets 30 points from 23 ges he has done about as well as we could have realistically hoped for

4th bottom finish would be more realistic, especially when competing with a club who have had ten points deducted and have sold players and are using youth players.