Scotland call for young Owl

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/Academy/0,,10304~1990058,00.html

Sheffield Wednesday academy product Liam Palmer has been selected to attend a training camp with the Scotland Under-19s.The attacking midfielder has been in excellent form for the Under-18s this season, thus accelerating his progression into reserve team football. Palmer has also featured on the bench under Owls manager Alan Irvine for the first team.The teenager is eligible to play for Scotland through his grandparents on one side of his family.SWFC academy manager Sean McAuley said: "Liam has been selected for a get together with the Scotland Under-19s and it's progression for what he's been doing on the training ground and how he has been playing for the Under-18s and the reserves."The Scottish FA have been aware of his form and called him to the training camp as a result. I have told him to enjoy himself and take the experience as part of his development."The training camp takes place next week and swfc.co.uk will bring you up to date with Palmer's progress.

Good luck to the fella. Great news for him, and hopefully he will make us proud.

The other "home nations" along with Ireland are pursuing an aggressive policy of putting a marker down on youngsters who have eligibility

They are actively scouring our academies for kids they can call up

Can you blame us? We've lost several players through that route in recent years. It's about time we benefitted from something like this.

Wasn't accusing - just stating a fact :cool:

I don't blame any country for looking at eligible players - problem is that the eligibility criteria is getting so loose that countries can nurture a young lad in international football then lose them years down the line

Didn't McGeady play all his schoolboy football for Scotland then switch to ROI for full internationals?

Wasn't accusing - just stating a fact :cool:

I don't blame any country for looking at eligible players - problem is that the eligibility criteria is getting so loose that countries can nurture a young lad in international football then lose them years down the line

Didn't McGeady play all his schoolboy football for Scotland then switch to ROI for full internationals?

:smile: I know you weren't accusing. It still hurts thinking of the players we have lost though.

McGeady played at youth level I know that for a fact.

Good Luck to the young Owl what a feeling it must be to represent your country at a sport.

On the subject of home players being poached I love watching England play as England but still wonder whether we have shot ourselves in the foot not having a UK team. Would all the ''oh so nears' have been realistic World Cup campaigns if the likes of Daglish, Best, and Giggs played for a UK team. Perhaps that may be another thread after another Quarter final exit this summer ( I really hope I am wrong ).