The 1st Kevin Wright Memorial Shield

THE KEVIN WRIGHT MEMORIAL SHIELD

On this summer's pre-season tour of Portugal, Wednesday lost one of its biggest supporters. It was a huge shock when it was announced that Kevin Wright, a lifelong Owl who followed the team home, away and abroad, had died after suffering a heart attack.

The news came as Owlstalkers were planning an 11-a-side game against OwlsOnline, hot on the heels of a couple of successful 6-a-side tournaments (organised by Bez) that had raised a lot of money for the Sheffield Children's Hospital.

It was decided that the 11-a-side game would, with the permission of his family, be played in honour of Kevin, with all proceeds going to the British Heart Foundation.

As we had over 25 players volunteering to take part for Owlstalk, we organised a play-off game between two sides - The Sausage Team and AC Milan Mandaric, with the winner going on to face OwlsOnline in the final.

The first game was played in Kevin's home area, and three of his family were in action for AC Milan Mandaric.

Semi-final

Date - 18th August 2013

Venue - Some pitch in the middle of nowhere off the beaten track in Aston

Kick-off - 12.09ish (when everybody had completed their warm up by walking from the car park to the pitch)

The Sausage Team vs. AC Milan Mandaric

Alteredge  1   Aaron

Lloyd  2  Hawkeye

Euse  3  JungleJay

Chriss  4  JDS12

smhouston  5  Babushka

LawrieMaddensHump  6  RunningOwl

SiJ  7  Big_Malc

Kivo  8  Ryan Wright

cragtheowl  9  Kyle Wright

sharpey  10  Wright brother

tom  11  Hawkeye's mate

GingerMourinho  12  Barcarick

EatMyGOAAAALLLL  13  robswfc

Tom 1  14  Essix Blue

15  Chopper

Referee - dazaston

Each side suffered a late drop-out, Hack-Abusi injured but offering support from the sidelines, and barmyowls1212, who's mrs was on the verge on going into labour.

The two teams assembled were obviously full of players who only knew each others' Owlstalk username, with a real mish-mash in terms of quality, but after a two minute pep talk from the respective teams' captains, we were under way, with a decent crowd looking on.

The first ten minutes were high on energy, but low on quality, as both teams tried to work out their opponents strengths and weaknesses. The first changes came inside the first ten minutes - both teams losing a man to injury.

For The Sausage Team, crag the owl (carrying a strained gut) and Chriss made way for Kivo and SiJ, who spent approximately 12 panicked seconds at centre-back before swapping with his fellow sub to move into midfield.

SiJ's first involvement in the match brought the game's comedy moment, a run down the line somehow resulting in the 6ft 2in winger tripping over the ball and doing a forward flip onto his face.

Playing up hill, The Sausage Team took control of the game, looking solid at the back and creating chances going forward. On 25 minutes (ish), they deservedly took the lead, front man TOM getting on the end of a low cross into the six yard box to make it 1-0.

The rest of the half was scrappy, but The Sausage Team generally looked the better side.

HALF-TIME - The Sausage Team 1-0 AC Milan Mandaric

Kicking downhill The Sausage Team could perhaps have been expected to build on their lead, but AC Milan Mandaric had other ideas, and came out all guns blazing for the second half, going with three strikers, among them the late entrant Essix Blue. They soon started to capitalise on the changes made to The Sausage Team's back line (soothingly-voiced defence usher Lloyd and impressive left-back Rich going off).

AC Milan Mandaric kept The Sausage Team camped in their own half for a fair while, before the pressure finally paid dividends half way through the half, ROBSWFC finishing well on the turn to even the scores.

The remainder of the game was a cagey affair, with neither side wanting to give anything away, and a few players picking up injury. Crag had to be helped off the pitch after a relapse with his gut-strain combined with a nasty fall on his back, and Kivo earning a bust lip and mangled knee after a collision with the hefty shoulder of Essix Blue.

It seemed we were destined for a penalty shoot-out, but with just two minutes left The Sausage Team got a crucial second goal. A left foot 'ave-it' style smash superbly timed cross field pass from Kivo caused mayhem in the AC Milan Mandaric box, and the excellent LAWRIEMADDENSHUMP (who had controlled the midfield in the first half before being man-marked out of the game in the second half) got on the end of a defensive mix-up to seemingly win the game.

Calls for handball were waved away by the man in black, but LMH did sportingly admit to accidentally using his hand in the build-up. Nevertheless, the goal stood, and AC Milan Mandaric had just seconds to get a second equaliser.

From the kick-off they pushed everyone forward before winning a throw-in, which caused chaos in the penalty area (by now full with all 22 players), before being scrambled home past Alteredge to make it 2-2 with the last kick of the game. It was a scruffy goal, but based on their second half showing ACMM had well deserved their equaliser.

FULL-TIME The Sausage Team 2-2 AC Milan Mandaric

As most players were ready for leg and heart transplants, we went straight to a penalty shoot-out to confirm who would proceed to the final.

AC Milan Mandaric had sprightly 16 year old keeper Aaron in goal, while The Sausage Team had 43 year old Alteredge, who walked around with a *** in his hand, between the sticks. But you should never read a book by its cover.

Both sides converted their first penalty, but Aaron got down low to deny smhouston, who had arguably been one of The Sausage Team's better players, to give his sides the advantage.

After Kivo coolly planted his expertly taken penalty down the middle, it was Alteredge's turn to be the keeping hero, saving ACMM's 4th penalty.

Unfortunately, The Sausage Team couldn't get back on level terms when Lloyd hit the bar, leaving a newcomer to send AC Milan Mandaric into the final of the Kevin Wright Memorial Shield.

The Sausage Team 2-2 AC Milan Mandaric

(AC Milan Mandaric won 4-2 on penalties)

Final

Date - 15th September 2013

Venue - Hillsborough Arena

Kick-off - 12.00

OwlsOnline vs. AC Milan Mandaric

Faktor  1  Aaron

Tickmcrick  2  JungleJay

Owl73  3  JDS12

NSMjr1 4  RunningOwl

NSMjr2  5  Big_Malc

Stickvis  6  Ryan Wright

Raynaldo  7  Kyle Wright

Maikel  8  trevdi9

Superfreak  9  barmyowls1212

DiCanioOwl 10  Hack_Abusi

Kivo  11  robswfc

smhouston  12  Essix Blue

bebby  13  Chopper

Referee - dazaston

Back-up players were needed to take part in the final of the inaugural Kevin Wright Memorial Shield final. Semi-final losers Kivo and smhouston were drafted in to play for OwlsOnline, with new addition bebby making the numbers equal by also pulling on the blue and white.

The game had only been under way five minutes when OwlsOnline took the lead. Stickvis, a Netherlands based Owl, burst down the right wing to cut back for KIVO, who slid the ball beneath the ACMM keeper to open the scoring. ACMM were relying on long distance efforts to get back into the game - young Chopper, who had been a late entry in the semi-final, firing over time and time again. Often he was supplied from though balls by Hack_Abusi, whose cultured left foot was causing problems.

For OwlsOnline, the centre half pairing was coping well with anything that came their way, and bebby and smhouston were proving key utility players, performing admirably wherever they were placed on the pitch.

But ten minutes before the break ACMM's pressure paid off - a corner from the right wasn't dealt with, and CHOPPER turned well to fire home and level the scores.

HALF-TIME - OwlsOnline 1-1 AC Milan Mandaric

At half-time the oldest man in the tournament, trevdi9, made his way onto the pitch, linking up play well before finally retiring after a good half an hours play under his belt. His strike partner was Essix_Blue, another player with age against him who nonetheless caused problems in the OwlsOnline defence.

OwlsOnline made a change of their own at half-time, keeper Steven swapping players with Netherlands based Owls fan Maikel, another of the Dutch Owls who had only arrived in the city in the early hours of the morning. The former keeper Steven had a great battle with his opponent at right back, JDS12, who was braving a neat looking scar after having seven stitches in a facial wound earlier in the week.

The next goal came from DICANIOOWL, who glanced home a wonderful header from a corner to put OwlsOnline in front yet again. In their attempt to get back into the game ACMM pushed further forward, leaving spaces at the back, and ultimately the risk failed to work. Just minutes after scoring their second, OwlsOnline went further in front, Stickvis and KIVO again linking up well on the right, with the latter turning in his second of the game in almost identical fashion to the first goal of the afternoon.

Again ACMM pushed forward, but again OwlsOnline were ready to exploit the spaces they had left behind. Steven on the left was given the space to move forward at will, and eventually his team put themselves three up, DICANIOOWL completing his own brace after a mix-up by ACMM keeper Aaron, who had played so well until then.

It seemed the game was up, but ACMM were not finished, and with ten minutes remaining they reduced the arrears - a speculative right wing effort by CHOPPER deceived Maikel in the OwlsOnline goal and finding its way into the net.

Milan pushed forward in search of setting up a grandstand finish, Big_Malc and Ryan Wright driving their team forward in the middle, but ultimately time wasn't on their side, and dazaston brought a thoroughly entertaining game, and tournament, to a close.

OwlsOnline 4-2 AC Milan Mandaric

The presentation took place outside the bar after the game, with one of Kevin's sons giving a superb speech before awarding the shield to winning captain Raynaldo.

rv42.jpg

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we had a fantastic time - at both games - and hopefully all will be logging back in next year to register their interest in competing in the second edition of a tournament that has raised funds for a fantastic charity.

c7mx.jpg

Onto the amount raised for the British Heart Foundation. The following is a record of all incoming/outgoing payments made throughout the tournament (let me know if you spot a mistake so I can rectify it - I will be making the payment [and posting the receipt] tomorrow when my bank account has withdrawn the PayPal payments/cashed in OwlsOnline's and latecomers payments) -

INCOMING

SEMI-FINAL PLAYING FEES (£5 each)

Euse, RunningOwl, Hawkeye, JungleyJay, Crag the Owl, smhouston, dazaston (referee),  Aaron, JDS12, Kivo, Alteredge, barmyowls1212 (didn’t play), SiJ, Lloydswfc, lawriemaddenshump, babushka, Big Malc, chriss , tom, sharpey, EatMyGoal, GingerMourinho, hack-abusi (didn’t play), Tom1, Ryan Wright, Kyle Wright, Wright 3, Hawkeye's mate, barcarick, essix blue, Chopper, robswfc

Totals - £160

FINAL PLAYING FEES (£10 each)

essix blue, Aaron, JungleJay, JDS12, Big Malc, Ryan Wright, Kyle Wright, barmyowls1212, Hack_Abusi, robswfc, Chopper, Trevdi9 (courtesy of metaframe), runningowl, smhouston, Kivo, Bebby, Owlsonline players (x10), Dazaston (referee)

Totals - £270

OTHER DONATIONS

Wednesdayite – £24 for shield (still owed), Essix blue - £10, Dazaston - £14, Kivo’s dad - £10

Totals - £58

OUTGOING

Final pitch hire - £70

Totals - £70

TOTAL IN - £488

TOTAL OUT - £70

DONATION TO THE BRITISH HEART FOUNDATION –

£418

That figure well out-strips the amount we had in mind - nothing but praise to all involved - see you all next year!

Edited by KivoOwl

great post kivo and well worth the effort put in by all who turned out mate , would love to give it a shot next year but sadly my games are over , but will if it comes off try and get to support the teams on the day ,

And finally thank you all for letting me play football with fellow owls what a great way to end my career in the game ,

Do you reckon the club would put the picture in the next programme for free?

It's normally £20 to put a picture in.

costs nothing to ask mate if not sure we'd chip in or Wednesdayite might save the day

Guest GreenGoose

Can't believe Owlstalk didn't win. 

Absolutely fuming. 

:tango:

Quality work in all seriousness guys, if it's a yearly thing then I'd deffo be up for it if a Glenn Whelan type player is required  :ph34r:

you can take my place green goose ,it's not hard cause they don't pass to you , :tango:

seriously though everyone gave their all can't fault em

Even (cragowl I think)struggled down to support while being on crutches ( good on you mate)

That was Ryan Wright's oldest brother - got injured in the first game and is still on crutches.

Still came down to watch and did the presentation.

Do you reckon the club would put the picture in the next programme for free?

It's normally £20 to put a picture in.

Ask Deejayone ( @deejayone on twitter ) he may be able to help.

Great effort everyone, terrific amount raised for a cause close to me - my dad died of heart failure 2 years ago and I've raised money in the past for BHF

Roll on next year

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Great effort everyone, terrific amount raised for a cause close to me - my dad died of heart failure 2 years ago and I've raised money in the past for BHF

Roll on next year

We will won

Roll on next year

We will win next year too pal...that was only half our squad ;)

you can take my place green goose ,it's not hard cause they don't pass to you , :tango:

seriously though everyone gave their all can't fault em

Even (cragowl I think)struggled down to support while being on crutches ( good on you mate)

Sorry pal that wasn't me. I was incapable of moving, Saturday! (Alcohol abuse)