Karen carney

Luke

I don’t mind some of the female pundits, but I really can’t get on with female lead commentators on football. It’s something to do with their voice being too high - I dunno, just grates me gears. 

As for women’s footy, I’ve little interest. Similar to men’s rugby - I’ll watch the crucial international games but I’ve no interest in the league. Don’t think I’d be any different if Wednesday had a decent ladies team, footy at that level isn’t appealing as TV viewing. 

• Like 2

On 24/08/2023 at 20:32, morganowl said:

for instance when a premier league game is on i want ex or current players/managers who have played or managed at that level . if i watch a championship game i dont want a premier league person i want someone with the experience of either playing or managing , same in league 1 and so on.  the same regards the world world cup you want ex women players or managers to give there incite as pundits not an ex male footballer etc . i hope that has clarified things for you.. and i have discussions about football with quite a few woman i know , im not sexist and would like more woman to attend our games . 

same with womens football.  there should be no male coaches/trainers/pundits etc.  

i don't want to have a woman behind a bar serving me beer in a pub either, beer is for men, cocktails are for lasses, they should get back in the snug where they belong.

and don't get me started on women politicians.  it's not right a lass telling a bloke what he can and can't do.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2023 at 17:43, Big Malc said:

That’s exactly why the US women’s team want parity - they bring in just as much revenue as the men as they have traditionally had larger tv audiences

i don't see why men and women at international level can't have parity, they are both representing their countries on a global stage.

club wages are different, they are set by market forces.  while i believe extra should be available to help grow the womens game, (especially after the FA halted womens football in its tracks as they were scared of the competition) it needs to be in a proportiante and intelligent way to reduce the possibility of boom and bust.

19 hours ago, duncanidaho said:

i don't see why men and women at international level can't have parity, they are both representing their countries on a global stage.

club wages are different, they are set by market forces.  while i believe extra should be available to help grow the womens game, (especially after the FA halted womens football in its tracks as they were scared of the competition) it needs to be in a proportiante and intelligent way to reduce the possibility of boom and bust.

Money shouldn't be involved at international football level 

The pride of playing for your country should be all the incentive you need...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the popularity of women's football - it is clearly getting more popular, and I think it will get more popular still. For example, when I was at school no-one talked or mentioned it. Recently I watched a game with colleagues and their teenage kids seemed just as excited about the women's Euros / World Cup as they would have been about the mens.

It will never be as popular as mens football I think, but I could see a situation like tennis where it gets 50% as much attention (rather than the 10% at the moment).

On revenue sharing - it is slightly depressing that Karen Carney seems to think earning tens of millions like the men do is a god-given right. The amount mens footballers earn are obscene, but they sell the tickets / satellite TV packages / £90 shirts, so they 'earn' it in a way that I'd rather that money goes to the players than the Board of Directors put it in their bank accounts. The women's footballers only earn this to about 1% of the same degree, little sponsorship, few shirt sales, few people buying TV packages based on who is covering WSL. But step outside the football bubble and there are thousands and thousands of dedicated sportsmen and women who just earn a relatively normal wage. I.e the average country cricketer, hockey player or most of the Olympians won't be millionaires. Why does she think women footballers should be given money that all these dedicated athletes don't get and that they haven't earned based on any commercial basis? The fact they can earn a decent wage playing professional sport is an honour in itself.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

On the popularity of women's football - it is clearly getting more popular, and I think it will get more popular still. For example, when I was at school no-one talked or mentioned it. Recently I watched a game with colleagues and their teenage kids seemed just as excited about the women's Euros / World Cup as they would have been about the mens.

It will never be as popular as mens football I think, but I could see a situation like tennis where it gets 50% as much attention (rather than the 10% at the moment).

On revenue sharing - it is slightly depressing that Karen Carney seems to think earning tens of millions like the men do is a god-given right. The amount mens footballers earn are obscene, but they sell the tickets / satellite TV packages / £90 shirts, so they 'earn' it in a way that I'd rather that money goes to the players than the Board of Directors put it in their bank accounts. The women's footballers only earn this to about 1% of the same degree, little sponsorship, few shirt sales, few people buying TV packages based on who is covering WSL. But step outside the football bubble and there are thousands and thousands of dedicated sportsmen and women who just earn a relatively normal wage. I.e the average country cricketer, hockey player or most of the Olympians won't be millionaires. Why does she think women footballers should be given money that all these dedicated athletes don't get and that they haven't earned based on any commercial basis? The fact they can earn a decent wage playing professional sport is an honour in itself.

I play this game and these other people play the same game so I should get the same. I don’t think she’s thought any more deeply than that

13 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Around 1.5 billion people watched the men's 2022 world cup final 

14 million watched the woman's cup final 

10% is way off 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Around 1.5 billion people watched the men's 2022 world cup final 

14 million watched the woman's cup final 

10% is way off 

14.4 million people watched the women's world cup final in the UK

19.2 million watched the last men's world cup final in the UK.

FIFA always make ludicrous claims about how many people watch the World Cup. They claim 1.5 billion watched the mens final. They also claim:

* Television figures are set to break previous records at the Women's World Cup. In 2019, 1.12 billion people tuned in globally to watch the tournament according to a FIFA survey.

* For the 2023 edition, FIFA chief women's football officer Sarai Brennan said before the tournament kicked off that it expected to reach an audience of over 2 billion viewers.

These figures are made up and it is highly likely that there has never been more than 1 billion people watching any particular football match at any one time.

Even in a football mad country like the UK, in the last 40 years we've never got more than 25.2 million watching a single game (1990 World Cup semi-final was the highest). That's 44% of the population for a game England were directly playing in.

There are less than 8 billion people in the world. Around 3.5 billion are in the top 5 most populated countries in the world - China, India, the US, Indonesia, Pakistan - football isn't particularly popular in any of these countries. Taking the other 4.4 billion or so you have plenty who don't even have access to a TV, never mind the fact the majority just don't like football.

I mean even if the number is 'only' 500 million, that is still a massive number, but FIFA and other bodies constantly inflate numbers to try and attract more publicity/sponsorship.