How things have changed

Guest Garryswfcowl72

23 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Honestly, if we started modeling our self on how Southampton recovered from League 1 to where they are now I would be delighted with that.

Their scouting is top rate, the way the club is run is a benchmark for others that are not bankrolled by an entire country.

very much agree with all that. That said, it's not as good for them, and won't ever be, as when in the late 70s/early 80s they were one of the best teams in the country and credible title contenders. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, leftpeg said:

Honestly, if we started modeling our self on how Southampton recovered from League 1 to where they are now I would be delighted with that.

Their scouting is top rate, the way the club is run is a benchmark for others that are not bankrolled by an entire country.

They have the best catchment area of any club in the english leagues, they also have some very good coaches, not just lots of ex players like we do.

We have some very good kids too, but as been shown for the last 30+ years no one good enough on the coaching side to convert a talent kid into a first team regular.

we could have produce Owen, Rooney and Beckham in our youth team and would have released them all because we are clueless on developing youth players after they get to 18. Season after season the same outcome.

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, alanharper said:

We weren't the favourites, nobody other than the OP said we were, in the article posted Francis rightly says that we'd be making signings with a view to challenging. 

Strange reply.

Think the 93/94 season was a bit of a levelling off after the success of the early 90s.

Not a bad season but after the previous year unless we won a trophy was always going to be an anti climax.

The success of the early 90s was built on back of some fairly experienced players that was never going to last forever and players bought in to replace them were never as good.

To be honest I can’t quite believe that it was only the 17/18 season that we were actual favourites to get promoted back to the Prem. The speed at which the wheels fell off after that optimistic time is even more frightening…

Were things really better when we were challenging the top of the league, challenging for trophies, playing in Europe etc?

I prefer things now where I get  a real sense of real grassroots football..

• Haha 1