The passion and effort...

... was there for all to see on Saturday.

It must be frustrating and difficult to keep plugging away when things don't go your way but after the goal everyone was chasing down loose balls, getting behind the ball, blocking shots.

Hopefully the goal and win will help spark their confidence after they worked so hard to protect it and they can show enough until TP gets to work with them a little more or manages to bolster the squad...

• Like 3

To be honest, I think we've showed decent effort and work-rate in most of our matches so far this season. It's mostly a lack of quality which has seen us come up short.

However, it's those notable exceptions such as the Luton, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Barnsley, and Forest games which really rankle.

Saturday's game was back to how things should be, but we need to make sure we maintain this now, rather than it being yet another false dawn.

We simply can't afford to p*ss games up the wall as we already have on too many occasions this season.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

To be honest, I think we've showed decent effort and work-rate in most of our matches so far this season. It's mostly a lack of quality which has seen us come up short.

However, it's those notable exceptions such as the Luton, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Barnsley, and Forest games which really rankle.

Saturday's game was back to how things should be, but we need to make sure we maintain this now, rather than it being yet another false dawn.

We simply can't afford to p*ss games up the wall as we already have on too many occasions this season.

The problem I have is that’s an awful lot of ‘exceptions’.  I’m going to put the last 3 down to players not being paid in full (still no excuse in my book) and hope for better from now on.  My glass is very definitely half empty at the moment, was good to see more effort against Coventry but quality was way below the level needed to stay up.  This is compounded by the fact that my expectations of the January transfer window are low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Down South said:

The problem I have is that’s an awful lot of ‘exceptions’.  I’m going to put the last 3 down to players not being paid in full (still no excuse in my book) and hope for better from now on.  My glass is very definitely half empty at the moment, was good to see more effort against Coventry but quality was way below the level needed to stay up.  This is compounded by the fact that my expectations of the January transfer window are low.

It is a lot, yes. Far too many after 20 games of the season, especially for a club in our predicament and with our squad.

That's my point, though: we've shown decent effort and work-rate in most of our games, and then gone on runs of god-awful form and performances like those I mentioned above. 

Like you, my expectation levels are low based on what we've seen so far.

• Like 1

Dunkley was celebrating at the end (of the Coventry game) like he'd just won the cup. I must admit I didn't think we'd see him this calendar year - maybe not until Feb/March - but with Iorfa out he's certainly helping to fill that void and he's constantly talking throughout the game. He must come off the field with a sore throat. Good to see and I hope it continues.

Add Lees, Shaw, Bannan, Reach and Pelupessy to that list and although he didn't have a great game last time out, Windass is always a willing runner. When Rhodes came on he put himself about more than I've seen him do for some time.

• Like 1