BREAKING - EFL STATEMENT

13 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I'm in the season should be delayed camp, even if it causes probs for next season.

But if the season does get started soon, behind closed doors, then any player 'at risk' asthma etc should not go back to work yet which is the same advice for all industries.

It's just tough luck for the player (assuming he wanted to play) and the manager picking the team...he's out injured.

So for me that particular concern is not justified.

yes I agree with that going forward ,its going to have to be risk assessed but this is where we need people to be honest about the reasons they cant work but this could and will be massively abused unfortunately the same as why hardly anyone extra has gone back to work last Monday as a lot are getting paid to do nothing and I doubt many shops will reopen at beginning of june too especially the independent shops were opening might and probably will cost them more than keeping closed. 

16 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I'm in the season should be delayed camp, even if it causes probs for next season.

But if the season does get started soon, behind closed doors, then any player 'at risk' asthma etc should not go back to work yet which is the same advice for all industries.

It's just tough luck for the player (assuming he wanted to play) and the manager picking the team...he's out injured.

So for me that particular concern is not justified.

Agree with this, we had the season recently where 14 players were injured and couldn’t play. There will always be an asterisk next to the 2020 season due to Covid-19, so however it is settled will be unfair on someone. I think people in football really need to accept that sense needs to win the day here. It’s a sh*t situation but particularly for people losing loved ones. The fact that Peterborough will have to try again for promotion next season really shouldn’t be a big deal. 

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

I guess because they’ve played so many games - it’s not like WW2 where they’d only played 3. I can see merit in every version of sorting the season - playing to a conclusion probably less than any other to be honest.

I just think it’s a nightmare decision for everyone - not just football. It looks like my industry is about to start going back - a long protocol document was sent out yesterday from one of the firms I work for.

Most of the non-playing staff at football, given the pressures on the PL, will probably be safer than the rest of us when we go back to normal work. Whether it’s safe to actually play of course is another matter. 

I’m just not in the football is uniquely evil, I’m done with it camp. I’m actually looking forward to watching Dortmund later - partly out of curiosity. I dislike a lot about modern football but I can also see what a horrendous decision they have to make. 

Some teams spent heavily in January in order to improve their league position, others sold and have been dropping like a stone as a result.

Man Utd in in fine form and would expect to improve their position if they were to conclude and spent in order to do so.

Hull sold their two best players and were in just about the worst form in the country in 2020 - yes even worse than us! They are 2 points ahead of Charlton who are in the last relegation place. PPG would relegate Charlton with 20% of the season still to play. Their next game this season is scheduled to be against Hull. Sure they would like to resume and see how it goes at some point, possibly win that game and then their view on PPG might change with 8 games remaining!

Finish the league when it is safe to do so or void because PPG is not a simple solution that fits all divisions and all circumstances. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

We need to complete the season in case we get a 10 point deduction

As it stands with points per game if we got a 10 point deduction we would be relegated

If we completed the season evidence this year suggests our PPG would get worse and we would end up closer to the bottom 3 than we currently are! 

If the EFL were to place us in the bottom 3 with a points deduction 3 or 4 months after the last game of the season with still 9 games to play I think we would have words.

56 minutes ago, Lomas613 said:

This shows the divide in priority down the leagues this does.

Think about it. For the championship the financial gain for promotion is huge so that alone creates a battle of who's fair for promotion then the cost of relegation is bad for those involved in that so again no one wants to lose out on money money money.

League one the top few teams will gain a significant amount of money if promoted again they won't want it to be decided by computer. They want to carry on because again money money money.

Relegation from league one isn't as costly thats why alot of teams in that division are then putting health as priority 

League 2 both promotion and relegation isn't as bad as above so they are putting health first with the conclusion of season hoping to then recoupe some money if possible. 

This shows alone how money does the talking and at a time like this I think is abit pathetic. 

Draw a line on the season forget 2020 ever happened and conclusion of this season takes place next year as of the week it paused this year. So if we stopped in March this year restart and finish season as of march next year. Gives time for the covid-19 to clear more. And those players out of contract automatically get a year extension but for the time from now till then clubs don't pay them the efl government does. Etc those out of contract of course. Not those in contract they run as normal 

Even in League 2 the decision may be based on money as much as health. They are asking for no relegation from the division and as many clubs have furloughed players it is more financially viable for them not to resume as it would be to restart soon and have to take the players out of furlough and pay them without any new income for the clubs.

1 hour ago, deaks1984 said:

@rickygoo

By definition it is treating all teams the same.

You've all played games. They all count for nothing. Start again.

It's just hard feelings for the teams that had done well or lucky feeling for those who were in a dog fight.

Leeds cannot categorically say they would get promoted. Just as teams at the bottom would argue they might not have been relegated.

Couple of examples

In February of 1998 some bookmakers were paying out on all bets for United to win the title, with Sir Alex Ferguson’s men 11 points clear of Arsenal at the top of the table.

By March that gap had extended to 12 points, though the Gunners did have three games in hand and also had to visit Old Trafford.

Arsenal put together a run of 10 consecutive victories, including a 1-0 win at Old Trafford, to snatch the title from the grasps of the Red Devils by a solitary point.

In 95/96 With 15 matches remaining, Kevin Keegan’s entertainers led Manchester United by 17 points as their cavalier approach appeared set to be rewarded with the championship.

Between February 21 and April 8, Newcastle lost five of their eight Premier League fixtures, including a 1-0 defeat to a United side inspired by the return of Eric Cantona.This would be the season which cemented Fergie’s status as a master of mind games.

So had this happened in 1998 Manchester United would have been crowned champions, when actually they fell at the final hurdle and Arsenal were crowned.

Or in 1996 Newcastle would have been gifted a title yet had the season finished the reality would have been Manchester United won the league.

You’re telling me something I already know.

Nothing is fair - but to pretend voiding the season is as “fair” to Leeds as it is to Barnsley is a nonsense. And likewise saying PPG is as fair to Charlton as it is to West Brom.  Given it involves games played over a substantial chunk of the season I think PPG is best but I can fully understand why you think otherwise. There is no one size fits all solution.

Finishing the season in that context is the fairest but least safe - though the Bundesliga is on the verge now and looks very weird. 

To put it short 

'it's all about money and we don't care whose health suffers' 

Football is the scum of humanity 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

You’re telling me something I already know.

Nothing is fair - but to pretend voiding the season is as “fair” to Leeds as it is to Barnsley is a nonsense. And likewise saying PPG is as fair to Charlton as it is to West Brom.  Given it involves games played over a substantial chunk of the season I think PPG is best but I can fully understand why you think otherwise. There is no one size fits all solution.

Finishing the season in that context is the fairest but least safe - though the Bundesliga is on the verge now and looks very weird. 

Just now, WelshOwl74 said:

To put it short 

'it's all about money and we don't care whose health suffers' 

Football is the scum of humanity 

Bit harsh.

Given your feelings I presume when it comes back you’ll be turning your attentions to netball or something. 

Guest Mcguigan
2 hours ago, the third man said:

You said tests are available for key workers so we can test footballers every two days

until care staff can have the same treatment then footballers shouldn't get it either

Can you quote me where I said that?

I suspect another case of folks reading what they want hear.

I said tests are available for anyone who needs one and that footballers getting tested does not interfere with that, which it doesn’t.

As I said, find me the quote.

I don’t understand your argument here Ricky.

Your arguing that playing sports in one paragraph is dangerous and shouldn’t be done, yet arguing here that voiding the season is unfair. 

Basically no options are the way forward as you have argued against any and all propositions as far as I can work out.  

5 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Can you quote me where I said that?

I suspect another case of folks reading what they want hear.

I said tests are available for anyone who needs one and that footballers getting tested does not interfere with that, which it doesn’t.

As I said, find me the quote.

If available for those who want one why havent the all key workers been tested then. Im pretty sure they all want one.

Just now, FroggattOwls said:

I don’t understand your argument here Ricky.

Your arguing that playing sports in one paragraph is dangerous and shouldn’t be done, yet arguing here that voiding the season is unfair. 

Basically no options are the way forward as you have argued against any and all propositions as far as I can work out.  

There’s no inconsistency in that - I genuinely think every course of action is a bit rubbish.

Playing may be “safe” in the context of how we are all going to have to live our lives and earn our livings in future  - it will take a better scientific mind than me to decide that. And the timing of the return matters - they can’t wait too long.  

Voiding the season is “unfair” to teams who have been doing well and stand a chance of achieving something.  PPG is unfair to teams who have a chance of achieving something or who are in relegation positions. 

But they have have to pick one of the three. I personally would go for PPG but can see why other people would disagree. 

1 hour ago, handworth52 said:

firefighters risk there lives putting fires out ,nhs staff on the front line all for a few hundred a week , what risk is troy deeney going to be at? does he have a very high risk family member in his household? if yes then fair enough if not then id have no problem not paying him while he don't feel comfortable about not playing. that should apply to every player if there not comfortable playing then give them unpaid leave . they getting upwards of 300grand a week for doing nothing? I believe its upto £500 a week for self employed 

So because troy deeney is paid more, his level of acceptable risk should be lower than those who earn less?

9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

If available for those who want one why havent the all key workers been tested then. Im pretty sure they all want one.

And do they all get access to one every two days while they are working in such an environment when it is purported that the footballers will be afforded this?

11 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

There’s no inconsistency in that - I genuinely think every course of action is a bit rubbish.

Playing may be “safe” in the context of how we are all going to have to live our lives and earn our livings in future  - it will take a better scientific mind than me to decide that. And the timing of the return matters - they can’t wait too long.  

Voiding the season is “unfair” to teams who have been doing well and stand a chance of achieving something.  PPG is unfair to teams who have a chance of achieving something or who are in relegation positions. 

But they have have to pick one of the three. I personally would go for PPG but can see why other people would disagree. 

Why?

Guest Mcguigan
9 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I’ve no idea why all key workers haven’t been tested, maybe they aren’t showing symptoms and don’t feel it necessary.

My wife and daughter are key workers, neither have been tested. My son in law’s a key worker who felt a bit off colour last week, applied for a test at the drive through. He was tested the same day he applied and a negative result came back 72 hours later.

He said he could take his pick of test centres in the Bradford area and all had plenty of half hour time slots available. Like I said running at 30-40% capacity.

Whatever solution is proposed it won’t never fair on some clubs. Even if the season were played out from June it would be nothing like the original competition - three month gap, players now fit and rested, players with contracts expiring 30 June etc etc.

Therefore only option is to void the season - no one has yet won promotion or got relegated and so no one has had anything taken away from them.

4 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Therefore only option is to void the season

Clearly the Bundesliga, the FA, the EFL, the Premier League, Serie A, La Liga, Ligue 1, the British and German Governments and the Belgian League to name a few disagree so it isn’t the only option. You may think it’s the correct one which is a different matter.