Moral Vacuum

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Answer me this simple question..

If Steven Fletcher and Barry Bannan and the entire first team squad went to Chansiri and said "Right then Chairman, We're going to defer our wages for three months and not get that money until three months time"

WHO BENEFITS FROM THIS?

The club and players reputations would be seen in a positive light.

Accross our nation we are hearing about acts of kindness, charity and goodwill to fellow man, it would be nice to hear good things being said about the football community.

Like the Murphy bros story a few weeks back.

Deferring wages isn’t the solution, but a bit more good  PR wouldn’t go amiss.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The club and players reputations would be seen in a positive light.

Accross our nation we are hearing about acts of kindness, charity and goodwill to fellow man, it would be nice to hear good things being said about the football community.

Like the Murphy bros story a few weeks back.

Deferring wages isn’t the solution, but a bit more good  PR wouldn’t go amiss.

I've seen players doing their stuff in the community during this lockdown 

SWFC have published news of our players doing some great things within their communities.

Just saying 'we will save our wages for three months and get it then' means nothing in reality. It's not a sacrifice, it's not making anyone better off, it's not even that worthwhile if you think about it.

If the general public thinks that Adthe Nuhiu and his team mates saying to Chansiri "Save us our wages up Chairman and give it to us in three months time" makes them better soldiers of the fight against Covid 19 then I'd be asking questions about the public's logic and mentality

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But the other staff would remain furloughed and the players would get their deffered wages in one huge lump sum anyway after the three months is up.

So who benefits really?

The idea is that it means staff wouldn't have to be furloughed. The club isn't taking in any cash at the moment.

Just now, ruusowl said:

The idea is that it means staff wouldn't have to be furloughed. The club isn't taking in any cash at the moment.

Doesn't work like that though

If the players wages weren't getting paid at all (e.g not one penny) then the club is still lossmaking so the staff would definitely have to be furloughed still.

See what I mean?

When you strip it all down this call for footballers to defer their wages for a bit is a nonsense.

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Because I cannot understand the logic

Someone sat in their house in Sheffield, isolating during Covid 19 outbreak, decides to point their frustrations at footballers simply because they earn more money than most do.

It defies logic.

What benefit would you see from all our players forfeiting their wages?

None. 

None at all.

So why even think about footballers and how much money they earn?

What about the highly paid bankers who crashed the economy yet still earn eye watering amounts?

Why not target the bankers?

What about the huge bonuses paid to company CEO's whilst they pay people minimum wage or worse?

Why not target those CEO's?

What about the companies like Amazon, Facebook, Starbucks etc who don't pay tax in this country despite making staggering amounts of money from the Uk?

If those companies paid their fair share of tax then this country would be LOADED

Why not focus on those companies? 

The amount you could bring in from those companies just paying their taxes would make footballers wages look like spare change in your pocket.

That's why I can't understand someone sat at home deciding to target footballers and suggesting that somehow giving up their wages would make anything any better.

Makes zero sense to me.

Rubbish. What defies logic is the size of the salaries footballers earn. When you see some of the money being paid to absolute toe-rags it’s enough to make you sick. Football is poisoned and bankrupt as a sport

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Doesn't work like that though

If the players wages weren't getting paid at all (e.g not one penny) then the club is still lossmaking so the staff would definitely have to be furloughed still.

See what I mean?

When you strip it all down this call for footballers to defer their wages for a bit is a nonsense.

I'm pretty sure it works like that because that's what most are doing (or will do at some point). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/premier-league-players-wage-deferrals-coronavirus

Just now, Stripes or die said:

Rubbish. What defies logic is the size of the salaries footballers earn. When you see some of the money being paid to absolute toe-rags it’s enough to make you sick. Football is poisoned and bankrupt as a sport

So you basically just throw away every single point I've made and rant 'footballers get paid too much'

As football fans we have Sky Sports and contribute to the growth of the sport. 

How many football fans have said 'right sod it. I"m not going to do this anymore and I'm not going to play my part in the greed of this football business anymore' and cancelled their Sky Sports packages?

Ps - how much do F1 drivers and World Champion Boxers earn out of interest?

Sport = MONEY led now, and it seems too far gone to pull it back.

Ranting about how much footballers earn seems like peeing in the wind to me.

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've seen players doing their stuff in the community during this lockdown 

SWFC have published news of our players doing some great things within their communities.

Just saying 'we will save our wages for three months and get it then' means nothing in reality. It's not a sacrifice, it's not making anyone better off, it's not even that worthwhile if you think about it.

If the general public thinks that Adthe Nuhiu and his team mates saying to Chansiri "Save us our wages up Chairman and give it to us in three months time" makes them better soldiers of the fight against Covid 19 then I'd be asking questions about the public's logic and mentality

Missed my point completely.

Just now, ruusowl said:

I'm pretty sure it works like that because that's what most are doing (or will do at some point). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/26/premier-league-players-wage-deferrals-coronavirus

That's just saying save up the players wages in the bank and give it to them in three months time in one big lump sum.

That helps cashflow

Doesn't mean all the furloughed staff will be brought back to work.

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Missed my point completely.

You were talking about positive PR

So I gave you some.

Positive PR stories coming out of Sheffield Wednesday about the good work our players have been doing recently.

Sure that was your point? Sorry if I missed a glaring one here

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

That's just saying save up the players wages in the bank and give it to them in three months time in one big lump sum.

That helps cashflow

Doesn't mean all the furloughed staff will be brought back to work.

Well it's both, literally says Leeds players have deferred salaries to ensure non playing staff can continue to be paid.

Most clubs aren't furloughing non playing staff as far as I'm aware.

Just now, ruusowl said:

Well it's both, literally says Leeds players have deferred salaries to ensure non playing staff can continue to be paid.

Got ya

Absolutely mindblowing the state football has got itself into isn't it?

What a mess

And the industry says to clubs 'you're only allowed to lose £30 million pounds' and we get angrymad at that.

Shows how conditioned we have become as football fans to the absolute lunacy of it all 

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You were talking about positive PR

So I gave you some.

Positive PR stories coming out of Sheffield Wednesday about the good work our players have been doing recently.

Sure that was your point? Sorry if I missed a glaring one here

lol

I agreed with you about deferral is of no benefit.

If your the news source of good deeds then it can’t be big news and therefore where’s the good PR - no disrespect intended.

Questioning the sanity of the public is up to you.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Got ya

Absolutely mindblowing the state football has got itself into isn't it?

What a mess

And the industry says to clubs 'you're only allowed to lose £30 million pounds' and we get angrymad at that.

Shows how conditioned we have become as football fans to the absolute lunacy of it all 

Completely agree.

And I agree at not pointing the finger at the players, clubs just need to get their wage budgets in order and adjust their transfer budgets.

8 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens now the academy system has basically been poo down until further notice

Will clubs still want to keep paying academy staff and players even though there is no prospect of them returning any time soon?

*rhetorical

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I agreed with you about deferral is of no benefit.

If your the news source of good deeds then it can’t be big news and therefore where’s the good PR - no disrespect intended.

Questioning the sanity of the public is up to you.

I was meaning stuff like this really..

For example - How many of those moaning about footballers have volunteered to go get prescriptions for vulnerable people?

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, scram said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens now the academy system has basically been poo down until further notice

Will clubs still want to keep paying academy staff and players even though there is no prospect of them returning any time soon?

*rhetorical

I'm sure they will want to keep paying them and keep them on, and the furlough scheme should cover up to £2500 of each persons wages I guess?

There's another issue of first team players coming to the end of their contracts, or stuck at the club and wanting to get off somewhere else but not being sold etc

Pretty sure any non payment of their wages would result in some kind of legal battle

It's a right mess

Not just in football but everywhere you look in life during this Covid 19 thing

Everyone being affected in some way or another

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I was meaning stuff like this really..

For example - How many of those moaning about footballers have volunteered to go get prescriptions for vulnerable people?

Yes mate, I’m sure I mentioned the Murphy brothers in my first response to you. 
Although I haven’t heard of any others. 

5 minutes ago, ruusowl said:

Completely agree.

And I agree at not pointing the finger at the players, clubs just need to get their wage budgets in order and adjust their transfer budgets.

Amen to that my friend

It would take one hell of a shift in culture for that to happen though.

Once the football starts up again and the money starts flowing from advertising and betting companies again I'm sure those in charge will all get greedy and reckless again

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Yes mate, I’m sure I mentioned the Murphy brothers in my first response to you. 
Although I haven’t heard of any others. 

Ahh I missed that as speed reading - sorry mate.

I've not heard of others but that doesn't mean they're not donating or contributing.

Some people do charity stuff privately without the need for filming themselves doing it or getting in the press.

I'd like to think the majority of our players are all contributing something somewhere and happy to give them the benefit of doubt totally.

Owlstalk Shop