Moral Vacuum

Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

How long since any of our players kicked a ball ........ but still they are collecting 100% of their wages whilst the majority of fans and the public at large are paying the price of covid19 - when can we expect a respose from the privileged few ?

Guest The Claw

It goes through the players union to be agreed for pay cuts unless they volunteer to do it, if the club furlough them then the tax payer pays the 80% . Then we get ridiculed for buying players with the money the club saved on wages- what would you do?

Just now, The Claw said:

It goes through the players union to be agreed for pay cuts unless they volunteer to do it, if the club furlough them then the tax payer pays the 80% . Then we get ridiculed for buying players with the money the club saved on wages- what would you do?

that really should be end of thread …...

37 minutes ago, leicesterowl said:

How long since any of our players kicked a ball ........ but still they are collecting 100% of their wages whilst the majority of fans and the public at large are paying the price of covid19 - when can we expect a respose from the privileged few ?

You’re unlikely to get a response.

Football wages are obscene, the current crisis compounds what a upside down world is when tax payers money could go to individuals who are already millionaires.

Somebody might give us the wisdom of “it’s only a short career - they have to earn it while they can” Obviously, they can’t get a job in another line of work.

3 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Football wages are a disgrace and needs addressing. 

This situation might arrest the problem, those at the low end of the scale will feel it most.

But those parasites referred to as agents will operate in murky waters. Players will still want away and hold bigger clubs to ransom. 

I miss the game and club I grew up with, not what it has become. It doesn’t help that our club is a bag o’poo these days and money is a big part of that.

Is it possible that the term furlough means we could be indirectly giving money to the likes of Jordan Rhodes and Kieron Westwood ?

1 hour ago, leicesterowl said:

I just cannot for the life of me fathom this kind of thinking 

Owlstalk Shop

36 minutes ago, The Claw said:

They only get £2.5k a month though not £30k a week. I’d furlough the lot of them and pay the office and normal staff. 

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

After what happened to me a few weeks ago I've really fell out of love with football. There is definitely more to life than watching overpaid crap players on a weekend and midweek 

I lived and breathed Wednesday but not anymore. I'll still look for results on soccer Saturday from clubs. 

What happened? You ok?

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I just cannot for the life of me fathom this kind of thinking 

People are angry and confused. Sport has always been the outlet to release our frustrations on society.

I’m sure they’re are a few philanthropists within the game,  I’m sure many footballers are worried too - but their worries are less likely to be about paying the household bills on a weekly basis.

4 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

After what happened to me a few weeks ago I've really fell out of love with football. There is definitely more to life than watching overpaid crap players on a weekend and midweek 

I lived and breathed Wednesday but not anymore. I'll still look for results on soccer Saturday from clubs. 

Wouldn’t pry to ask what happened, but many fans have moments that make them question the sanity of following a team like ours.

Hope you’re alright now, and like you say, so much more to life. 

19 minutes ago, Stripes or die said:

Why? It’s a fair point I think.

Footballers are paid unbelievable  amounts of money versus people in everyday jobs.

Pee’s me off too.

Because I cannot understand the logic

Someone sat in their house in Sheffield, isolating during Covid 19 outbreak, decides to point their frustrations at footballers simply because they earn more money than most do.

It defies logic.

What benefit would you see from all our players forfeiting their wages?

None. 

None at all.

So why even think about footballers and how much money they earn?

What about the highly paid bankers who crashed the economy yet still earn eye watering amounts?

Why not target the bankers?

What about the huge bonuses paid to company CEO's whilst they pay people minimum wage or worse?

Why not target those CEO's?

What about the companies like Amazon, Facebook, Starbucks etc who don't pay tax in this country despite making staggering amounts of money from the Uk?

If those companies paid their fair share of tax then this country would be LOADED

Why not focus on those companies? 

The amount you could bring in from those companies just paying their taxes would make footballers wages look like spare change in your pocket.

That's why I can't understand someone sat at home deciding to target footballers and suggesting that somehow giving up their wages would make anything any better.

Makes zero sense to me.

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

Neil, why don't them companies pay tax here.not a dig just a question as I don't know answer 

Because they can get away with it whilst governments allow them to.

If the UK public put relentless pressure on the government to make them pay tax, then they'd be embarrassed into dealing with it.

But we don't

We look at things like footballer wages, or ranting about Piers Morgan etc

lol

Owlstalk Shop

PS - this one is for anyone still thinking footballers wages is in any way important

This is just one example, from one company. 

Just one.

There are loads loads more.

Check this out..

BP made £5.6 billion in profit in 2017

Let's just say that again...

Five point six BILLION pounds profit.

They paid ZERO tax

Get this though

BP still received tax credits payout from the UK government worth £134 million.

So not only did BP pay no tax despite making 5.6 BILLION POUNDS IN PROFIT, the UK actually paid THEM £134 million.

NOW tell me the footballers wages are worth debating

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Because I cannot understand the logic

Someone sat in their house in Sheffield, isolating during Covid 19 outbreak, decides to point their frustrations at footballers simply because they earn more money than most do.

It defies logic.

What benefit would you see from all our players forfeiting their wages?

None. 

None at all.

So why even think about footballers and how much money they earn?

What about the highly paid bankers who crashed the economy yet still earn eye watering amounts?

Why not target the bankers?

What about the huge bonuses paid to company CEO's whilst they pay people minimum wage or worse?

Why not target those CEO's?

What about the companies like Amazon, Facebook, Starbucks etc who don't pay tax in this country despite making staggering amounts of money from the Uk?

If those companies paid their fair share of tax then this country would be loaded

Why not focus on those companies? 

The amount you could bring in from those companies just paying their taxes would make footballers wages look like spare change in your pocket.

That's why I can't understand someone sat at home deciding to target footballers and suggesting that somehow giving up their wages would make anything better.

Makes zero sense to me.

The issue regarding the big companies who avoid tax for the money they make in this country is fair point and also the bankers.

However, you run a football forum, people on here want to talk about football and footballers and specifically our football club.

Our club has taken the decision to furlough non playing staff and pay them the remaining 20%. Fair enough to some extent given we are a loss-making company and the sources of income have been halted.

But we are a loss-making company because of the salaries we pay to players - and those players are seemingly still getting the full amount of pay despite not being in a position to earn it. This is obviously going to cost the club (and the owner) so it is no surprise that some fans want to discuss it.

The fact it is taking so long for the players and clubs to come to any agreement through their discussions with the involvement of the PFA is not helping matters.

7 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But we are a loss-making company because of the salaries we pay to players - and those players are seemingly still getting the full amount of pay despite not being in a position to earn it. This is obviously going to cost the club (and the owner) so it is no surprise that some fans want to discuss it.

Chansiri is footing the bill so it's not costing anyone anything other than the Chairman.

Any forfeiting of player wages won't impact anyone on this forum one jot.

Not one bit.

It won't make anything better, won't affect anyone in any way, and won't benefit anyone at all.

It's nonsensical

Getting Google, Facebook, Starbucks to pay their taxes WILL benefit the economy beyond belief however.

But yeah..

Let's have a pop at Barry Bannan and the boys for receiving the pay the club said it would pay them in their contracts when they signed it cos that'll make everything ok in life...

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri is footing the bill so it's not costing anyone anything other than the Chairman.

Any forfeiting of player wages won't impact anyone on this forum one jot.

Not one bit.

It won't make anything better, won't affect anyone in any way, and won't benefit anyone at all.

It's nonsensical

Furloughing the non-playing staff costs the tax payer money.