Michael Cunningham

On 25/04/2019 at 18:29, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Rooney is part of the exception, how many players are ready made for the top league at 18?

18 year olds shouldn't be expecting first team footy, that's just rounduns.

Rooney, Owen, Lampard, Mbappe. After that who?

I put 'wanting' not 'expecting', anyone who 'expects' to be picked to play at that age likely has a questionable attitude. 

On ‎25‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:11, Bluesteel said:

I wonder if our scouts drive up there with bare feet, scoffing toblerone 

from what I remember of our scouts I had all on to get them as far as Retford  lol hope it's changed since then 

• Haha 1

On 26/04/2019 at 01:35, Rogers said:

SWFC and Scottish players = disaster.  Can't remember many good players (or successes) over the past 40 years.  Steve Maclean, Andy Blair, are the standout against the Gary Teales, Donnelly, O'Donnell, Stevie May, Maurice Ross, David Graham, Mark Reynolds, Paul Heffernan, etc.

too true, but hopefully these days the club is 'shopping' in a better quality store.

On 26/04/2019 at 09:40, Mycroft said:

Seems a silly idea to dismiss a players ability due to the district he's from. 

it is, but the 'general trend' in scottish footballers over the last 5 decades hasn't been upwards, I would be very interested if anyone could throw any 'light' on the subject as I do wonder why there has been such a huge change?

On 25/04/2019 at 19:43, cognacbarnowl said:

But we bought Jimmy Mac from Chelsea, and Tommy Craig wasn't exactly cheap as we paid what was then a record fee for a teenager. Neither of them unknown.

And Bobby Craig, for a season, was as good an inside forward as I've seen.

On 25/04/2019 at 19:43, cognacbarnowl said:

But we bought Jimmy Mac from Chelsea, and Tommy Craig wasn't exactly cheap as we paid what was then a record fee for a teenager. Neither of them unknown.

i remember being there for Tommy's debut it was a big thing then 100k for a kid wtf ? but we paid it cos we could  press photographers everywhere 

I thought the world had gone mad it was an incredible amount of money 

but what a player