We need Westwood back

Last season when dawson came in mainly in cup games his catching at crosses was good and some people even commented how they prefer him to wildsmith because dawson more commanding in the box. The odd flap is deffo a confidence thing that will dissapear when he gets a few good catches under his belt. The televised games seem to make him more uncertain on crosses and that is just his age and being on the big stage after a few flappy moments have been at very noticeable times.

2 minutes ago, DesWalker said:

Maybe a misinterpretation of what I meant by footballing. 

Agree to disagree. 

A fit KW should be our number 1 in my opinion. He may not be the long term future. But he sure is the best goalkeeper at the club. 

Can't disagree with you I was just saying why I thought Jos is playing Dawson over Westwood.

And that the answer is not put Westwood in goal as the problem is the defence and the way we play and if we play like we are with Westwood in goal it maybe worse as he can't use both feet aswell as Dawson does.

So stop playing out from the back then yeah go with Westwood, best keeper. 

Continue to play out from the back then it has to be Dawson.

1 minute ago, theoldtimer said:

I was impressed with the villa and bristol performances. But Stoke, West Brom, Leeds and Boro, we hung on with our fingers nails. Seemed a step back from Carlos in his first two seasons. The fact Dawson has had to save so many shots with 5 in defense makes me question how good the changes at swfc really are. Without Reach's wonder strikes, we'd probably have lost 3/4 home games.

if buts and maybes ! if the referees this season we have had was up to scratch we would have won more games. Pelupessy gets punished every tackle unfairly. BB has been booked 5 times this season already yet a forearm smash in fletchers face is missed. Last min borough defender sat on the ball on the goal line and gets a free kick. Terrible refereeing. If we had been the team offending Pullis would have been in every paper making it known that referees cant let these things go. I am sure we would have had JP sent off if he did the same as happened to fletcher. Joao was also scythed down studs up with ball no where near and no card. I know it is excuses but seriously if palmer had sat on the ball on our goal line with not a single challenge that made him go to ground we would concede a penalty. Reach has scored some stunning goals recently but none can be called flukes. Jos was quick in tightening our defence when he first came to swfc last season. I don't think Jos can be blamed for some of the individual errors that experienced pro's have made that have cost us goals this season. Lees today was really poor mistake. I think he may be the problem. As captain he not vocal enough at marshalling players into position or who should be marking who at corners and free kicks etc. Hector seems to be playing a more forward role and although i like his defending his passing can be a little optimistic at times. Lees should be dropped for next match and pudil replacing him or hector moving back and onomagh coming in. We missed onomagh today imo.

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

Westwood wasnt faultless and hes not going to be here next season,we need to move on,the sight of old duffy bamboozling Van Acken then mugging old westy at his near post needs no further explanation,his back and knee problems restrict his movement

Its a reoccurring nightmare I have. Fleck beats westwood and he never moves. Then no organisation in defence as ex owl clarke walks through a stagnant defence to pass the ball past westwood who never dived. (the type of goal KW would supposedly stop due to his communication.) Then the duffy near post 3 yards off goal line beating westwood at near post with no goal to aim at. It gets worse when clarke beats westwood racing off his goal line with no chance of reaching ball first. If Dawson had been guilty of this performance it would be remembered for ever. Yet some think KW is still the best in the league. If you seriously think this watch the derby again. Then watch a few other games from last season. Yes KW was a great keeper. I am gutted he not what he once was. But we have to accept it and take the rose tinted glasses off and face reality. The best keeper we have on current form is playing in the 1st team. Lets back him and he will flourish from the 'love' and feedback from the support. So much of goal keeping is confidence and all this KW rubbish must be affecting him. His latest interview almost says that.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Its a reoccurring nightmare I have. Fleck beats westwood and he never moves. Then no organisation in defence as ex owl clarke walks through a stagnant defence to pass the ball past westwood who never dived. (the type of goal KW would supposedly stop due to his communication.) Then the duffy near post 3 yards off goal line beating westwood at near post with no goal to aim at. It gets worse when clarke beats westwood racing off his goal line with no chance of reaching ball first. If Dawson had been guilty of this performance it would be remembered for ever. Yet some think KW is still the best in the league. If you seriously think this watch the derby again. Then watch a few other games from last season. Yes KW was a great keeper. I am gutted he not what he once was. But we have to accept it and take the rose tinted glasses off and face reality. The best keeper we have on current form is playing in the 1st team. Lets back him and he will flourish from the 'love' and feedback from the support. So much of goal keeping is confidence and all this KW rubbish must be affecting him. His latest interview almost says that.

Spot on bud

Game before the derby was Cardiff away. Winning 1 - nil then last minute Cardiff get a free kick 35 yards out. The direct shot is hit at avg pace about a yard inside the post westwood is closest to. KW gets to the ball and pushes it back into 6 yard box for Cardiff to equalise. A game we should have won. We played much better than them and bar a bad goal keeping error in last min we would have won. Pudil rescued a massive flap by KW from a long throw in 2 mins before. If KW could get enough hand on ball to bring it back into play then putting the ball out for a corner or out wide towards corner flag would be easier options than what he did. 2 points dropped and a real moral blow before derby game. In 2 games (Cardiff and United) Westwood in 17/18 season before his injury cost us 4 goals and at least 2 points. This is the form that Jos sees and why Dawson is now No.1. I watched the games back just now to be sure my memory serves me correctly and its reminded me how important Kieren Lee is and how good he is. If Jos can get his fitness sorted it would really be worth perseverance to get him sorted even if it means another drastic op or some new and strange therapy to sort him. He is class and just what we miss and his skills to buy would be astronomical.

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Game before the derby was Cardiff away. Winning 1 - nil then last minute Cardiff get a free kick 35 yards out. The direct shot is hit at avg pace about a yard inside the post westwood is closest to. KW gets to the ball and pushes it back into 6 yard box for Cardiff to equalise. A game we should have won. We played much better than them and bar a bad goal keeping error in last min we would have won. Pudil rescued a massive flap by KW from a long throw in 2 mins before. If KW could get enough hand on ball to bring it back into play then putting the ball out for a corner or out wide towards corner flag would be easier options than what he did. 2 points dropped and a real moral blow before derby game. In 2 games (Cardiff and United) Westwood in 17/18 season before his injury cost us 4 goals and at least 2 points. This is the form that Jos sees and why Dawson is now No.1. I watched the games back just now to be sure my memory serves me correctly and its reminded me how important Kieren Lee is and how good he is. If Jos can get his fitness sorted it would really be worth perseverance to get him sorted even if it means another drastic op or some new and strange therapy to sort him. He is class and just what we miss and his skills to buy would be astronomical.

My personal favourite was when he raced 30 yards out from his goal against Sunderland at home and gifted them an open net to score

So the argument has got round to Kieran Westwood being a crap keeper, even though nearly every pundit rated him about the best in the division, and he is a republic of ireland international. Yeh that makes sense, because Jos cant be wrong.

Edited by theoldtimer

15 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

My personal favourite was when he raced 30 yards out from his goal against Sunderland at home and gifted them an open net to score

OMG how i forgot that !!! Imagine if Dawson did that !! Owlstalk would go into meltdown !!!! The guy for sunderland was outside the penalty box before he crossed the ball while westwood was racing out towards him. We drew 1 - 1 i think that is another 2 points dropped down to KW last season.

2 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

So the argument has got round to Kieran Westwood being a crap keeper, even though nearly every pundit rated him about the best in the division, and he is a republic of ireland international. Yeh that makes sense, because Jos cant be wrong.

He was poor last season and i have no argument that Jos has made Dawson No.1

4 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

He's not crap it was just very obvious to people with a brain cell that he was on the decline last season

2 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

He was poor last season and i have no argument that Jos has made Dawson No.1

Dont agree. Dawson has been poor every game Ihe's played.

Westwood was named in the 2014–15 Championship PFA Team of the Year,[12] the first Sheffield Wednesday player to appear in such a team since Nigel Pearson, David Hirst and John Sheridan in 1990–91.

2 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

Dont agree. Dawson has been poor every game Ihe's played.

Westwood was named in the 2014–15 Championship PFA Team of the Year,[12] the first Sheffield Wednesday player to appear in such a team since Nigel Pearson, David Hirst and John Sheridan in 1990–91.

Which goals is Dawson at fault for ?? 2014-15 KW deserved the award. If KW was in that form now he would be No1 no doubt. We cant live in the past

Just now, hirstys_achilles said:

Which goals is Dawson at fault for ?? 2014-15 KW deserved the award. If KW was in that form now he would be No1 no doubt. We cant live in the past

No clean sheets under Dawson, with 5 in defense for most of his games, is the key factor. The numbers dont lie. I think he is poor overall, doesn't inspire confidence in any area of his goalkeeping, and I've watched every game he's played, every minute.

Westwood is only 33, not old for a keeper, to suggest he is past it is foolish.

5 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

No clean sheets under Dawson, with 5 in defense for most of his games, is the key factor. The numbers dont lie. I think he is poor overall, doesn't inspire confidence in any area of his goalkeeping, and I've watched every game he's played, every minute.

A goalkeeper is only as good as his defence and our defence is...

Edited by s6 owl

6 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Your goalkeeper is only as good as his defence and our defence is...

Yup, the defense isnt great, but it wasnt under Westwood, he saved us 6-10 points a season under Carlos; my opinion, and why he got the PFA award.

People underestimate what a quality keeper can do. Cloughie never did, alot on Owlstalk seem to.

I dont think Dawson is a terrible keeper, just that Westwood is far superior and would save us points.

Edited by theoldtimer

1 minute ago, theoldtimer said:

Never said he past it. Although I do think his body has got injuries that as he got older have affected his mobility. Foolish is to ignore what was plain to see last season that Westwood not the keeper he once was. Watch his performances last season again. Numbers dont lie and the stats say Dawson has made the most saves in the division. Dawson is a brilliant shot stopper. His problem has been crosses under pressure. But has yet to concede a goal due to this. The 5 man defense is really 3 with attacking full backs but is irrelevant in the context of blaming 1 player for the lack of clean sheets. Very unfair to use a stat that is obviously correct in a manner that is incorrect (blaming 1 player) Dawson has not been totally to blame for 1 single goal conceded so far. If Dawson has been poor in what game has his poor performance cost us points.

8 minutes ago, theoldtimer said:

Yup, the defense isnt great, but it wasnt under Westwood, he saved us 6-10 points a season under Carlos; my opinion, and why he got the PFA award.

People underestimate what a quality keeper can do. Cloughie never did, alot on Owlstalk seem to.

I dont think Dawson is a terrible keeper, just that Westwood is far superior and would save us points.

you still in 2015. You said Dawson has been poor every game

Edited by hirstys_achilles
addition