We need Westwood back

I not putting any of the derby goals on here as nobody wants reminding of those. At least 2 goals probably 3 and more than likely all 4 can be regarded as goal keeping errors that KW of 2015 season would have saved or not given the opposition an easy chance to score. Dawson is the future lets back him like Jos has. The confidence will work wonders for the young guy.

Absolutely flabbergasted that we are having threads moaning about Dawson when 2 defenders cocked up all on their own.

You absolutely cannot fault Dawson for Thorniley not heading a ball and for Lees giving the ball straight to the opposition striker. You simply can't. Anyone that does is an absolute plank

I think we could have a crack at the play-offs this season not because we’re a good side but there’s much of a muchness this season in this division and we do have a bit of quality in the side that could make the difference and have us there or thereabouts.

I totally understood the situation not to start Westwood when it looked like he’d be leaving in the summer but now he’s still here I can’t understand why we wouldn’t use a keeper who’s helped us to two play-off campaigns. If you’re going to go with youth then why not stick with Wildsmith who was one of our best performers last season and because of his enforced gametime last season is ahead of Dawson in his development. I just don’t see how Dawson is seen as a better prospect than Wildsmith at the moment?

Stick with Dawson and we’re writing this season off IMO in the hope that he gets better with next season in mind not knowing what the general future holds given the Chairman’s comments at the start of the season of us being in serious trouble should we not get promoted?

9 hours ago, theoldtimer said:

I dont care if the manager has fallen out with him. This game isn't about making friends, its about winning.

We need an experienced keeper who can organise a defense. Not a clean sheet all season with five in defense.

I wish some of our supporters would stop blaming Dawson and get off his back.last night both Boro goals were down to shocking defending from our back four,  nothing to do with Dawson. 

FFS .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

As put by someone else on here Jos's eyes won't be painted on. If he could and wanted to play Westwood because he thought Dawson was at fault here he would.

Even if Chansiri is telling him look you can't play Westwood at all. Don't care.

Then the fact Wildsmith has not played in one of the league games tells you that Dawson is not the problem here.

wildsmith played in last u23 game and was shocking ,why aint wildsmith been loaned out ? giving him an u23 game every 3 months aint going to improve him is it. we should be using westwood whilst giving wildsmith the experience ,then let westwood go in summer and assess then if wildsmith is good enough or do we need another keeper next summer, dawson for me is a 6/10 keeper 

30 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

wildsmith played in last u23 game and was shocking ,why aint wildsmith been loaned out ? giving him an u23 game every 3 months aint going to improve him is it. we should be using westwood whilst giving wildsmith the experience ,then let westwood go in summer and assess then if wildsmith is good enough or do we need another keeper next summer, dawson for me is a 6/10 keeper 

I agree seems daft Westwood isnt at least reserve keeper allowing Wildsmith to move out in loan. 

As for Dawson when he gets a better defence in front of him he will inevitably get better.

44 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think we could have a crack at the play-offs this season not because we’re a good side but there’s much of a muchness this season in this division and we do have a bit of quality in the side that could make the difference and have us there or thereabouts.

I totally understood the situation not to start Westwood when it looked like he’d be leaving in the summer but now he’s still here I can’t understand why we wouldn’t use a keeper who’s helped us to two play-off campaigns. If you’re going to go with youth then why not stick with Wildsmith who was one of our best performers last season and because of his enforced gametime last season is ahead of Dawson in his development. I just don’t see how Dawson is seen as a better prospect than Wildsmith at the moment?

Stick with Dawson and we’re writing this season off IMO in the hope that he gets better with next season in mind not knowing what the general future holds given the Chairman’s comments at the start of the season of us being in serious trouble should we not get promoted?

So we would have been much better off had we stuck with Wildsmith then. 

He was dropped by Jos for Dawson so clearly he doesn't do something that Dawson does.

My guess would be playing it out from the back.

Dawson is not the problem. it's just a team getting used to the new way Jos wants them to play.

58 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So we would have been much better off had we stuck with Wildsmith then. 

He was dropped by Jos for Dawson so clearly he doesn't do something that Dawson does.

My guess would be playing it out from the back.

Dawson is not the problem. it's just a team getting used to the new way Jos wants them to play.

He’s part of the problem as his inability to command his area puts pressure on his defence that they obviously can’t cope with. And as for his kicking Pickford and Neuer he certainly isn’t. I’ve seen nothing from his distribution so far that makes him infinitely better than Wildsmith and Westwood but you probably have so we’ll agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

He’s part of the problem as his inability to command his area puts pressure on his defence that they obviously can’t cope with. And as for his kicking Pickford and Neuer he certainly isn’t. I’ve seen nothing from his distribution so far that makes him infinitely better than Wildsmith and Westwood but you probably have so we’ll agree to disagree.

All I have seen is that he can use both feet as good as one another. Takes kicks with both. Meaning our not very good ball playing defenders don't have to be weary of playing it to him on a particular side. they just kick it back and he will deal with it. 

As a goal keeper he probably is the worst of the 3. 

So this is the only "footballing reason " I can come up with.

15 hours ago, theoldtimer said:

I dont care if the manager has fallen out with him. This game isn't about making friends, its about winning.

We need an experienced keeper who can organise a defense. Not a clean sheet all season with five in defense.

So let me get this right,

we get beaten at home by a brutal team who should have been down to ten men. 

Our captain and most experienced  defender had a nightmare so let’s blame Matt Dawson..

Yep that’s a good idea..

5 hours ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Did you see Mark Duffys goal last year?

Exactly, there is no way we'd have conceded that goal with Westwood in between the ....oh hang on, we did.  I find it strange when people comment that this keeper wouldn't have been beaten from there.  I like Westwood and would feel more comfortable with him in goal, and I suspect a few of our players would also agree. However, like every other keeper, he didn't get it right all of the time and let's face it he's never going to play for us again.

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

All I have seen is that he can use both feet as good as one another. Takes kicks with both. Meaning our not very good ball playing defenders don't have to be weary of playing it to him on a particular side. they just kick it back and he will deal with it. 

As a goal keeper he probably is the worst of the 3. 

So this is the only "footballing reason " I can come up with.

Fair enough but if he’s the worst of the three keepers we have then he probably shouldn’t be playing. Keeping the ball out of the net and instilling confidence in your defenders are two of the basic attributes for a keeper even in the modern game surely? I’ve lost count of the amount of times Hector looks bemused at Dawson’s punching and handling?

4 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I agree seems daft Westwood isnt at least reserve keeper allowing Wildsmith to move out in loan. 

As for Dawson when he gets a better defence in front of him he will inevitably get better.

It wouldn't surprise me if Westwood refuses to be reserve keeper :ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Fair enough but if he’s the worst of the three keepers we have then he probably shouldn’t be playing. Keeping the ball out of the net and instilling confidence in your defenders are two of the basic attributes for a keeper even in the modern game surely? I’ve lost count of the amount of times Hector looks bemused at Dawson’s punching and handling?

2018f7aff4966ec0b7cd44e39e8d5a7c.gif

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

His likes something he is doing or he would have been out by now. We have a manager who isn't afraid to drop anyone not doing there job properly so Dawson must be doing ok.

If we’re picking players on past glories rather than current form and ability can I suggest we get calls into pressman, walker and Palmer too. 

I mean we we lack a quick CB and box to box CM workhorse so let’s get them in. 

All jokes aside I’m of the opinion that Westwood will be the next Lewis Mcgugan and he’ll do very little after leaving us. And all those that called for him back in the team will be as silent as all who called for LM a few seasons back. 

15 hours ago, yeadonowl said:

So with Westwood in the side Thornily wouldn’t have let the ball bounce for the first goal, he’d have dealt with it properly by heading it away and for the second Lees wouldn’t have turned into trouble and completely cocked up

Not forgetting Westwood would have saved them both anyway

the problems lay squarely at the back 4/5s door tonight. Only Hector can say he had a reasonable game, the others were poor at best

I hear what you say but whether you like him or hate him, Westwood is a leader.Lees cocked up monumental style but were there anyone near him telling to him  to kick the sh*t out of the ball. No there wasn't and what I did see which shows at total imbalance was BB giving it large to young Thorniley after his wee wee tail up but I dont recall BB doing that to Lees. Westwood doesn't give a monkeys about dishing out instructions ro whoever, Lees is not a leader by any stretch of the imagination and that is one of the key issues with Wednesday at the moment. We are certainly missing a Westwood for more than one reason.