Jump to content


torres

Having Slept on it...

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, torres said:

Has anyone got a name for the Position Reach was supposed to have played yesterday??

 

 

On holiday at present so missed the game. Read this and thought of the Rugby position "First five-eighth "

Any help.

Did Bazza do any "play action fakes " NFL just asking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 hours ago, torres said:

Has anyone got a name for the Position Reach was supposed to have played yesterday??

 

 

I've slept on it and had nightmares about what Reach was supposed to be doing.

 

On the continent I think they'd call it a false nine.

 

The worst thing about it all is Bannan was getting up into the same position and tracking back. A proper box to box midfield display. I think Reach owes at least Bannan an apology.

 

The Cherry on top was our two strikers were on the wing most of the game.

 

The irony is there was a thread on here not so long ago discussing if Reach could play centre forward. Never again after yesterday.

 

Reach has to do more defensively. For me he tries to be to clever going into challenges. He's going to end up getting seriously injured if he keeps doing what he's doing. Far better he puts his foot through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I've slept on it and had nightmares about what Reach was supposed to be doing.

 

On the continent I think they'd call it a false nine.

 

The worst thing about it all is Bannan was getting up into the same position and tracking back. A proper box to box midfield display. I think Reach owes at least Bannan an apology.

 

The Cherry on top was our two strikers were on the wing most of the game.

 

The irony is there was a thread on here not so long ago discussing if Reach could play centre forward. Never again after yesterday.

 

Reach has to do more defensively. For me he tries to be to clever going into challenges. He's going to end up getting seriously injured if he keeps doing what he's doing. Far better he puts his foot through it.

 

 

Regards his defending-he just looks scared to death of getting hurt to me. So powder puff it’s unreal 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

it is a lot more to do  with how Jos is asking him to play rather than Reach himself and to be fair to him we need to recognise this. Jos played Hutch in this position earlier in the season and that was worse nonsense.

 

He is obviously being told to play up against their defensive midfield player, yesterday that was Woods. By definition a defensive midfielder rarely goes forward so by consequence Reach rarely went back. He just shuttles between the centre halfs and the midfielder never touching the ball. Once the ball is played past him he stays with the midfielder never tracking back.. Often yesterday he was our most forward player while Matias , Joao and even Fletcher were chasing back.

 

It's rubbish from Jos.

 

If he wants somevody to play up there play Joao or Matias and move Reach into their wide position where he can use his strengths .

If he changes the role to more of an orthodox midfielder then Reach will be fine.

 

If he was told to play up against Woods he should get halfof Woods MOM trophy, best player on either side for me aided by nobody marking him. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, torres said:

 

 

Regards his defending-he just looks scared to death of getting hurt to me. So powder puff it’s unreal 

 

 

Maybe he's broken his leg before. He's clearly got an issue going into challenges, which doesn't leave us in a great position having spent five million on him.

 

He's a good player, but we have to be tougher in midfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

it is a lot more to do  with how Jos is asking him to play rather than Reach himself and to be fair to him we need to recognise this. Jos played Hutch in this position earlier in the season and that was worse nonsense.

 

He is obviously being told to play up against their defensive midfield player, yesterday that was Woods. By definition a defensive midfielder rarely goes forward so by consequence Reach rarely went back. He just shuttles between the centre halfs and the midfielder never touching the ball. Once the ball is played past him he stays with the midfielder never tracking back.. Often yesterday he was our most forward player while Matias , Joao and even Fletcher were chasing back.

 

It's rubbish from Jos.

 

If he wants somevody to play up there play Joao or Matias and move Reach into their wide position where he can use his strengths .

If he changes the role to more of an orthodox midfielder then Reach will be fine.

 

It wasn't great tactics, but Reach could have done more for the team, especially in the first twenty minutes.

 

He's been given a chance and let Jos down though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

If he was told to play up against Woods he should get halfof Woods MOM trophy, best player on either side for me aided by nobody marking him. 

 

As I said how do you mark a defensive midfield player when he can always simply pass it to the unmarked centre halfs who were free most of the time. You can't.

The answer is you drop deeper into midfield , get on the ball and make the defensive midfielder actually defend. Would Woods have been as comfortable with Reach running at him from deeper. I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

It wasn't great tactics, but Reach could have done more for the team, especially in the first twenty minutes.

 

He's been given a chance and let Jos down though.

 

Given a chance to do what.?

He was player of the season last season and has already done well in 3 different positions this season before Jos has managed to find one that doesn't suit him.

He played exactly the same in the same position against Ipswich and Jos has left him there.

Blame the manager not the player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, torres said:

Has anyone got a name for the Position Reach was supposed to have played yesterday??

 

 

He was almost invisible yesterday for large parts of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, torres said:

Has anyone got a name for the Position Reach was supposed to have played yesterday??

 

 

False false 9.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tarquin said:

If he was told to play up against Woods he should get halfof Woods MOM trophy, best player on either side for me aided by nobody marking him. 

 

If we got someone with bit of pace and know how to get close to Woods, we would have created big problems for them, and solved most of ours.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Beholder said:

You've talked one of our best players out of the side. 

 

I think he can be inconsistent though and needs to sort his playing position out. 

 

I haven't said there isn't a place for him. 

 

I'm simply stating, that he now has serious competition for his place...something he's not had for 18 months now. 

 

And if he continues to play in a role or put in a performance he did yesterday, his place will, rightly, become under threat. 

 

I've stated all along...if Reach plays centrally, it has to be as a box-to-box midfielder. His game is about carrying the ball forward, making direct runs and utilising his tremendous engine that he's got. 

 

To play as a No.10, who either need to be able to drift and find spaces, and look to unlock defences playing within those tight spaces...or, they need to get beyond the striker and be a genuine goal scorer threat. Reach isn't a playmaker, nor does he get himself in enough goalscoring positions or score enough goals. 

 

For me, he plays in a 4-3-3 or he plays out wide (either as a winger on the left winger, or as a forward who cuts inside from the right flank). I'm yet to be convinced we've got a player in our squad who could play the No.10 role (Onomah, may be, but he looks similar to Reach in so much that he likes to drive forward)...dare I say it, Abdi is perhaps the only one within the squad who could play it effectively. 

 

It's not a major issue. We've got results utilising this system, whether it be a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3. But yesterdays change of role, certainly didn't suit Reach. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×