best priced 30-1 to win the league

On 21/07/2018 at 14:56, Almat said:

And Cardiff did? lolAll about the manager in this League, look at what Wilder did on a shoestring budget last season. For all the worship on here, IMO Carlos was a poor manager luckily given a massive budget but he wouldn't have got us up even if DC spent twice as much. Jos seems far more to my liking so far, getting the basics right like, incredibly, fitness. How embarrassing that he took over a 2nd tier professional club with some players earning over 30 grand a week and the squad he inherited were so unfit! Beggars belief. 

Absolutely bang on about CC there.He should have been sacked the moment Huddersfield beat us in the PO semi last season.:duntmatter:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Absolutely bang on about CC there.He should have been sacked the moment Huddersfield beat us in the PO semi last season.:duntmatter:

It wouldn't have mattered how good a manger Carlos is.

If you lose two play-offs there'll be a hangover the following season.

As soon as Chansiri asked him to stay, last season was effectively written off.

Injuries played a big part, of course, but we were bobbage even before the crisis struck.

The writing was on the wall against Gers.

16 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

Missing a stand-out CH to form an enduring partnership with Lees and one other in defence. Missing an established RB/RWB and if Reach is used elsewhere, probably the same on the left. Whilst we have FF back we still lack options in terms of a game-changer in terms of skill and pace, to stretch a game. Depending on where SH plays (not that we can rely on him to play too many games), also lack a midfield general who can add bite. Slimmed down squad and a reliance on youth players coming through and previously broken players coming back. No depth and some quality does not add up to a promotion winning side.

Can't disagree with any of the things you say, and the weaknesses you cite are there for all to see.

However, these problems are nothing new.

We've always lacked pace, an animal in the middle, and a quality CB.

Not to mention fullbacks/wingbacks of the required standard.

Yet we got to two play-offs.

It's about injuries.

Hutch is a crock, and were he not then he'd be in the PL, but the rest aren't.

It's us, not them.

A player's only got to cross that bridge and he's got an Achilles injury in one leg, and a flaming damaged cruciate in the other.

Jos reckons he knows what the cause is, well good luck with that.

Chris Turner suspects that it's the training pitch which is too hard.

I fear it is our facilities, because this injury jinx persists irrespective of who the personnel are.

Either that, or the club's cursed.

On 19/07/2018 at 08:23, james o connor said:

I’m not that daft to agree to that on here !  But I will happily bet any monetary sum with you yes ! 

Yes, and I think your money's safe.

Wednesday won't win the league IMO, and to be honest, all things being equal, really the favourites should always be the ex-PL clubs, bearing in mind the advantage they have.

But I do see Wednesday as a team capable of challenging for the top six, based on the fact that we've done it twice before and that we showed such good form in the closing stages of last season.

Last season was mostly an aberration, though; a hangover coupled with an injury crisis which would have relegated a lot of teams in this division, including one across the way there.

The hangover appears to have cleared, and if we can stay relatively injury-free we have a chance.

But I think the title's beyond us, and frankly was in previous seasons too.

On 20/07/2018 at 16:51, frastheowl said:

Stoke will be the strongest side this season. Rowett a steady hand, spent good money on solid pros, and they'll add if needed. 

Not sure about Forest. Karanka is a manager who gets his sides organised, and they'll be better than last season. But, they were awful last season, and it's a lot of catching up to do, and a lot of gelling to be done quickly. If they start well, like Wolves did, they could really grow. But, I'm not too convinced by them. They haven't bought as well as Wolves did last season (and Wolves had already got some serious talent there before Santos rocked up with Neves, Boly and Jota). 

West Brom's squad will be strong also. Doubts over Moore however. Had they gone and got Wilder in the summer, I think they'd have been shoe-ins to return. 

I have a dreaded feeling about United this season. They fell short last season, but I think they'll end up investing the Brooks money wisely (and without upsetting the wage balance within the squad), and I can see them seriously challenging for a playoff place. 

We'll finish between 10th-14th I reckon in a pretty "meh" season. But, hopefully embedding some youngsters into our squad, allowing us to start again next summer once some of our big earners are off our books. 

United are a tough one to predict.

Paradoxically, because they looked so bob on paper, it meant that opponents underestimated them in the first half of last season (as we well know, Carlos).

That won't happen this season, and the element of surprise has now been lost.

Cootie was a big loss, but will he be the same player this season as in the first half of last?

Brooks will also be a loss, but is Waghorn a player who'll turn them into top six material? Maybe, maybe not.

Egan will make a difference, to be fair, and there are supposed to be others coming in too.

The hardest thing to replicate I think will be the momentum which they brought into last season.

Let's be honest and say that United's promotion season was one of the best seen in this city.

The real worry IMO isn't so much their playing staff, it's Wilder.

Which is why it was so disappointing when he decided to stay.

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, and I think your money's safe.

Wednesday won't win the league IMO, and to be honest, all things being equal, really the favourites should always be the ex-PL clubs, bearing in mind the advantage they have.

But I do see Wednesday as a team capable of challenging for the top six, based on the fact that we've done it twice before and that we showed such good form in the closing stages of last season.

Last season was mostly an aberration, though; a hangover coupled with an injury crisis which would have relegated a lot of teams in this division, including one across the way there.

The hangover appears to have cleared, and if we can stay relatively injury-free we have a chance.

But I think the title's beyond us, and frankly was in previous seasons too.

As above, top 6 is imo a realistic target, we need the balance of luck over the season to be on our side but that is the same for all clubs. 

We do have a chance. The main unknown is that nasty thing known as money, the main question can and if he can does Mr. Chansari want to finance 

another promotion bid.