Paul Warhurst – bit of nostalgia from WSC

According to some of the S2 lot Harry Maguire is the best English CB since Bobby Moore (no really, they said that!) seemingly mostly based on his ability to run with the ball from defence. 

So seeing as Warhurst was doing that better than Maguire 25 years ago they must have meant the best since Warhurst who was the best since Moore. 

• Haha 1

Have to say tainted but I prefer to remember the better memories and during that season he was remarkable as a converted striker despite being a solid reliable defender for us the previous season. It's telling that after that brilliant season, that he never scored as many goals as he did for us for the numerous clubs he played for after us, plus he reverted back to defence for Blackburn as soon has he left us.

I have to say tainted because you hear from other ex players or current players, saying that they'd be happy to play in any position for the good of the team. But even despite that, whenever I re-watch the brilliant highlights of that memorable season I re-enjoy the excitement of watching us back then and how fortunate we were back then compared with the majority of our time outside the top flight since. To watch top quality players and a exciting team that could mix it with the top teams.

It's hard to see us ever being as good as that again or ever having top class players like that again but in sport you just never know, the unpredictability and hope keeps us intrigued each and every season. But those memories of the early 90s team we had and the top quality players we had, will forever be my favourite time as a Wednesday and football fan.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scilly owl said:

I remember watching that match and being I seventh heaven.

I remember watching it with my grandfather, both of us stunned and amazed by the quality play; exciting goals, the thrilling atmosphere and the drama of it all. It really felt like it was our time, I still see it as the most exciting Wednesday game and Wednesday team that I have ever seen, even though remarkably we never won anything that season, it's still one of the most exciting seasons I can ever remember, along with the promotion and League Cup winning season.

Guest addedtime
1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

I remember watching it with my grandfather, both of us stunned and amazed by the quality play; exciting goals, the thrilling atmosphere and the drama of it all. It really felt like it was our time, I still see it as the most exciting Wednesday game and Wednesday team that I have ever seen, even though remarkably we never won anything that season, it's still one of the most exciting seasons I can ever remember, along with the promotion and League Cup winning season.

I went by myself to that game. We got wee wee wet through due to the roof just being empty beams. A brilliant night, hugging strange men!

1 hour ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Totally agree.

We were playing so well that when Warhurst was running at Hendry I can remember thinking “here comes a third”. There wasn’t a seconds doubt in my mind that he wouldn’t slot that one in.

• Like 1

That was the best half of football I have ever seen Wednesday play (although sadly I only watched it on telly). It makes you think what might have been if we had sold Hirst to Manure (it was at this time that they made their offer for Hirst) and kept Warhurst as his replacement.

Edited by Utah Owl